• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.I.C.O. -Incarnation- Anime's New Videos Mark Netflix Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I think y'all are exaggerating a little bit with this dub is horrible non-sense. It's not the best but it's certainly not the worst. I do agree they do seem to be trying a little too hard, but it's watchable. It's certainly better than those Singapore English dubs I've seen. It's definitely not up to Studiopolis or Bang Zoom standards whom have done most of Netflix dubbing. It is odd why they didn't go with those companies for this. The other studios maybe couldn't fit it in their schedule, or maybe it's a cost saving measure by Netflix. If you really hate the dub than call, email, or write in and complain about. They might never use this dubbing studio again if you do.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Just watched two episodes and had to change to the sub after the first episode. Terrible dub with the only decent VA being Kanzaki. Everyone was so forced and just spouting exposition like it's the norm.
Granted it might not be the ADR company, it could be a script sent from Bones and the ADR company have to follow the script given but with Bones's history of anime I would have to go with the ADR company being the weak link. And by the looks of things this is their first dubbing so no wonder it's rubbish.
Why netflix why?!! B the beginning had an awesome dub and then you bring this out?
Dub aside it has a decent enough story to continue to the end but after eagerly anticipating this for a while it has been a huge let down.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
#Immie93 wrote:
Just watched two episodes and had to change to the sub after the first episode. Terrible dub with the only decent VA being Kanzaki. Everyone was so forced and just spouting exposition like it's the norm.
Granted it might not be the ADR company, it could be a script sent from Bones and the ADR company have to follow the script given but with Bones's history of anime I would have to go with the ADR company being the weak link. And by the looks of things this is their first dubbing so no wonder it's rubbish.
Why netflix why?!! B the beginning had an awesome dub and then you bring this out?
Dub aside it has a decent enough story to continue to the end but after eagerly anticipating this for a while it has been a huge let down.

It doesn't matter how good the script is if the actors suck at acting.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
With all the shows being dubbed atm, I wouldn't be surprised if there simply isn't enough available veteran talent to do them all. It's not like it pays well enough to attract VAs etc from other areas.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
With all the shows being dubbed atm, I wouldn't be surprised if there simply isn't enough available veteran talent to do them all. It's not like it pays well enough to attract VAs etc from other areas.

Calgary/Edmonton, Montreal, New York City, North Carolina, Toronto, Vancouver ... Plenty of underutilized (for anime, anyway) places with voice talent. Not everything needs to be done in LA or the Dallas and Houston areas, nor does Netflix need to go to relative no-man's land like they did here.

I suspect it was more a cost thing. They had one company handle the English, French, Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs. I don't believe all of those were recorded in Miami, but these multi-lingual localization houses usually don't do great work.
Winger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Calgary/Edmonton, Montreal, New York City, North Carolina, Toronto, Vancouver ... Plenty of underutilized (for anime, anyway) places with voice talent. Not everything needs to be done in LA or the Dallas and Houston areas, nor does Netflix need to go to relative no-man's land like they did here.

I suspect it was more a cost thing. They had one company handle the English, French, Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs. I don't believe all of those were recorded in Miami, but these multi-lingual localization houses usually don't do great work.

Oh, of course the french, spanish and other dubs were not recorded in Miami, only the english one.

The french dub was probably recorded in Paris, the brazilian portuguese was recorded in Curitiba (a brazilian city), and the latin american spanish one was recorded in Mexico.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but the voice actor of Kanzaki in the english dub seems to be Alexandre Alvarez Neto, a brazilian voice actor that provides voice acting for some stuff in Miami, like South Park, Gintama, The Crown and other series.
Well, he was credited as "Alex Alvarez", but he used that alias before in some non-anime dubs, so it's very possible that they are both the same person. The voice of Kanzaki is also very similar with his voice.

Alexandre's ANN page: person#133486

Alexandre's instagram profile here: https://www.instagram.com/alexneto_voiceover/
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I just recently finished B: The Beginning, and although it was all over the place, I still enjoyed it. Also the English dub was amazing.
From initial reactions I’ve seen on the internet however, it seems the English dub for AICO isn’t the best, so I’ll probably watch it subbed.

Yeah, I haven't finished that show yet, only halfway through, but that dub is fantastic.

TheMorry wrote:
After watching 2 episodes Im sad to say that the dub is pretty bad. Feels more like they are not good at acting and just reading the lines. The dub is not from the same quality as all other studios. Its like they never dubbed an anime before... And that honestly pisses me off. The anime itself looks really cool and the animation is gorgeous, but yea Bones what would you expect? Honestly if it wasnt for the dub it would be amazing.

Yeah. It's a shame since the show seems pretty nice and the animation looks great at times in these first two eps I've watched so far and I generally prefer dubs when both are available and the dub is good. It seems like it's going to end up at least a decent to pretty good show and I'm quite partial to Bones so this is quite disappointing, it deserved one of the premiere dub studios/talent pools.

Both Spliced Bread Productions and Bang Zoom, etc. have done great work on the Netflix licensed anime so far too, so it's a shame neither of them got assigned to this show.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
I will be watching the show starting on Wed. but I am still giving an imaginary finger to Netflix for their preferred binge-watch method. I suppose they might take the weekly simulcast to be available every possible territory simultaneous seriously if they lost a of subscribers. By this, I mean tens of millions very quickly. However, neither are likely to happen soon.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I will be watching the show starting on Wed. but I am still giving an imaginary finger to Netflix for their preferred binge-watch method. I suppose they might take the weekly simulcast to be available every possible territory simultaneous seriously if they lost a of subscribers. By this, I mean tens of millions very quickly. However, neither are likely to happen soon.

It's beyond me what the hell is wrong with Netflix "binge watch method". I dont have a problem with it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

AICO is a Netflix Original in all markets. There is no TV broadcast in Japan. What would they be simulcasting? Wink
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I watched it all.
AICO is full of mysteries, twists and revelations : you WILL binge-watch this show, trust me.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
After the trailer for AICO was released I said that it looked like Voltron but after watching the show I would say that it was like spoiler[Blood+]. To be clear it is the best original anime production I have seen from Netflix and the only one that I watched until the end. I liked the story but the dub was one of the worst I have heard in years and was cringey both in translation choices and acting. I find it ironic that Netflix spent a lot of money to produce AICO which is a good show but than got cheap when it came time to make the dub for it.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
About two-thirds of the way through.

Yes, the English dub is terrible. Worst of the worst, who knows. But it is bad. Part of the problem, I believe is the script. Namely, names. They use the Japanese honorifics, but it's like they weren't sure if they were supposed to or not, so they kind of blurt them out in a rush. Then there is the fact that the utility isn't fully consistent. I can't really think of many other dubs that go the rout of using the honorifics. Add that to the rest of the poor dialogue acting, it creates a bad situation. It almost seems like the actors were given a direct translation of the Japanese script and told to read it exactly as written. So, you get honorifics read back without the right inflection or context, overly precise pronunciation of words that would normally be abbreviated in conversational speech; like they're pacing each word equally instead of the variance normal people use (saying "that is" instead of "that's" or adding some sort of inflection if you are going to use "that is"). It gets better towards the later episodes, but it still remains relatively poor. It feels like a fan-dub rather than a professional one.

Bad dub aside, the story is mediocre. They do a decent job of setting up and distinguishing the various factions, but not a very good job of explaining their motivations or why they're hostile to each other. Aside from the guy whose daughter is in a coma, we have the lady who wants to use the matter for research and advancing Japan's technology and economy with it, and then the "rest of government" that seems to favor destroying it, and then the Kanzaki/Aico team. But there is little presentation as to why for instance the government is split on the issue, other than to say that in these sorts of shows the government is usually split on such issues. It is apparent, and nothing has been shown to counteract the premise, that they have the ability to control and at-will wipe out the matter. So why is now the time when it has to be done? Why hasn't the "research it" faction been shot down already? Or, why not let the research faction keep going? What's the actual threat that has to be addressed? You get the feeling this is supposed to be something like the story out of Shin Godzilla, but the execution is worse.

A lot of the interactions with the "matter" are carried out with plot convenience. You get the feeling it's always an enemy presented to be at the edge of the central team's ability to fight off, rather than an individual intelligence reacting and being reacted to. It's a fine line many series struggle to get right, so I don't knock them too much for missing the mark, but there's nothing really inspirational in this regard. For instance, they have a point where they note that the matter is reactive to light. But that was apparently some sort of revelation that hadn't occurred before, and after that incident and factoid is used to get them out of danger, it's not used or addressed again. I suppose we're supposed to infer that that particular mass of matter alone was reactive to light, but that was not at all how the scene read.

It also would've been nice to get more of an explanation for why the matter is hostile. Again, most stories forego such explanations, opting for a basic assumption that its merely the natural state to be in. I also think spoiler[the attempt to whitewash Kanzaki's actions near the end by saying he was watching out for everyone else's feelings when he lied to them at the start] was a very poor story choice. spoiler[Also, Aico's reunion scene with her mom and brother features very awkward and strained dialogue, dub or sub.]

But, the story is interesting. I don't tend to gravitate to these sorts of "state of humanity" sort of sci-fi stories, because they tend to oversimplify the constructs they are attacking in terms of societal impulses, and then either offer no attempt at an answer, or some overly simplistic flowers and rainbows cop-out. I look forward to seeing how this show handles it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2