• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alita: Battle Angel Film Pushed Back Again to February 14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised. The weekend leading up to Christmas this year is just jam packed with movies plus Mary Poppins Returns starting the Wednesday before for 5 major movie releases aside from Alita. Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins Returns would have easily taken large bites out of Alita's potential had it stayed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This probably isn't a good sign. Although I'm definitely willing to wait. Would be nice if this wasn't a ridiculously long 3 hour movie like Avatar. Would be nice if it had an R rating too, but probably that's impossible for a film of this budget...
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
According to Deadline.com, Alita is being bumped for what sounds like a PG-13 re-edit of Deadpool 2 on December 21. Source: 'Deadpool 2' Gets PG-13 Christmas Re-release

A PG-13 re-edit of Deadpool 2? I have so many questions, but the biggest one is...why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
AGAAAAAAIN!?

WHAT is going on with this movie!? Shocked

Fox is confused: "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" thought it was getting the "good" Deadpool Week on Valentine's Day, but some other Fox exec thought Alita was getting the Last-Ditch Under-the-Radar February-Pushback Dump for Valentine's Day.
And now Fox's two "big" core-fan movies will have to compete with each OTHER.

We know who they're hoping will win, while the audience sits at a safe distance, and says "Shoot zem both... Cool "

CatSword wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
According to Deadline.com, Alita is being bumped for what sounds like a PG-13 re-edit of Deadpool 2 on December 21. Source: 'Deadpool 2' Gets PG-13 Christmas Re-release

A PG-13 re-edit of Deadpool 2? I have so many questions, but the biggest one is...why?

The same reason Saturday Night Fever once did. Which box-office reality will no doubt disappoint the "cool" 14-yo's, who think PG-13 movies are an abomination on humanity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
In fairness, this does give them time to tone down the eye effects somewhat. A series of tweaks and test screenings should suffice to find the safest ground in uncanny valley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
AGAAAAAAIN!?

WHAT is going on with this movie!? Shocked

It was going against Aquaman and Bumblebee. Now it gets a more empty week in the US and a high grossing week in China.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
February is usually a cinematic death slot but the alternative would be competing with Aquaman, which would trounce it.

Tell that to Deadpool, Black Panther and The LEGO Movie.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
On one hand, movies usually go to February to die, but on the other hand, Deadpool came out in February.

Still, as a Transformers fan, this does give the Bumblebee movie a better chance.

Can Bumblebee's trailers win back the audience The Last Knight pissed off? It will be interesting to see.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Im pretty freaking pissed right now, this was going to come out on my 25th birthday weekend (Dec 24th) and I literally had the entire weekend prepared for this release. I was going to return to my hometown theater to finally catch this as i've been waiting for it since the news broke out about the castings and here we effing go again. Fox is really showing that they have Zero confidence in this film and might as well sell it to Netflix and not theatrically release it at all. Im starting to believe this will be a pretty sh*tty flick and I doubt it'll release in February as well.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suspect it had something to do with the Teen Titans Go! movie introducing the character to kids through namedropping. There seems to be a running gag throughout the film where Deathstroke mistakenly gets called Deadpool by the Titans and they expect him to behave like the character in the R-rated movie. That's the only thing I could think of why Fox would bother making a watered-down version.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

Tell that to Deadpool, Black Panther and The LEGO Movie.

Don't think it's a fair comparison imo. Deadpool and Black Panther are Marvel superheroes, and LEGO Movie is.... well, LEGO. And kiddie show sells.

At least Alita has "From the people who brought you Titanic, Avatar, and Mexico Trilogy!" to sell.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
This probably isn't a good sign.

I think its a good sign. Its would've failed badly against Transformers & Aquaman. At least now it stands somewhat of a chance at the box office.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I like how the general mood of the thread is this movie had zero chance of doing the slightest bit decently if it has even one movie competing against it. So much for a vote of confidence, eh?
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I like how the general mood of the thread is this movie had zero chance of doing the slightest bit decently if it has even one movie competing against it. So much for a vote of confidence, eh?

Well not just one, two big budget movies excepted to be massive. I think any movie is risky to open that day. I mean its a 200 million budget movie based off an anime/manga that isn't that well known. Budget is more than Aquaman's, its nearly double the budget of Bumblebee. The exception is those two movies will do extremely well, for Alita its a complete unknown.
I actually have confidence in this movie being good since I'm a fan of the talent behind it & the manga which they seem to respect but as far as the box office goes Alita is risky lets be real.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
At this rate Avatar 2 will come out before Alita: Battle Angel. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3