• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Announcementception

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I dunno, I'm not saying people can't be jerks about it, but I feel it's not unreasonable for people to not enjoy the new games when a series begins in a very clear genre with its two first games then randomly switches gears and by the time we got to SS could hardly be called a RPG anymore.

Just please avoid suggesting how I'll ultimately feel about the new game if it were to be more like the first two games. I know you didn't mean offense, but it's always the sort of argument that upsets me as it feels like my opinions are being simplified into reactions that others think they can accurately "predict". It's like when I'm told, "oh, give it a few years, you'll eventually hate the new Star Wars film like the rest of us!" You can't ever know how a different person will react towards or feel about a piece of media.

As someone with zero interest in Paper Mario I just wanted to say well said. This can all be applied to any franchise that has shifted away from its roots or headed in a new direction. There's a lot of anti-criticism movements out there these days on how you shouldn't be allowed to criticize works and you're entitled if you do, either because of fanboy loyalism or industry people shilling for their corporate overlords.

And yeah, double ditto for people who try to predict or put words in peoples mouth. It's like nah, don't try to tell me what I would say in any given situation, thanks. Strawman arguments don't help anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2