• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Brian K. Vaughan to Write Live-Action Gundam Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Should be interesting
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, neat! This has promise now! Of course, it'll take other people to not mess up his script, but odds are very high that the script will be solid!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it is an AU, not so much out of concern for parlaying something like MSG into a (single?) live-action movie, but that it would be less potentially-confusing for an audience to just simply watch a film with a new story from the ground up, rather than one with a bunch of crammed-in content. Also, I would imagine it would be much more relaxing both for someone like Vaughn to craft something with less narrative restraints like with an adaptation, and for producers to not worry about fans dumping of the film and its faithfulness (and thus potentially impacting its hype). Fans are used to alternate universes and takes on the franchise, so someone coming up with something new might actually be more welcomed than derided.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
and it would be nice if they cast a japanese or half-japanese actor as the lead to honor Gundam's country of origin.

Amuro isn't japanese though, and the ones who would pop for that would be Gundam's non japanese fanbase.

Sam Murai wrote:
I really hope it is an AU, not so much out of concern for parlaying something like MSG into a (single?) live-action movie, but that it would be less potentially-confusing for an audience to just simply watch a film with a new story from the ground up, rather than one with a bunch of crammed-in content. Also, I would imagine it would be much more relaxing both for someone like Vaughn to craft something with less narrative restraints like with an adaptation, and for producers to not worry about fans dumping of the film and its faithfulness (and thus potentially impacting its hype). Fans are used to alternate universes and takes on the franchise, so someone coming up with something new might actually be more welcomed than derided.

.....Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a contingent of Gundam fans who hate most of the AU gundam series set outside of UC. Plus as it's an adaptation it's going to open itself up to criticism regardless.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Who was asking for this? Just play Gundam Thunderbolt in theaters.

Oh wait, I do believe I found some leaked footage for this live-action movie.

(Seriously, that was a product somebody put out.)

Oh wow terrible things have been made once upon a time, gee what a shocker.

Even then using the “who asked for this reason” means you have to apply that to literally every product ever made. Nobody ever asks for anything so it’s not a good reason.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
While I love Vaughan as a writer and comic artist simply having him writing the script doesn't guarantee success. It's a good first step, but a shitty director and bad actors can ruin even the best scripts. In terms of visuals I don't think Gundam would be any harder to do than other blockbusters Hollywood has done. The real thing to watch for is who winds up directing it, and then who they get to star in it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
This is because of Ready Player One, isn’t it?

But seriously, this better make up for the lack of a Saga adaptation of some kind.
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This is a billion dollar franchise, merchandise sells Laughing
"As of June 2018, Gundam is the 15th highest-grossing media franchise of all time, estimated to have generated more than $15 billion in total revenue" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Gundam

Its nice that Sunrise is very involved from what I read.

Last edited by levonr on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

But seriously, this better make up for the lack of a Saga adaptation of some kind.

From what some people have said, the cameo being that well received by Americans got the ball rolling.

Calling it now BTW, if it is an adaptation of The Origin, they’re gonna to cast Tom Holland as Amuro.
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
they’re gonna to cast Tom Holland as Amuro.

What have you started?

Chris Pine as Char Aznable:

SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:11 am Reply with quote
Nothing good can come of this. I am very surprised by the amount of optimism here.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

More likely due to Pacific Rim and Pacific Rim 2 given the studio involvement and the easter eggs in PR2 in the form of the Unicorn Gundam statue and the building it was next to being Anaheim Electronics.

Links for those interested - https://imgur.com/r/MovieDetails/HQExDle
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Nothing good can come of this. I am very surprised by the amount of optimism here.

Well the knowledge they got a writer with several great stories under his belt is a good start to earning decent good faith & plus the idea of a live-action Gundam doesn’t sound that crazy.

Like there’s no hard reason to doomsday so why not be optimistic for once?
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Nobody knows how the movie will turn out. We're given little info but so far having this writer isn't a negative. Optimism can change really fast, once a director is announced it could go up or down. Please no Zack Snyder who has a history with Legendary Pictures...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
I need to know more to start having a developed opinion on this but Brian is a very good choice so far. A non-Japanese Gundam could easily work but are theaters truly the best destination, hm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4