• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor of First Male Precure Reflects on What the Role Means to Him

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Takato, it's not really that because I would love to see magical boys done right. It's just that I know a lot of fans including boys accepted what seems to be the rule for Pretty Cure that only girls can be a Pretty Cure since the Precure series is best described as a magical girl series. Tarte the male fairy from Fresh became a Cure before, and I had no problem with that because there is a plot reason for it and he fought the monster. The "be whoever you want to be" is nice, but it has to be done right so it wouldn't mean stuff like becoming a tsundere. It had potential like Hana being a great character and having physical fights with cute moments, but they feel shoved to the side.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
^You're missing the point that your comment about Henri looking stupid in a dress was unnecessary.
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I know this topic is about what we thought about the way they featured the male Cure. You'll see it in my previous comment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
King Kuuga wrote:
#871008 wrote:

H. Guderian wrote:
How about in Splash Star, the unacknowledged final two Cures that once or twice got to be in the background? Michiru and Kaoru? But they hardly get counted nowadays. A bit of a sidetrack. I am just not a giant fan of always introducing a "surprise" Cure in the lead up to the finale.

That's my, and I think the general consensus regarding any Cure series that starts off with an early five+ team. Too many characters and resources are too spread thin. However, it's not a iron-clad rule, as Kyuranger actually apparently did it pretty well. There were 12 Kyurangers. Compare that to the end total count of Yes! 5 that had a total of a whopping 11 and that's a damn lot, even though 5 were the Dark Precure 5.

Yes 5 GoGo ended with 6 girls on the roster. The Dark 5 were movie exclusive, and moreover, only the Yes 5 movie, not even mentioned in GoGo, where we got Milky Rose. These one-off guest characters don't really hurt the team's development, and movie characters are of course only noteworthy within their movie.

Also Kyuranger is a bad example of a large team. The character development was horribly lopsided, with some characters getting much more focus than others, to the point where some of the lesser characters were pretty much the same at the start and end of the show.

As far as Henri goes, I liked how he progressed through the show. I think it's a little disingenuous how this article implies he was a recurring Cure when he only transformed twice, and the second time was when literally everybody in Japan became a cure, but I've always gotten the impression that ANN's Precure articles are written by people following the buzz rather than people that really watch the show, if that makes sense.

Good point. A large cast is of no true concern if it's contained within its own individual stories they're featured in. Unlike Kyuranger. You also brought up a good point with the character development being lopsided. Other people seemed to like it, but I was in the camp didn't care much for it.

As kind of a sidetrack, yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that the people making these Precure articles don't really watch the show and only follow very specific topics that cause a stir. More than Henri transforming into a Cure and literally everyone in Japan doing the same, they didn't even talk about the ending that was talked about frequently and was basically was propaganda for Abe's Master Plan. It's like they have different priorities or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2