• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haoliners, Anime, and the Future of Chinese Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All of this outsourcing has a definite negative impact on animation quality, and it probably doesn't help that there's a tendency within the Western anime fan community to think of Chinese animation as somehow lesser than Japanese animation

Because it generally is, and you just gave one reason why. Western viewers' perception of the lack of quality certainly isn't the cause of that lack of quality; rather the reverse is true.

One thing I wish this article had addressed was the relationship between Tencent and Haoliners. As far as I can tell these are entirely separate companies, but they seem to be joined at the hip in every Chinese anime production I've seen. I guess Tencent has their fingers in everything in the world, so if they're funding all of Haoliners' projects it shouldn't be a surprise. Also, does Emon = Haoliners or is it a different entity?

Terrible scripts and funky animation aside, the one thing I desperately love about Haoliners is their little 5 second logo clip at the start of all their productions. I want to see the anime those images come from. Smile
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Ronie Peter wrote:
If the situation of the industry [workers, employees, and wages] continues as it is, from now on the Chinese will have more money than the Japanese studios summed up, and they will have to watch the investidoers quiet if they get bogged down within the industry as long as they they regret their own lack of courage to innovate and improve.

I hope that at least the Japanese stop being stupid and start thinking about business models that are more beneficial to creators who are subjected to ridiculous conditions and even more ridiculous pay.

No offense, but do you honestly believe working conditions are so much better in China? Having spent time in China, I can assure you, it's not. I can say from first hand life experience, that working conditions, and Chinese labour laws are far more worse off in than in Japan. The west is lucky they can hear about the issue within Japan's industry, speaking said realities of the Chinese markets, especially from within the great firewall would meet with a lot harsher realities than I would care to spend time thinking about.

Yes, but I did not say that one meracado offers better conditions than the other, I said that with money, the Chinese may end up skewing themselves in the Japanese market, and if they grow up, it will not be difficult to compete with better commissions. One thing has no apparent connection with another. Yes, the conditions of a Chinese worker from any branch is really shit. The government is authoritarian and expansionist. And many business groups are in collusion with this expansion, like this occupation in the business sector, inside and outside the country.

That's why the Japanese need to change their mindset. What I was referring to was the monopoly through better investment. It is not necessarily expected that the Chinese will give the industry workers a better life, but taking money while the Japanese studios go bankrupt is not difficult to imagine how they can manage to monopolize the market with their assets.

I say this also considering that many people in the industry do not like the presence of the Chinese because they know that behind an innocent action is an attempt to keep a market captive just for themselves. It would be ridiculous to see Japanese studios closing while the Chinese studios open. Even so, it does not change the fact that there are talented people who truly want to work in both markets, regardless of the conditions. Many Chinese entertainers make good contributions to Japanese works, other than those already mentioned, which I know of: Optical-Core, Juansheng Shi and Meng Sun. Not counting the Taiwanese Hakuyo-Go. There is a Chinese who is out of the industry, but who does short, is called Cloud-Yang.
Xe4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I find Chinese animation (donghua) eternally fascinating. Back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's was significantly more developed than anime. Notably, the first donghua feature film, Princess Iron Fan made by the Wan Brothers was a huge inspiration to Tezuka. The Wan Brothers second film, havoc in heaven is a classic and I still watch it to this day. But the cultural revolution unfortunately killed off most of the animation until recent years.

I really want to get into recent donghua but much of it doesn't interest me. Most is action TV shows which I have little interest in unless very well done. Theatrical epics, experimental animation and slice of life stuff tend to capture my interest more and I haven't seen too much of that out of China, especially when compared to say Japan or Korea. As of right npw I'm interested in Big Fish & Begonia, Over the Moon (we'll see how it turns out at least) but not much else. However, it's certainly something I'll keep my eye on.

It'll be interesting to see how censorship affects the industry as well. The general thoughts people have is that it can have an crippling effect on the industry. This can be true but as seen with stuff like Soviet cartoons, people can actually find some very creative ways over censorship and being some very interesting ideas to the table. Animation history all over the world has been one that has been closely interlinked to censorship of one form or the other.

Last edited by Xe4 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
The cooperation between Korean studios and Chinese studios is constant. Unlike the cooperation that Korean studios give to Japanese studios, ranging from key animations of relatively simple scenes to inbetween animations. The case of Big Fish is just one example. King's Avatar [OVA] is another example; if you see the animation of the trailler [are still to leave the OVA] will realize that that style is not Chinese, nor Japanese, but Korean.

Although it is interesting to have more animations from different countries so that more variety is created for the public, it is a fact that this Chinese growth in the sector is of concern for Japanese creators. Japanese industry is in shambles, animators continue to work as subhumans, and production committees are as fair as the Mafia.

If the situation of the industry [workers, employees, and wages] continues as it is, from now on the Chinese will have more money than the Japanese studios summed up, and they will have to watch the investidoers quiet if they get bogged down within the industry as long as they they regret their own lack of courage to innovate and improve.

I hope that at least the Japanese stop being stupid and start thinking about business models that are more beneficial to creators who are subjected to ridiculous conditions and even more ridiculous pay.

I'm not convinced the Japanese animation industry is as miserable as the several people who came forth to claim it is. If it was that bad, change already would have been made. Also, it's already expensive enough to justify offshoring/outsourcing to South Korea and Vietnam anyway.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Centaur was OK but oddly enough it's Enmousubi is the one I really liked. I liked it so much I'm now watching the Chinese version (with subs, of course). It's gotten really good. I actually care about everyone, even the bad guys.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really enjoyed Fox Spirit Matchmaker. Sure, it's inconsistent at times, but when things are clicking, it's honestly great. Had a few really powerful emotional moments for me, although to be fair, there were also a couple times where you could tell they were trying to set up for another powerful moment and couldn't pull it off. Not a masterpiece, but if you watch the whole thing, it turns out to be pretty good overall, not terrible at all.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
Exactly what I mean, Mojave. In the Japanese version, the two best moments were in the second half of the show when spoiler[Koko stopped talking and when the princess gave the Mountain Emperor the release spell.] Those two moments were fantastic.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am enjoying SpiritPact a lot. I find it cute,fun, comedic and enjoyable. The second season is a step up from the first. Whoever worked on the ending good job. It is really pretty to me.
tomdean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Only a matter of time before one or two shows start espousing the merits of denying freedom of speech, or how dictatorship is the new perfect future, or even some islands don't belong to Japan...

We have enough self-censorship already; we don't need the Chinese to come in to add brainwashing to essentially escape from reality too.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
Only a matter of time before one or two shows start espousing the merits of denying freedom of speech, or how dictatorship is the new perfect future, or even some islands don't belong to Japan...

We have enough self-censorship already; we don't need the Chinese to come in to add brainwashing to essentially escape from reality too.

First, who are “we”? I don’t think I am one of the people who are easily brainwashed by anime, by that logic, Mahouka and Gate already brained thousands of audience yet that is never ever the case

No need for that Cold War containment logic, also you need to realize besides CL which is a manga adaptation, none of the Chinese anime produced Even has semi-realistic political elements in them, so that fear was never true to begin with.

Also it helps for some history research before claiming your own political standpoint. The islands issues so far are controversial for both sides and most other countries stand neutral on this problem. If one side is vocal about it, do not expect the other side to stay silent, that applies to everyone who is involved.

We are getting off-track here, let’s stay on topic and no more bland judging through colored-goggles.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
One has to also mention that some of their shows were not originally cut the way they were cut for Japanese TV. Shows like Silver Guardian, Spiritpact, and Fox Spirit Matchmaker were originally produced as 10 minute episodes for the Chinese domestic market. That means that in the Japanese 20 minute format, the pacing feels sort of wobbly for these shows.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been actively enjoying the second season of Hitori no Shita, which I was not expecting after the abysmal first season and most of the Haoliners stuff that has come before it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
We can decry all about the current Japanese anime industry business model (some with valid reasons), but it is this current business model that has given us today, a vast cornucopia of anime. A surplus of riches that has something for everyone, the key word being everyone (especially for Western fans). That is a high bar for China to aim for or even reach. And as noted, China has its own unique problems that will constrain their anime industry. So I don't see the Japanese anime industry quivering anytime soon in fear of Chinese animation domination.

I don't think we can even think in those terms: each Japanese studio is directly competing with hundreds of other Japanese studios. Chinese (and Korean) studios are also now participating in the same market which has grown from a Japanese market to an East Asian market (with some western demand like Netflix and Crunchyroll but no western supply): The growth of the Chinese market is the reason why so many great anime have been produced in the past couple of years since a growing market for animation supports more artistic risk taking while a stagnant or declining market tends to restrict artistic freedom since creators become more averse to risky projects. I guess that in 20 years or so after Chinese studios fully mature they will dominate global animation but Japanese studios will still produce a fair bit of animation and the Japanese industry will be very closely integrated with the Chinese industry. Think of Airbus which produces planes in the EU using factories all over the 28 countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Initially I was curious about Chinese 2D commercial animations and tried to give them a chance by watching them on Crunchyroll, but I stopped watching because I got burned by their bad shows. Plus I felt that Chinese animation on visual side is trying too hard to look like Japanese which felt very awkward to me. Not only that, I felt that recent drastic jumps in Chinese animation production techniques are startling. Few years ago their overall commercial animation quality was nowhere close to what Japanese were making and now we're seeing works with tighter visuals and directions that almost head-to-head with Japanese. As a long time anime watcher from 70's shows to current shows, I haven't seen natural progression of animation style or trends in Chinese commercial animations yet, so their "borrowing" oftrendy styles straight from Japan is confusing and disingenuous.

Such feat feels like a cheat to me because many animation creators in other Asian countries want to pull it off as well and they still can't (South Korea for example) due to systematic issues. In order for home grown animation to thrive, local productions need constant stable source of funds to keep artists trained and fed plus ample source materials. Without them, they lose their skills since animating and drawing are perishable skills.

I know what I said is harsh, but Chinese companies are spending a lot of money on Japanese studios and opening up Haoliner office in Japan to court directly with Japanese creators. By setting a foot in Japan, it seems like they're trying to gobble up (or learn, if put it nicely) everything about Japanese methodology and system. You could tell by hiring Japanese animation staffers opens a lot of opportunities to see on how things are made closely. What do you think Japanese production committee is keeping Chinese investors at arm's length? I think they know back in their mind that revealing way too much "trade secret" will become a serious problem.

Putting potential problems aside, I just don't find Chinese produced "Manga-Style" animations appealing because it's they're trying to be someone they're not in my opinion. That's the vibe I get.
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
tomdean wrote:

First, who are “we”? I don’t think I am one of the people who are easily brainwashed by anime, by that logic, Mahouka and Gate already brained thousands of audience yet that is never ever the case

No need for that Cold War containment logic, also you need to realize besides CL which is a manga adaptation, none of the Chinese anime produced Even has semi-realistic political elements in them, so that fear was never true to begin with.

Also it helps for some history research before claiming your own political standpoint. The islands issues so far are controversial for both sides and most other countries stand neutral on this problem. If one side is vocal about it, do not expect the other side to stay silent, that applies to everyone who is involved.

We are getting off-track here, let’s stay on topic and no more bland judging through colored-goggles.

Firstly, self-censorship is prevalent in anime, do some research. Secondly, learn to read, I have not said "We ARE" being brainwashed, I'm saying 'We WILL'. Shows produced in China mostly have propaganda undertones. Case in point, have you seen anything in Chinese cinemas lately? I have. Diabolically political even when it doesn't have to be. Typical villain is a Westerner who is trying to manipulate the innocent masses and every hero is an honest-loyal-to-Chinese; it is their market, they are free to consume and produce whatever they like, but there is no diversity, and same thing will happen in anime. Further proof, even saying "Happy New Year" instead of saying "Happy Chinese New Year" by a famous actress landed her in internet vitriol by millions of people recently, you expect anime shows to be exempt from the Chinese 'hurt feelings?'. How naive. Thirdly, you are right that the Senkaku issues are complex, but the reason why the rest of the world stands idle, is not because it's too complex, because an island is not worth angering a multi billion dollar business partner, in the end, they are beholden to money. Japan are rational, so they are more likely to forgive when China will happily boycott from the tiniest infractions. Lastly, it is not a cold-war containment logic, China long has a history of espionage schemes, from Lenovo deliberately infecting millions of new laptops with Bigfish the spyware, to placing spies in Australian universities in order to monitor and influence academia. To deny its existence is simply cognitive dissonance.

I will be happily sitting all day respecting our differences of opinion on anime, but don't go round defending the indefensible. Well I better stop here before I 'disappear' next time I go to China like those bookstore sellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3