• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fan Couple Names Their Son After Black Clover's Asta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
How is this news? People name their kids geek names all the time. My cousin just named his child Sakura, big deal Rolling Eyes

How the hell is that a "geek name"??? lmao
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
He’s a child, not a dog. This is cruel.

Yup. Thats the only difference.. but i can see it in Greek in considered a female name...

Plus the fact that Asta means Love in Japanese....

But Asta sounds more like a male name.... probably because its because i first heard the name from BC.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Asta honestly isn't that bad of a name, the parents even have a plausible story to go with the name choice. Some people just have a knee-jerk reaction to anime/game/nerd culture names, but I will admit some names do work better than others.

It's much better than whatever hot mess Elon Musk named his son, or any variation of coronavirus or Covid-19...
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think "Asta" is a better trade-off than Sora, Yuki, or Natsu, especially if the parents are not Japanese.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
That kid is gonna get bullied to death.

You think most people know what Black Clover is?

This is extremely Cringe.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Meh, no different than naming your kid after something from the bible. For me, I find it to be silly as tattooing your girlfriend/boyfriend name on your body.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. I have seen much, much worse names on class rosters over the last couple of decades.

(Of course, I may be a little biased, since I have nephews whose first/middle name combos are Corbin Dallas and Connor MacCleod. . . and no, I'm not joking.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
How is this news? People name their kids geek names all the time. My cousin just named his child Sakura, big deal Rolling Eyes

This.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, if you're gonna name your kid after an animu character, at least Asta is a better choice. It's not Japanese, and from the outside just looks European or something. It's not hard to pronounce and it doesn't have a copious number of Y's or H's in it.

And considering the parents were considering names like Yuki or Yuno, I'm glad they went with Asta. We don't need more white parents giving their white kids Japanese names.
I'm just happy for the small mercy here. Kid dodged a bullet.

Plus, Black Clover does not have the popularity for most people to connect the dots. If he had been called Deku or Goku or Luffy, then people would be like "Hmmm".
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Beyond kids calling them Assta, I don’t foresee the kid having many issues because of their name. Saying “Hey, that kid is named after the MC of an anime from 10+ years ago” would just out you as a big anime fan. I agree with RenRen94 that Asta is a better name than X Æ A-Xii (They had to change it from X Æ A-12 because California requires names to use only the 26 letters of the alphabet).
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Despite what I feel about the MC, Asta is actually a pretty good name. It sounds natural and reminds be of the name Desta which I've considered for a child.

Some 'anime' names are also on my list; I'm heavily considering Euphemia (Code Geass) for a girl and Gwendal or Wolfram (Kyou Kara Maou) for a boy. Albeit not because of the characters per se, the anime introduced me to them but I just really love those names in general.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Well it’s better than North West.

Two words that form one word, that’s some insane crap I tella ya.

They're even bigger idiots because they should've named her South so when she grew up she'd have a job waiting doing Southwest commercials. Still could've been worse. Hello Apple or Blanket.

Key wrote:
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. I have seen much, much worse names on class rosters over the last couple of decades.

(Of course, I may be a little biased, since I have nephews whose first/middle name combos are Corbin Dallas and Connor MacCleod. . . and no, I'm not joking.)

Ok, so those are geeky names, but they could easily pass as normal names as well if others were not familiar with the source material. I figure Corbin Dallas might get more recognition in the 30 and under crowd, or geeks. I would bet 99 out of 100 though would not get the Connor MacCleod reference. I sure hope he's and only child though, otherwise that's gonna be some really bad sibling rivalry. Wink
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Man everyone's really making a big deal out of this huh. Asta isn't even that bad of a name & it's not immediately apparent as Japanese unless u meet people who know BC which isn't all that likely (not as much as MHA anyways). I sense some biased hate for Asta in this comment section...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
At least it's not Sephiroth.
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to the parents, Asta is actually a cool name! It's a short form of Astrid, which in ancient Scandinavian means "beloved/beautiful god". Technically a girl's name, but hey the lines have blurred before when it comes to gendered names.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4