• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Isn't My Favorite Manga Licensed In America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miraclekid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
*shakes fist* Ashita no Joe!!!

Anime cry
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's got underage characters doing some legally and socially unacceptable activities

Unless your name is To Love Ru Darkness or A Girl on the Shore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I want to know what's keeping Viz from publishing Yazawa Ai's early manga, since NANA did well for them. I really want Tenshi Nanka ja Nai, Neighborhood Story, and Last Quarter.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
It's from a Japanese publisher who has an existing ‘first look’ relationship
To explain this, it's helpful to understand the basic business relationships of some N. American manga publishers. Viz Media gets first crack for most Shogakukan and Shueisha and Hakusensha manga. Kodansha Comics and Vertical publish the bulk of Kodansha Comics and novels in N. America. Yen Press is partly owned by Kadokawa.

A couple recent examples:
- To Love Ru and To Love Ru Darkness by Seven Seas instead of Viz (subsidiary of Shueisha)
- Prison School by Yen Press instead of Kodansha US. When they were asked on their english blog a couple years ago about Prison School, they incredulously replied that such content would never make over in the US, stating no one wanted to pick it up because of content. Even Kodansha US is releasing more "riskier" titles now. I wonder if the same representative is eating crow now.

Hiya! I was that person. I currently work at Yen and edit Prison School over here. Isn't life fun?

No eating crow tho. I stand by what I said years ago--- 2013 Kodansha Comics had a very different line up than current Yen Press. Prison School would have been hella out of place over there. Laughing So I guess that's another reason to add to the pile: if the series in question would be "off brand," the publisher might not consider it. Drawn & Quarterly isn't gonna publish the hot new Shonen Jump manga, for example.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The lack of a license that always puzzled me is Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. It's old now, sure, but as I recall, Funimation's release of the anime was rather successful back in 2009-2010. It had more than 30 volumes at the time, but with a popular anime in a mainstream genre (almost-pure battle manga), that's the sort of gap publishers (Viz in this case?) would still often be willing to take a risk on. Maybe they were trying to get it, but negotiations fell through?

Or maybe it was the tits.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I'll be the first to mention the mystery that is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, given that it's been released in many other overseas territories, is quite inoffensive, and already has a devoted fanbase... Perhaps it's more niche than I think, but if Mushishi and Saturn Apartments could get full releases, what makes YKK such a risky bet?

That's the title that's on my "Will get" list if I see it. The problem is no one wants to sell it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's too niche

Speaking of niche, I'm praying that ANIMETA! (アニメタ!), currently serialized manga about a young female animator going through realistic trials and tribulation being in the anime industry, to be released in English. It's written and drawn by former animator under pen name and the story has more technical details and realism than Shirobako anime. However, due to its niche appeal, it might appeal only to Sakuga fans and people who dig any anime industry-related shows. It would be nice if Kodansha or Yen Press could release in English, but I don't wan to put high hope on it.

Quote:
It's too old / It's from a genre that hasn't sold well in the past

I remember Dark Horse Comic released 3X3 Eyes manga, but it never caught on with many western fans even with two OVA series adaptations and original Japanese manga being 30+ volumes. Ushio & Tora made it to full length TV Anime recently, but I haven't seen English manga release yet. Also It would be nice if Please Save My Earth returns as both manga and full length anime TV format like Ushio & Tora.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
configspace wrote:
Quote:
It's from a Japanese publisher who has an existing ‘first look’ relationship
To explain this, it's helpful to understand the basic business relationships of some N. American manga publishers. Viz Media gets first crack for most Shogakukan and Shueisha and Hakusensha manga. Kodansha Comics and Vertical publish the bulk of Kodansha Comics and novels in N. America. Yen Press is partly owned by Kadokawa.

A couple recent examples:
- To Love Ru and To Love Ru Darkness by Seven Seas instead of Viz (subsidiary of Shueisha)
- Prison School by Yen Press instead of Kodansha US. When they were asked on their english blog a couple years ago about Prison School, they incredulously replied that such content would never make over in the US, stating no one wanted to pick it up because of content. Even Kodansha US is releasing more "riskier" titles now. I wonder if the same representative is eating crow now.

Hiya! I was that person. I currently work at Yen and edit Prison School over here. Isn't life fun?

No eating crow tho. I stand by what I said years ago--- 2013 Kodansha Comics had a very different line up than current Yen Press. Prison School would have been hella out of place over there. Laughing So I guess that's another reason to add to the pile: if the series in question would be "off brand," the publisher might not consider it. Drawn & Quarterly isn't gonna publish the hot new Shonen Jump manga, for example.

Shocked what a small world! Well, now I know who to direct any complaints to! Wink

but seriously, really appreciate the work and am glad Prison School eventually came over one way or another
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Can I just leave my want-list here? It's not like it's going to be licensed right away :c
-Tomodachi Game
-Any Kaiji series, damn, I will be happy with any Fukumoto Nobuyuki series
-Our happy hours
-The World God Only Knows
-Reiraku
-Billy Bat (probably will be published one day)+Mujirushi
-Alice in Borderland
-Nozoki Ana
-As the gods will (published digitally)
-Memorandum of Okitegami Kyoko
-Green Worldz
-Bloody Monday
-Climber
-Suicide Island
moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
As for a title I would like to see licensed but is difficult:
Takemiya’s Song of the Wind and the Trees is a series that has a bunch of things working against it for example being old, long, Shogakukan and having sensitive content.

This one was recently announced by an Italian publisher. They said it will be its first release outside of Japan.

https://www.facebook.com/JPopManga/photos/a.10150161468230367.418135.233308605366/10160608490110367/?type=1&theater
svines85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Great article, thanks a lot, Deb Smile
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
moff wrote:
katscradle wrote:
As for a title I would like to see licensed but is difficult:
Takemiya’s Song of the Wind and the Trees is a series that has a bunch of things working against it for example being old, long, Shogakukan and having sensitive content.

This one was recently announced by an Italian publisher. They said it will be its first release outside of Japan.

https://www.facebook.com/JPopManga/photos/a.10150161468230367.418135.233308605366/10160608490110367/?type=1&theater

Oh thanks! That's promising someone managed, I hope it goes well for them. Maybe other publishers will eventually work it out too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I have also seen "it was too widely read in scanlations" cited as a reason for manga not being licensed here, although this column doesn't touch on it.

I'd like to see The Otaku's Daughter brought over here, but I guess it's got several strikes against it: it's old (2006-11), moderately long (11 volumes), and has some questionable lolicon content. Fortunately, it avoids Bunny Drop territory, but it does feature comic relief from a "Friendly Neighborhood Pedophile" character. And at one point, the eponymous character gets wistful about not getting routinely preyed on once he loses interest. This is when she's turning ten, btw. spoiler[Though due to the technicality of being born on 2/29/96, she's really just 2 in his view Confused] And it also turns out that one of the other women in the main character's life spoiler[has been secretly married to an older man since age 16.]

CatSword wrote:
Quote:
It's got underage characters doing some legally and socially unacceptable activities

You're omitting a key part of that segment: "...features under-age characters having, uhm, sexual interactions with older characters." As far as I can tell, the relationships and hijinks of those series take place among teenagers, not between adults and teenagers or children.

Merxamers wrote:
I've pretty much come to accept that some of my favorite manga have a long shot, at best, of ever being available officially in English. [...] I have no optimism at all for The World God Only Knows (too long, too Japanese),
Is TWGOK really too Japanese, though? That didn't stop all of the anime from being licensed and dubbed, and target audiences over here are well familiar with the gal-game mechanics that underpin the action. It is 10 years old at this point, and with 26 volumes, it is a bit longer than the average rom-com manga. Maybe there was some other underlying issue with the author or publisher?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Why might a creator not want it in English?

that there is the real 64 dollar question!!!!

i mean if it gets released in English, it mean more exposure time.

the only thing why a creator might not want to cause of influence of its publisher and there is a chance it will sell more than the originals. especially if it have some ero content ala shinmai mao no testament (though the manga & LN versions been released in the US already!) since the original version will be censored while the English versions will be 100% uncensored!!!

the other thing that would derail it is that if its an extremely questionable genre ala aki sora. have actually asked this question to the author on her twitter page and got a response in English that its highly unlikely to get a US publisher, even project H to be aboard with the series.

then there is the legal issues. it'll pretty much derailed any US released if the author gets into trouble and it would be a problem PR wise to release any of their works. i mean it have already done that to log horizon's author and ESPECIALLY ruronni kenshin's author! the chances of any of their new works coming to the US is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE at this point!

Zalis116 wrote:

CatSword wrote:
Quote:

You're omitting a key part of that segment: "...features under-age characters having, uhm, sexual interactions with older characters." As far as I can tell, the relationships and hijinks of those series take place among teenagers, not between adults and teenagers or children.

not exactly. there is kodomo no jikan which got a licensed than to a kickstarter project from digital manga inc and that definitely have those contents which is why it took so damn long for the manga to be released in the US while its anime version which got A LOT more of that fanservice haven't been touched at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
especially if it have some ero content ala shinmai mao no testament (though the manga & LN versions been released in the US already!)

The Shinmai Maou novels are not licensed in the US. Only the two manga adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3