• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of Anime's Worst Sore Losers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Seto Kaiba literally threatened to commit suicide if he lost to Yugi during their rematch, so Yugi was forced to forfeit. Sure, it was because if he lost the duel his brother would be killed and he'd rather be dead than live without his brother, but it's still a bit sore-losery.

-Stuart Smith
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the Saber Marionette franchise could do with a rescue, as it is an interesting timepiece of how Anime was when I was a child,
Ralph Snackshi wrote:
Also I'd love to see a NA release of Mai Mai Miracle. Why on earth hasn't that happened already?
The Kickstarter was open to America, so it is possible that AllTheAnime has the license for America.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, which show would I want to see license rescued the most. There's the Law of Ueki... again, maybe this time it'll stick... one of Funimation's earliest shows Spiral just for the sake of my curiosity and then there's Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure which really should have been part of Funimation's Tenchi block.

Battle Athletes Victory! Wait, no... Actually, it could use it as it was only ever released on VHS and DVD singles
Why hasn't Sola/Sora been license rescued?
Steel Angel Kurumi, now that would be sweet.
Street Fighter II V. Far better than it had any need to be.

But which one would I most want to see? I don't know.

As for sore losers, Cell is tops in DBZ. His game, his rules, his loss, his overreaction. Kill everyone, destroy the Earth and a rarity among DBZ villains, himself as well. "You can't beat me, I quit... from life!"

Blowing up a planet... wait, didn't Cell blow up Kai's planet too? Does DB ever have new ideas anymore or do they just repaint the old ones?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok, someone needs to seriously clean up that poll because a good number of those choices, like Scrapped Princess, Higurashi, and Wolf's Rain, have not only been rescued, but are out on bluray now! And I believe Section23 has the rights for things like classic Kino's Journey and Azumanga Daioh and they're easy to get right now. And Discotek already has Marmalade Boy (and has released at least the first set as of this time), Boys Over Flowers, and Crusher Joe, both movie and OVA. Nozomi has all of the Gundam (if it's not out yet, give it time). And I forget who, but someone has at least part of Slam Dunk too.

As for me, how can you ask me to pick one? I picked Paranoia Agent (I'd love to have that on bluray), but Maison Ikkoku (I asked Viz at a convention, point blank, if they'd consider doing something for MI like they did for Ranma, but it sounds like "no" at this time), Zoids (dying for that slice of nostalgia!), my old school scifi/mecha homies like Dunbine, Giant Robo, GaoGaiGar, and VOTOMs, other lost classics like Hikaru no Go, Master Keaton, Monster. I just hope Discotek pays attention to the results of this survey and maybes tries to grab a few!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This flu is a real tough one. I looked up the history of H2N3, and it is pretty brutal, more so than the WHO had expected (which is why this year's flu shots have little effect). But hold on though, because you'll pull through because modern medicine and knowledge has advanced very much since the time it ravaged east Asia and North America in 1969-1970 as the Hong Kong Flu.

As for the list, I'd say Frieza is still the bigger sore loser thasn Beerus. Beerus getting angry is essentially a tantrum, and he calms down and/or falls asleep shortly after. When Goku defeated Frieza and showed him mercy by giving him the energy needed to get up and leave, Frieza took that energy and attempted to kill Goku one more time. And he didn't learn his lesson when he was rebuilt using robotic parts and took the battle to Goku's home while bringing his dad along. (And then tried again.) Beerus gives me the impression of someone who had to work his way to being the God of Destruction, as he takes his job seriously and gets nervous, rather than jealous, when someone like Goku appears to be a real threat to his position. Frieza never had to work for anything in his life. He was born with the power he had as an emperor. He is the worst at taking a loss in the Dragon Ball series because he grew up to adulthood without having lost at anything.

varmintx wrote:
I went with Paranoia Agent despite the fact that I already own it because it's a disgrace that Kon's work is being forgotten.

It is an unfortunate consequence when you're in an industry with so much new things to see coming out all the time. It's going to result in a ruthless move-forward mentality where anything from the past that didn't make an incredible cultural mark will be left behind.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Wow, which show would I want to see license rescued the most. There's the Law of Ueki... again, maybe this time it'll stick... one of Funimation's earliest shows Spiral just for the sake of my curiosity and then there's Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure which really should have been part of Funimation's Tenchi block.

Battle Athletes Victory! Wait, no... Actually, it could use it as it was only ever released on VHS and DVD singles
Why hasn't Sola/Sora been license rescued?
Steel Angel Kurumi, now that would be sweet.
Street Fighter II V. Far better than it had any need to be.

But which one would I most want to see? I don't know.

As for sore losers, Cell is tops in DBZ. His game, his rules, his loss, his overreaction. Kill everyone, destroy the Earth and a rarity among DBZ villains, himself as well. "You can't beat me, I quit... from life!"

Blowing up a planet... wait, didn't Cell blow up Kai's planet too? Does DB ever have new ideas anymore or do they just repaint the old ones?

Heh, that just puts into perspective how long these Law of Ueki DVDs have been sitting on my desk.

Indeed, Cell blew up King Kai's planet, but not intentionally. Cell was going to self-destruct on Earth (but he knew he could regenerate from that), so Goku used his Instant Transmission technique and warped himself and Cell over to King Kai's planet, causing that planet to be blown up instead and killing him and his assistants. Goku chose to go to King Kai because he was the first person Goku could think of who lived in a location remote enough to have as few casualties as possible. Beerus ravaging Kai's planet is different, as it was intentional, and it was not destroyed outright, but reduced from Earth-size to the size we see it as in the series.

That is a good example of sore losing though. I guess the Dragon Ball series is full of good examples.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
You forgot one of the biggest sore losers of all! Light Yagami, Death Note! lol He fits the troupe to a T in my book.

I think Reiner too from Attack on Titan...considering the manga nowadays.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll I voted for Monster. It is not really a rescue because Viz criminally only released the first 15 episodes. I could import the Australian release, but rather have a R1 release.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
lost classics like Hikaru no Go

Not exactly "lost" since Viz has it up on hulu fully subbed and dubbed, but it is dumb they have no interest in a physical release.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Law of Ueki for a rescue because imo it's a pretty enjoyable 50 episode series that does something different with the typical tournament cliches. Also, would like to hear a dub that has some emotion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I had to add The Cockpit to the list. That's one of my favorite 90s OVAs, and it's never been re-released in NA since Urban Vision put it out on VHS way back when. Also thought about They Were Eleven - it's been in the back of my head for a while that I'd like to see that again.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
I had to add The Cockpit to the list. That's one of my favorite 90s OVAs, and it's never been re-released in NA since Urban Vision put it out on VHS way back when. Also thought about They Were Eleven - it's been in the back of my head for a while that I'd like to see that again.

Oh yes, There Were Eleven would be great. Also one of the anime/manga I feel would actually work very well in live action, or at least better than Fullmetal Alchemist.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I chose Kamichu! I remember it being such a sweet story and I was very sad I wasn't able to collect all of the DVDs before they disappeared. If they were all even released. I can't even remember at this point. Anime hyper
They were all released. The show even got 2 complete collections from both Geneon and Funimation.

animegomaniac wrote:
one of Funimation's earliest shows Spiral just for the sake of my curiosity

Ralph Snackshi wrote:
As far as series go my top 3 would be Urusei Yatsura, Paranoia Agent and Paradise Kiss.

Unfortunately, we're unlikely to ever see shows like Kamichu, Spiral, Paradise Kiss, or the more recent Angel Beats on home video over here again, due to Aniplex's involvement. I'm surprised they even let Sentai scoop up Petite Cossette from the Geneon scrap heap, but I guess their "take my ball and go home" approach hadn't quite set in back in 2010.

Raikuro wrote:
Not exactly "lost" since Viz has [Hikaru no Go] up on hulu fully subbed and dubbed, but it is dumb they have no interest in a physical release.
More like they have no interest in losing money on discs that won't sell, like with Prince of Tennis and other sports anime.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilsonwilson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I want the rest of yawara
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Some of the choices that have been added to the poll appear to be by people who are a bit out of the loop.

Azumanga Daioh was rereleased by Sentai in 2016, and is in-print on DVD/streaming on HIDIVE.

Funimation released Gosick and Nichijou in 2017, even dubbing Gosick.

However, I would be ecstatic for a good way to own Paranoia Agent, which is currently out-of-print/unlicensed. Not only that, but the seemingly cheap/good option UK box set is censored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I forgot one thing...I wish they'd get Strawberry Panic back on a license...the DVD is hard to find.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4