• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Announces New English Dub Cast for Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
I’m not sure why people get so persnickety over the use of derogatory terms. I found the subbed version to be an accurate portrayal of how LBTQ people were treated at the time. That type of language was most definitely used ALL the time and I hope they keep it in this new release. Words only have the power you assign them and have to be taken in context. As a reference, I am a 27 year old gay man who grew up in the south.

Side note, I wish they released this in theatres during the holiday season. This is one of my favs to watch around Christmas.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
^My take too; I’m also gay fwiw. It’s like some people genuinely believe writers are eager to condone and identify with the words and actions of every single character they pen...
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
They do say 'okama' a lot in the original dialogue but there are better ways to translate it than the f-slur IMO.

Depends what you mean by better. The word is definitely a slur in Japan so if you go to a gay bar in Shinjuku and start throwing it around you'll be getting a bloodied lip pretty quick. So it's logical to translate it to an English slur, but that's pretty rare for official English subs. Most official translations either sidestep and change the word entirely or leave it in Japanese. It's definitely one of the most touchy subjects when it comes to translations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2