• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Survey: Tell us about your favorite anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Why does the ad for this thing feature Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers? What possible connection is there?

(I can't imagine that image has been properly licensed.)
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Don't think I've selected none of the above so many times in one survey before.

Same here, there are shows I'd like more of or to see a do-over. But I suppose we will get something out of this survey called "I was reincarnated in a world where my every choice was None of the Above" in Japanese with a really catchy contraction.

Mark Gosdin
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
The choices seemed a bit random. From oldies to Sword Art Online (which we will definitely get more of).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
looks shady. I'll pass.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Artorias wrote:
I feel like there should be an option to list 5 shows that the person would watch again if a remake were made. Since there are some shows that were not listed that I think would fit that category.

Also, there were some anime listed that I thought were already really good shows already but I would watch if another season were to be made. For example, HunterxHunter and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun were already really good and I don't think too much could be added if they were remade but I would watch if another season were to be made.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion for next time.
Very Happy

I made my choices with the idea that "new series" meant a sequel rather than starting over, though since the question always asked about a modernized version, I don't know that it is what the surveyors meant. Then again, quite a few of the options were recent enough that a sequel seems more likely than starting over.

I'd be completely on board with more of The Devil is a Part-Timer, for example, but I can't say I'd be thrilled if a new series covered the same material.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I signed up with a "throwaway" address in case the addresses are sold to spammers.

I, too, chose "None of the Above" on nearly every page. I did endorse a remake of Hikaru no Go, largely for reasons of production quality.

Why does anyone think we need more remakes of older series? I'll admit that this season's reboots of Kitaro and, to a lesser degree, Lupin have been worth it, but I'd rather see continuations of incomplete shows like Space Brothers not remakes.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Oh, this is being run by the same company who put the Star Wars ad up on this site? The same people that write "$100" as "100$".

Doesn't look trustworthy to me. No American company would ever write $100 as '100$'.

Just curious..but ANN staff, did someone do any research on this company before giving them space? One of the other users pointed out that nothing popped up via a Google search and that seems really odd.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I feel like this is a very odd way of phrasing the question. I skipped over some of my all-time favorite series because I see absolutely no reason why they should be remade. Case in point: Monster is probably one of the most faithful, note-perfect adaptations out there. Why in the world would we need another version of it? Needless, unasked-for remakes are probably my biggest pet peeve with the entertainment industry in general.

For once, I actually agree with you.

I voted yes for that one just because I hoped a new, mainstream adaptation would raise interest in the classic series and hopefully get a NA license for both. But you are right, page per frame, Monster is a masterpiece. I 100% agree on that point, and judging myself by your last statement, I admit I am part of the problem. Wink
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I feel like this is a very odd way of phrasing the question. I skipped over some of my all-time favorite series because I see absolutely no reason why they should be remade. Case in point: Monster is probably one of the most faithful, note-perfect adaptations out there. Why in the world would we need another version of it? Needless, unasked-for remakes are probably my biggest pet peeve with the entertainment industry in general.

Seriously though. Not to mention a lot of them are extremely recent or in one case already has a remake(HxH). I could see a few of these, particularly the recent ones, having room for a continuation, but remakes and reboots of many, unless there is a guarantee of a complete adaptation... isn't something I'm interested in.

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Before I try this, is it limited to N-American participants as usual? If not, what are you going to do with the email addresses you collect? There's a link to SurveryMonkey's privacy policy, but that only covers their side, not ANN's or the Anime Fan Research Group's.

ANN isn't actually involved, we don't see any of the data you submit. But it's a really good question, I'll ask the sponsors and add a comment under the survey.

It's open worldwide.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Doesn't look trustworthy to me. No American company would ever write $100 as '100$'.
They aren't American. Not sure how not being American makes them untrustworthy. Europeans often put their currency behind the number.

Quote:
Just curious..but ANN staff, did someone do any research on this company before giving them space? One of the other users pointed out that nothing popped up via a Google search and that seems really odd.
It's some sort of market research obviously, I don't know their exact intentions behind the research, it's none of my business. Nothing they are asking for can be used for nefarious purposes, and they wouldn't spend that kind of money to gather a few thousand e-mail addresses for spam lists.

The AFRG name is new, but I know who the people behind it are.

When doing this kind of public research, it's common to obfuscate the name of the people behind it. If Section 23 were to ask you "Would you be interested in a remake of XYZ," then Section 23's competitors would instantly learn what Section 23 is looking into as potential new business. Likewise, if a well known Hollywood studio were to ask the questions, it might affect your answers. Many survey companies (google surveys for example), do anonymous surveys, and don't even inform you that they are being paid to run the survey. ANN always informed our readers when we are being paid for something... TBH, it didn't occur to me that I could just leave the name blank.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ya'll care way too much for $100 being on the line. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I found a majority of these titles were a big, why? Like HXH just had a remake. I feel like this could have been a second season question more than a modernized question with the choices we were given. There were only a few 90s or earlier that I would like to see brought back again, but the rest were a big question mark as to why anyone would want it.
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah this was a big, what the heck for me. Monster the anime was great. I only want the live action one that is in limbo :/
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I did the survey and when I clicked "done" nothing happened. When I clicked "prev" nothing happened. I went back to the top of that page, clicked "ok" again, tried reselecting my nationality and age, but still clicking "done" did nothing. Tried waiting and still nothing. Whatever then.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Devil May Cry anime incorrectly had a picture related to the reboot, DmC.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
My picks were Rose of Versailles (I'd certainly like to see a remake of it), Hikaru no Go (I want to see the last arc animated), Zatch Bell ( I want to see the last arc), Slam Dunk ( Last arc was never animated), Rurouni Kenshin (last arc never animated).

The only thing I want to see of Hunter x Hunter is the Dark Continent arc animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5