• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Cast, Staff, Streaming for New 2019 Fruits Basket TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
Ha. Called it. Knew Funimation was gonna snatch this up before any other company could do it. And like Maiden said, I'm also in the camp where I think it's likely for Funimation to get their VAs to reprise their roles; the ones that still work for Funimation, that is. Eric Vale, Jerry Jewell and John Burgmeier come to mind.

I think Funimation's gonna do a simuldub of this as well. Hopefully the Eng cast list will come out as I've desired, because I really did like the original Fruits Basket anime dub, and I would love to see the same VAs come back and reprise them.

Man, I hope FUNi finds a way to get Laura Bailey to reprise her role as Tohru. It's pretty much one of her career-defining roles.

I really doubt they can afford Laura Bailey for just this. She rarely does anime roles any more (the last I could see is Digimon Fusion ending in 2015) and there's no way she's making time for a simuldub. She really only does recordings out of LA these days, mostly video games, American cartoons and the occasional movie (and D&D). I do know she loved the role, but I doubt she can make that kind of commitment.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XSp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I feel a bit divided on this...

The original was one of those defining titles that I went "ok, from now on I'm an unabashedly huge fan of anime"... together with titles like Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin Tsuyokuhen, Excel Saga, Galaxy Angel and a few others.
So, even if Natsuki-san didn't like the direction it went understandably, I have strong attachments to the original...
Then again, it's definitely a title that deserves the reboot closer to the author's wishes... and newer generations of anime fans should get it.
But even if new seyuus and staff are good and will do a better job for the work, I think I'll always be attached to the original. The original music too, it's just intrinsically connected with the story for me personally.

But it's fine. I felt the same way for HxH, Kino, and Full Metal Alchemist I guess. They all turned out great.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
I'm so looking forward to this, I've wanted this anime to be complete for so long and it's great that Funimation have bought the rights to it. Glad it states that the entire manga will be animated so we know we'll get the whole thing.

It would be great to have the same VAs but I don't mind if they recast some roles, Funimation has a talented crew.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
With an announcement this early one cant help but wonder if funimation is on the production committee.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Back then, Studio DEEN didn't want to let anyone else but Daichi work on the original anime, and Daichi himself said he doesn't want to work with Takaya ever again. I don't know all of the details, but this was the most I could find, if that helps.

DEEN wasn't part of the main production committee so I doubt they had any say in who stays and goes.

The companies in question are TV Tokyo (who is also involved with this new show) and NAS who, according to FUNimation in 2006, liked Daichi.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
With an announcement this early one cant help but wonder if funimation is on the production committee.

Wouldn't surprise me given they revealed the Japanese cast & staff info along with Takaya's message before Japan.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

If this is the case I hope it works out well enough for them that they do the same with other properties they have rights too. My main ones would be Soul Eater, Claymore and Rosario+Vampire. I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting about that other people will want to see.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
Laura's come back for roles like Maka in Soul Eater Not!. The reason I hear when it comes to Laura, Travis, or Tory, and others coming back is scheduling. Their agents often have them booked for games and the like. Laura definitely loves the idea of coming back to some of her old roles she's really loved to play.

I'd recommend fans retweet this news to her so she at least knows to keep an ear open if she's interested in coming back.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Although they don’t have nearly the international presence Crunchyroll does, so I suspect this is going to suck for Fruits Basket fans in various parts of the world.

I expect that the degree to which this proves to be true will be a function of preference rather than legality. Nobody wins when people flock to the illegal sites, but the fanbase itself will stay afloat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Although they don’t have nearly the international presence Crunchyroll does, so I suspect this is going to suck for Fruits Basket fans in various parts of the world.

I thought one of Sony's goals with Funimation was to take their streaming site global.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this. I hope Takaya gets to have it the way she wants this time...
So many shoujo reboots/remakes, it's a good time to be an anime fan for sure!
Yumi Tamura's (Basara, 7SEEDS) big announcement is next week, too! *twirls*
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Booo!

But well... that's the staple from reboots. Hope this will be a good remake, so that it will equate missing out the great original cast esp. Seki Tomokazu as Souma Kyou. Okiayu will also be certainly missed. Regardless of my personal qualms, glad Takaya-sensei finally got her say be heard and followed.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
I'm hopeful for the Funimation cast to reprise their roles, but mindful that the author might insist they don't. Laura Bailey's just had a baby so I doubt she'll be able to commit to a simuldub schedule. I hope that if Funimation has to use a brand new cast they tell us far enough in advance: I need time to mourn.

A different art style will definitely help me to accept a new voice cast, it'll make it clear to my brain that this is a new thing in it's own universe. Don't know if the key visual is indication, but I hope thats how they're drawing the animals.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I really doubt they can afford Laura Bailey for just this. She rarely does anime roles any more (the last I could see is Digimon Fusion ending in 2015) and there's no way she's making time for a simuldub. She really only does recordings out of LA these days, mostly video games, American cartoons and the occasional movie (and D&D). I do know she loved the role, but I doubt she can make that kind of commitment.

Emerje

Well now a days when funimation uses VA’s from LA they record them from LA, thats how Cherami Leigh and Todd haberkorn do it for Fairy tail they record in LA while the director is on a Skype call while the sound engineer is recording and streaming the recording to the director. Caitlin Glass has shown a few videos on her instagram and Twitter on how they record from different locations. A good example right here Caitlin tweeted this the other day

https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/1060654318796398592?s=21

So the chance for Laura to come is there but it’s pretty low depending on her schedule. I mean if they were able to get Yuri Lowenthal to comeback for that code geass movie while he was working on Spider-Man I think there’s a small chance she’ll do it.

Last edited by Dragon_Kaiser on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I really doubt they can afford Laura Bailey for just this.
Emerje

Alexis Tipton it is, then. Even if Laura doesn't come back, I'd be okay with a soundalike. Besides, it is very, very likely for Funimation to let the VAs that worked on the dub back in the day to reprise their roles, anyway. Which means, the dub will end up having a more consistent voice cast between both series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
Fitting as this was one of their earliest shows, at that point wasn't it just Dragon Balla nd Blue Gender?

I haven't watched the original, but I have watched clips of it on YouTube, and I do not think this loos as visually appealing as the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7