• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't More Publishers Take A Chance On Older Titles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Full disclosure: I worked on the Blu-rays of Reborn! and other Discotek releases.

So you can confirm it's the actual DVD SD episodes and not the badly encoded BD episodes?

Im praying that is the case. I ordered the BDs when they came out in Japan. I also own the Japanese DVDs. The BDs are a complete mess. The quality is just bad and lots of details are lost because they messed it up and made the entire series darker than what it is.

And in the case with Discotek taking a smaller risk than bigger companies, I can see that. To be honest, I always thought Sentai Filmworks would get the series, seeing as they did alot of sub-only releases a while back. But nowadays, seems Discotek is taking more chances than Sentai, which I am happy for. I already pre-ordered my release. Cannot wait for September.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
On the subject of Gintama, I wonder if CR will continue the dub, or was it just part of a group of shows that they bundled together to dip their toes into the dubbing scene(before they joined Funimation).

The longer it takes for Crunchyroll to make a statement makes me think the less likely it is to be continued. The first two seasons might still have Sentai issues, but the second movie and the newer episodes don't.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess to be fair to Reborn!, none of the R1 companies bothered with it when it was new. It should have been dubbed and slapped on Toonami ten years ago. Of course dubbing it wouldn't make a lot of sense today, in 2018. It's a case where we kind of just Monday-morning quarterback how it bungled; we'll never really know what could've been.

This kind of moves away from the question, but I was always kind of puzzled Discotek didn't try to dub Yowamushi Pedal. I know it's technically a sports show, but next to the modern Lupin III, I think it's their newest property (2014+). Time keeps cycling along on that, tick tick tick! And, there's probably going to be more of it animated down the road; it just wrapped up a 2018 series
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
This explains why FUNimation and Viz Media stay away from long-running kids and family anime, such as Ojarumaru, Nintama Rantaro, Kochikame, and Anpanman; they’re too long and too old to sell over 10,000 units, and would be very, very expensive to dub. Not to mention that the attempts of dubbing and releasing similar shows (Shin-chan, Sgt. Frog, Hamtaro, etc) led to more bombs than it did hits.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
So you can confirm it's the actual DVD SD episodes and not the badly encoded BD episodes?

The cover art shows it as "standard definition" and "SD on BD".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise to see how Reborn is now consider to be a obscure title given how super popular it was in 2007-2008. I think if a title is too obscure, no one would bother with it. I would love if it Call Me Tonight got a US release on DVD, but I doubt someone like Discotek even touch it. I discover that anime thanks to the Buried Treasure series on this site.

Even something like Kaiji with a decent fanbase would probably never get pick up by Discotek or even Sentai Filmworks because it would be too niche. I would even pay money for a home release of Hell Target because it never got released in the US back in the days

Lord Geo wrote:
CatSword wrote:
If Funimation expects the things they license to sell at least 10,000 copies, then I'm really surprised they pulled a Discotek and got Zillion.

There's what Cody mentioned with license bundling, but it's also possible that FUNimation sees how Discotek is doing, and is dipping its toes into that same kind of market; why ignore a segment of anime fandom that's only been shown to exist? Sure, something like ZIllion won't sell the amounts that they normally expect out of other releases, but at the same time it's a sub-only release, so it doesn't need to sell as much to make back its money. Don't forget that FUNi was also part of the consortium that lead to the restoration of Momotaro: Sacred Sailors, a release that really didn't scream "FUNimation", and instead felt more like something Discotek would try out.

It's not like FUNi's going to suddenly try to be the next Discotek, so they'll probably only do the occasional old-school, sub-only release, but at the same time it's not unreasonable that FUNi is going to want a small piece of that vintage anime market pie for themselves.

I personally don't want Funimation to pick up old titles and just leave them to Discotek, Sentai/Madein Japan and Rightstuff. It gives out more variety and competition in the market. If you look at movies for example, you have many companies that stick with old obscure and cult movies while mainstream studios stick with movies that everyone knows about or has seen. Funimation in the anime industry is like the Warner Bros, Paramount, Fox, etc where they release stuff that appeals to casual and general anime fans while sometimes releasing old stuff. While Discotek is like Arrow, Scream Factory, Verstron, Kino, etc where they pick up cult titles. To me, Funimation releasing titles like Zillion, Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors and Record of Lodoss War if someone like Paramount decides to release Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS or Wizard of Gore.

With Speed Racer and Akira, it made sense for Funimation to pick those titles because they are so well known. People who don't watch anime or don't even know what anime is, knows about Speed Racer. You could say Speed Racer, Kimba the White Lion and Astro Boy are the anime that the Baby Boomers grew up with (Both my mom and dad have memories watching Speed Racer, 8 Man and Kimba as kids in the 60's).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I guess to be fair to Reborn!, none of the R1 companies bothered with it when it was new. It should have been dubbed and slapped on Toonami ten years ago. Of course dubbing it wouldn't make a lot of sense today, in 2018. It's a case where we kind of just Monday-morning quarterback how it bungled; we'll never really know what could've been.

This kind of moves away from the question, but I was always kind of puzzled Discotek didn't try to dub Yowamushi Pedal. I know it's technically a sports show, but next to the modern Lupin III, I think it's their newest property (2014+). Time keeps cycling along on that, tick tick tick! And, there's probably going to be more of it animated down the road; it just wrapped up a 2018 series

Toonami was in no position to getting another 200+ episode series 10 years ago especially being in a weekly format. 2012 is a maybe on it, but even then it was still a experiment to see if people would even still watch Toonami. Sure people let them know that they wanted it back after that April Fools Prank, but saying and watching are 2 different things. Thankfully people do watch it and continue to do so.

Reborn just had lousy timing to be on Toonami. Though Viz could have put it on Neon Alley.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Yeah, I know, I'm just being skeptical. Those BD eps were seriously bad. I just want the best for this release. Smile
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Something very important to take away from Justin's answer, especially since it relates significantly to the actual question that was asked, is the explanation about what it means to be a top selling title at Right Stuf, or any retailer for that matter.
You make a very good point ( I liked the sunflower example you used ) but at the same that doesn't mean a title is bombing ether, I mean the whole point of the Top seller label on Rightstuf's site is to indicated how series is doing not necessarily on if its Fire or not but the fact that we see it among sellers like Sailor Moon and Dragon ball super is something Reborn fans should be happy about.
loveliver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Yeah, I know, I'm just being skeptical. Those BD eps were seriously bad. I just want the best for this release. Smile

Well, you must've talked about the first half, that was digitally animated in SD. I don't really know how the second half looked on the Japanese Blu-rays, you know the episodes in ACTUAL HD.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Funimation in the anime industry is like the Warner Bros, Paramount, Fox, etc where they release stuff that appeals to casual and general anime fans while sometimes releasing old stuff. While Discotek is like Arrow, Scream Factory, Verstron, Kino, etc where they pick up cult titles.

I get the comparison, but it's still a bit flawed. Companies like Warner Bros. Paramount, & Fox produce their own content, while Arrow, Scream/Shout Factory, Kino, etc. rely mostly on licensing the works of others, similar to how the anime industry over here works. Not just that, but those mainstream Hollywood companies do also release vintage titles all the time, but that's because these companies have been around for decades (if not more than century, even), and have massive catalogs to make new releases from... As long as the materials are there. Companies like FUNimation & Viz may be the WB or Fox of the anime industry over here, but they still have to operate like Arrow, Verstron, & the like; they're stuck in a weird, simultaneous existence.

Quote:
To me, Funimation releasing titles like Zillion, Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors and Record of Lodoss War if someone like Paramount decides to release Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS or Wizard of Gore.

I'm hoping that you were exaggerating here, because stuff like Zillion, Momotaro, or Lodoss are nothing like the exploitation films you're comparing them to. If anything, I'd argue that the anime industry here is missing a proper equivalent to the likes of Synapse Films, Blue Underground, or Unearthed Films. Discotek effectively has to try to be both like those cult-focused companies, while also wanting to be an equivalent to Criterion, so I'd be more than happy to see some of that weight lifted off of Discotek.

To return to the original point, though, those Hollywood companies have experimented with licensing other movies for American release every now & then. I have Universal's DVD release of the live-action Dororo movie, for example, which was a sub-only experimental release from 2007. That's no different than FUNimation putting out Zillion, or Viz license rescuing Moribito (I feel like people forgot this happened...), quite honestly.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that Reborn is mentioned for a couple reasons. First, I watched it originally a few years ago (I want to say it was on Crunchy, but I can't be sure). It was a very interesting shounen entry, and with the number of episodes it was at, I sort of assumed at the time that it would eventually get the "Final Arc" treatment at least, if not the continuation reboot treatment Fairy Tail got. But, that never came to pass, and I recently began watching it again on Hulu. It's a charming show.

I think one of the things that hurts a show like Reborn is that it doesn't hold a ton of ancillary profit streams. I'm talking about figures, an ongoing manga to create a feedback loop with, or other merchandise. Hate to say it, but we all know that part of what kept Fairy Tail going, part of what keeps One Piece going, is the bevy of attractive females in the cast for which a lot of otaku merch is centered on. Hug pillows, ecchi figures, the endless stream of doujin... that all contributes to the swell of support that can propel a series to stick around even at the fringes.

It's by no means a guarantee, and even past mammoth success is not a sure sign of future accomplishment. Take Bleach for example. As huge as it was, as big as it remained relative to other series, it's manga ending shows no signs of ever being animated. It hardly seems like it'll even garner much love for any future anniversary, outside of obligatory recognition and maybe a small batch re-release.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the earlier episodes of Gintama will still be dubbed. The only reason I'm not buying the blu-rays right now is because I don't want to start the series part-way through. I am currently reading the manga and am a massive fan of this series now, but I want to watch this anime dubbed.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this question sure brought up a big ol' zoo into the room.

Concerning an elderly like me, this just got me to ponder about how the early anime scene came to be, and how this is still relevant in today's world.

I mean, say what you will about the OVAs and how awful they were, but as someone who likes to gather developer and conceptual insight to the video games and anime ova unison back in these times, I've had a lot of wealth of knowledge from gathering dev books and translating them, especially for cult classics like Toshinden and Gowcaizer. And as how Tekken the Motion Picture is hyped to be the most awful OVA to ever exist, having played the games, the Motion Picture is more of an accessory than an actual show. It's a fun watch when you've got the lore down, but it does do things un canon. Even for something like Psychic Force, which also had an OVA, it seemed wayyyy too rushed and had a lot of logic and plot holes despite its excellent production values. This taught me a valuable lesson regarding not just adapting video games into anime, but also their core contents: just make a show, and don't think you'll ever outdo the Street Fighter II The Animated Movie by making shortcut OVA movies. Seriously, the ideas and creative contents for all of those series were brimming with potential more than even Street Fighter, and could have made a goldmine of anime for the 90s. Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer was My Hero Academia before My Hero Academia, Fatal Fury could have been a martial arts anime done like a 1990s US primetime like Xena and Walker, Texas Ranger, Psychic Force was the true X Men the Anime, Tekken could have been a mystery martial arts thriller with elements of crime and drama, and Toshinden could have been an alternate history historic fiction 1990s world with strong themes of tackling social issues, sociopolitical commentary, mysticism, divine transcendence, and real world historic and religious allusions and references, but c'est la vie.

And looking into nostalgia, sure the past wasn't all that great, and not everyone got it, but I do miss how that time anime was at such a crossroads for its crash wake into the USA. Sure, Apollo Smile's treatment implied either she was a shady person hoping to get rich off of the latest trends or was an innocent person whose career was slaughtered by rabid anime diehards, and nothing was absolutely squeaky clean even back then,but I liked how people, or at least I saw, thought about anime and were inspired by it. Sure, we didn't get everything from Japan at that time, and I was just a kid, but I did like how we got to enjoy the full spectrum than just got fat off of what was cool and in as we do today. It's truly a mind opener to know what is classy and ostentatious, what anime is out of the mainstream, and for me, to study what good could have come out of things that have flopped in its execution. And before anyone goes on about regretting that "oh we watched bad ovas and hentai", don't. You were a part of something that opened the eyes of an industry that was already languishing hard during at time where elsewhere something had what it would have given kingdoms and empires for. Stop it.

In relation of this with the question, I'm curious as the new boom of licensing older anime will inspire some insight outside of what everyone is into today with anime. I'm not demanding publishers to import bad anime, but I've noticed from the recent WGN podcast Lynzee was featured on that there are a lot of turn of the decade adults who want to watch older anime. Hell, Dragon Ball Z started in 1989, and Yu Yu Hakusho started in 1994; when did we get them? About five or so more years later, and they still were great. Sure, those are special cases, but do some test runs if you're interested people. Anime isn't just about what is always great and in and now and "with taste" and the Miyazakis, it's well, just about everything. Like in Fahrenheit 451, you can't get flowers from flowers and fireworks from fireworks people.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think one of the things that hurts a show like Reborn is that it doesn't hold a ton of ancillary profit streams. I'm talking about figures, an ongoing manga to create a feedback loop with, or other merchandise. Hate to say it, but we all know that part of what kept Fairy Tail going, part of what keeps One Piece going, is the bevy of attractive females in the cast for which a lot of otaku merch is centered on. Hug pillows, ecchi figures, the endless stream of doujin... that all contributes to the swell of support that can propel a series to stick around even at the fringes..
The ironic thing about Fairy tail is Japan doesn't seem to care for it according to NHK during 100 year anime anniversary Not only did titles like DBZ or Naruto didn't make the cut But Titles like REBORN and yu yu hakusho made the list and Pretty high up on the list if I might add
https://myanimelist.net/news/50582644

If we are talking about Popular Today anime Mob psycho is a good example

and it was ranked 69

Reborn at 64

YuYu hakusho at 65

People always Forgot that REBORN and titles like are so Big in Japan that even regular people in japan who don't watch anime in that country know what those shows are and being in the NHK rank is no Small Feet their the largest Broadcaster in japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4