• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
It's not funny because it's not actually a comedy, it's an excuse. Like so much other recent anime and manga, lol.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think Uzaki-chan is a funny show, and I do not like either of the main characters, but I am so intrigued by the premise that I eagerly await to learn where the show is heading.

Neither main character seems to have friends or relatives to talk to. An entire year of college passed in the first episode and there is still nobody else in their lives. Neither of them seems to want to verbally admit to the other that they are romantically interested (if that's the case). What exactly is happening here? What happened in their past that makes this seem like a relationship worth watching?

When Uzaki mentioned sleeping over Shinichi's house, I still couldn't tell what she wants from him. Is she so dense that she doesn't see the connotations there or does she know what she is doing and isn't doing it in a mature way?

I sense that the author is writing a relationship fantasy story with a target audience of loner anti-social guys. If that's the case, I want to know if I'm correct, but if that's not the case I want to see how the author subverts my expectations. Maybe Uzaki and Shinichi will be redeemed in future episodes.

I doubt I will seriously watch any of the Uzaki-chan episodes, but I want to hate watch them so bad. I am not offended by the breast and sex jokes because all are so juvenile that I sense the show is proudly targeting immature people. I am mostly concerned about whether the show is advertising and condoning unhealthy relationships with friends or significant others.

Last edited by Gasero on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The issue is that Shinichi doesn't even really come off as an "anti-social loner". He comes off as a rational human being who rightfully wants nothing to do with this annoying stalker gremlin.

But of course he's going to get worn down to accepting her and the romantic tension will start and the will they or won't they and yadda yadda because that's how all these stories work. Someone can't just want to be on their own, something has to be broken with them as a person and needs to be fixed by nosy strangers!
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The character design of Uzaki and Shinichi are like polar opposites. Uzaki like most female anime characters are heavily customized with exaggerating body parts while Shinichi like most male anime protagonist are naturally looking copy-paste clones.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, God, this is gonna be one of those series for James Beckett, isn't it? One that nobody wanted to watch, not even him, but he still watches it because he likes to suffer and tell us weekly how much he's not enjoying it.

Sometimes I wonder if they have to cover a number of hours/reviews/words to get paid.

Wait, I just read an article from one of the reviewers of this website, which says they can't drop shows even if they don't like it. Oh well. Still, why always Beckett? xD
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
^ To be fair, it's been quite a while since it was "always Beckett" as there are several relative noobie reviewers of late. James has said no one makes him do these and I respect that. However, I also believe situations come up where somebody has to do "the one" and if there is a reviewer who can make something entertaining out of a crap show, it is my dear James so he becomes the obvious choice. Gambatte James on this one...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if the anime/manga's going to end up like that terrible "Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy" thing (although what Techno did to Hitomi in that series was way, way worse), except that the genders are swapped, and I dislike it when series try to aim for the toxic message of "If you keep on stalking, harassing and invading the personal space of someone you like, they might magically have romantic feelings for you and think you're the greatest person who ever lives!"

I'm more of an introvert who does feel lonely sometimes myself but I highly doubt I'd like this.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It's not funny because it's not actually a comedy, it's an excuse. Like so much other recent anime and manga, lol.

THERE IT IS! THE LOL!!!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
I don't see this playing out as a romance. It's like Teasing Master takagi, in that it's a dynamic between a girl that likes to tease a boy, except there's no romantic connection. It is of course more adult, and our dude certainly is more sexually aware as an adult, but outside of that embarrassment when exposed to those situations, neither look to so far be interested in a relationship outside of sympathetic friendship. I have no idea about the manga, but so far it just seems to be a show about a clueless irritating chick who does earnestly what her senpai to be happy, and a guy who puts up with it, and maybe even subconsciously likes the attention more than he's willing to admit, and knows her heart's in the right place, and to an extent she may even be right in her intuition that he is a bit lonely, despite being socially functional. The gags are just the icing, granted there's a lot of icing and not much cake yet, but we're only two eps in, and it's not as if we should expect any high drama out of this versus some insight spread thin amongst the hijinks.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
I think the show's been moderately amusing so far. It also helps that Uzaki-chan's cute. On the border of 3 and 3.5 stars for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Uzaki spent so much time on the phone that her noodles got all soggy.

I think maybe East Asians find puffy noodles humorous, since it's also a recurring joke in the manwha and probably upcoming Crunchyroll anime Noblesse. The mc has been asleep at the bottom of the ocean for a few hundred years and has never seen ramen before. He lets it sit too long and is amazed that it doubles in size, insisting on eating it that way ever after. So maybe it's a cultural difference in humor? Not that that makes it funny if you're not steeped in that culture (assuming this explanation is even true, which it probably isn't).

Covnam wrote:
The links in the review ('summer preview guide' & 'real thing that happened') just link to the very same review.

That's been happening a lot over the last few months or so. I don't know why. I can't imagine that all the reviewers have suddenly forgotten how to format links.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Uzaki spent so much time on the phone that her noodles got all soggy.

I think maybe East Asians find puffy noodles humorous, since it's also a recurring joke in the manwha and probably upcoming Crunchyroll anime Noblesse. The mc has been asleep at the bottom of the ocean for a few hundred years and has never seen ramen before. He lets it sit too long and is amazed that it doubles in size, insisting on eating it that way ever after. So maybe it's a cultural difference in humor? Not that that makes it funny if you're not steeped in that culture (assuming this explanation is even true, which it probably isn't).

FWIW, I'm a Pacific Islander, so I've been steeped in Asian noodle dishes of every variety since I was old enough to chew. I understood that "noodles getting soggy is inconvenient" is a cultural touchstone for Asian cultures; I just thought it was a lame punchline.

As for the issue with the links, that can sometime happen if [EDIT 07/20] it turns out I have old man eyes and can't tell when I accidentally put an extra quotation mark in the link HTML code. Don't spend decades playing games and reading in the dark for hours at a time, kids. Learn from my mistakes!
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
I think the humor of the soggy noodle scene derives from the setup before it. During the text message exchange Sakurai told her multiple times to stop bothering her and eat her food, and the final message being that his food has gotten cold because of her.

But Uzaki was so engrossed with making fun of her senpai that it had to be one of her normal friends who pointed out that her noodles have gotten soggy. And that friend basically repeats what Shinichi told her through the text.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

THERE IT IS! THE LOL!!!

I don't even know what that particular post is even supposed to mean by "it's not actually a comedy, it's an excuse". I even went back a page thinking that it was a reply to a post before it, but that doesn't seem to be the case and just feels like it's part of an entirely different conversation.
helln00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah I think the problem with this show is that the characters arent written that well to have the chemistry that would make it work.If Shinichi was actually an anti-social loser instead of just being bland then there could be a good back and forth between the two and they could reflect off each other for the good chemistry.

An example of a similar dynamic is from In/spectre. There purely from better characterisation I think the chemistry works so well that I can just listen to them talk to each other. And you can't say that the male mc in In/spectre wasnt a weird character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8