• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Release the Spyce Anime Reveals 2 New Visuals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:
In terms of anticipation, it is clear as day that fans are wanting to see Spyce much more than YagaKimi

What's your evidence? Polls reported on and conducted here haven't indicated that.

Going by Myanimelist stats, YagaKimi has about twice as many reading/plan-to-read as Spyce's watching/plan-to-watch. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, since the latter is an original anime that isn't made by one of the big hype-train studios.

I guess comparisons to Princess Principal were inevitable, but I'm getting the impression that Spyce is yuri (teasing?) first and spy action second; Principal is the other way around, with only one official pairing that wasn't advertised in this way as far as I recall. That doesn't make it worse or anything, but I'm anticipating a lot of backlash and arguing caused by people going into this expecting one thing and getting the exact opposite.
DarkMayhem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
A couple of nice lovely yuri visuals. This anime is my most anticipated of the season, and possibly of the year as well.
How are you people saying this is the most "anticipated" show of the new season? Where are the statistics coming from? Because I find that this show and others that are mentions will be the most un-watched of the season, Most likely every will be on the more main stream stuff like SAO, Index and tokyo ghoul.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
What's your evidence? Polls reported on and conducted here haven't indicated that.

>>>>>>>>>>Polls
Massive oofffss~~ Do you what Kemono Friends is? :3

kotomikun wrote:
Going by Myanimelist stats, YagaKimi has about twice as many reading/plan-to-read as Spyce's watching/plan-to-watch. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, since the latter is an original anime that isn't made by one of the big hype-train studios.

I guess comparisons to Princess Principal were inevitable, but I'm getting the impression that Spyce is yuri (teasing?) first and spy action second; Principal is the other way around, with only one official pairing that wasn't advertised in this way as far as I recall. That doesn't make it worse or anything, but I'm anticipating a lot of backlash and arguing caused by people going into this expecting one thing and getting the exact opposite.

Everywhere else has people talking about Spyce more than YagaKimi anime, including this site. Polls are not the be-all-and-end-all indication of one anime's quality and fan interests and not all polls share the same results. Just look at Kemono Friends and Revue Starlight for examples. Apart from Namori and Takahiro's collaboration, Spyce has been doing promotions for the anime, such as a manga and light novel prequels and an album. Even if YagaKimi has more fan interests than Spyce because it is much older and had warranted itself to get an animated adaptation, the former is likely going to be another yuri anime overshadowed by the latter and bigger anime titles. Besides, the new season has not started yet so anything can happen for these two series.

I also find the PriPri-Spyce comparison to be bothering. They are about spy girls with some pinch of yuri but they have different take on those matters as well as different settings/plot/themes. We really should not judge Spyce based on its two episodes that most people have not even seen. Let us wait until the real deal comes and judge its every episode.

DarkMayhem wrote:
How are you people saying this is the most "anticipated" show of the new season? Where are the statistics coming from? Because I find that this show and others that are mentions will be the most un-watched of the season, Most likely every will be on the more main stream stuff like SAO, Index and tokyo ghoul.

There are anime fans who may not into those overly popular series that you mentioned. They prefer something new every season, even if they are the "most un-watched", instead of the overrated ones. Just saying.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Everywhere else has people talking about Spyce more than YagaKimi anime, including this site. Polls are not the be-all-and-end-all indication of one anime's quality and fan interests and not all polls share the same results. Just look at Kemono Friends and Revue Starlight for examples. Apart from Namori and Takahiro's collaboration, Spyce has been doing promotions for the anime, such as a manga and light novel prequels and an album. Even if YagaKimi has more fan interests than Spyce because it is much older and had warranted itself to get an animated adaptation, the former is likely going to be another yuri anime overshadowed by the latter and bigger anime titles. Besides, the new season has not started yet so anything can happen for these two series.

I don't see it being talked about more here. Certainly at least not enough for it to be "clear as day". To be honest, I am anticipating both series myself, but certainly Yagakimi more. It is more of a known quantity, having read five volumes of the manga and already knowing it's good. Not expecting it to be a success on disc in Japan since sales of outright yuri titles have been pretty consistently poor, but I'm just happy that it's being made at all. And of course there's some chance the adaptation could be disappointing. You are right on the point of anything could happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2