• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wonder Egg Priority Anime Gets Special Edition Broadcast to Conclude Story on June 29

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I heard they outsourced some of the animation towards western fans in the "sakuga community"? That's pretty weird but I guess if their production is so screwed up they had to rely on fan animators to help out then that would explain a lot of things in the last couple of episodes.

I enjoyed the show starting out but somewhere around episode 8 it started going off the rails. Still enjoyable but an odd direction. Not sure how well one extra episode will wrap up everything, but given the lukewarm reception in Japan a sequel is up in the air so it may be all we get.

That's actually pretty common. A lot of anime get western (and Eastern outside Japan) animators in for small sections. One of my friends who lives in America did work on Boruto, and I've seen other non Japanese animators work on all sorts of shows.
Rather than seeing that as "their production is screwed" I think it's better to look at it as them giving other animators a chance to not only work in the industry but also to shine. Some of them get to do amazing work and for an anime like WEP, these contributions just make the show even better.

Also I believe they've outsourced to "fan" animators (I don't think that really discredits their work considering a lot of now professional animators started off as fan animators until they were given the chance to get employed...) from the beginning.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a load off my mind in worrying about Wonder Egg going off the rails at the very end in order to reach the finishing line. And the penultimate episode we're left off with for now doesn't make the wait that bad. It's not in any way an ending, but it does have Ai confront and resolve most of her issues.

Seriously, though, every single person who worked on WEP deserves a month of paid vacation at bare minimum.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
EDIT: It looks like the episode will premiere at 7pm ET 3/30/21 because it arrived late to Funimation. I'll keep this post for today and delete it tomorrow in case anyone has the same question. ^_~

Quote:
Wonder Egg Priority Special Edition will be a continuation of the anime's 12th and final episode, which aired on Tuesday.

As of Tuesday, March 30, 2021, Funimation has 11 episodes listed with no 12th episode on their schedule. I was reading the above quote as the 12th episode aired today (Tuesday, March 30) and the "final" episode will air in June. If that's the case, shouldn't there be a 12th episode listed on Funimation? Or am I reading it wrong and the 12th episode is in June and no new episode came out this week? Thanks!

(I'm a paid subscriber to Funimation.)

Earlier in the day I saw episode 12 posted in the PS4 app, but it disappeared a couple of hours later. I hope nothing shady (like censorship) is going on.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Earlier in the day I saw episode 12 posted in the PS4 app, but it disappeared a couple of hours later. I hope nothing shady (like censorship) is going on.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1376897244998287367?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1376938951211167745%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fmgkofk%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

They are saying they got the episode late, hence the 6 hour delay. Hopefully that's the case. Anime smile
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Seriously, though, every single person who worked on WEP deserves a month of paid vacation at bare minimum.

Second this, but considering how the anime industry works, at best, they will get a week or something insanely short Rolling Eyes
beeperlove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I'm pretty sure the blu-rays aren't even out yet.

They're out. And sold miserably, unfortunately.

Friendly reminder that it's important not to spread misinformation or word ambiguously for other readers. "They're out" implies that multiple DVD/BD volumes, or the entire season, is already released as of the time you posted this reply. When in reality, only volume 1 of BD/DVDs is on sale so far (beginning March 24th, according to the show's official site). Volumes 2 and 3 will release on May 26th and August 25th, respectively.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
beeper09 wrote:
musouka wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I'm pretty sure the blu-rays aren't even out yet.

They're out. And sold miserably, unfortunately.

Friendly reminder that it's important not to spread misinformation or word ambiguously for other readers. "They're out" implies that multiple DVD/BD volumes, or the entire season, is already released as of the time you posted this reply. When in reality, only volume 1 of BD/DVDs is on sale so far (beginning March 24th, according to the show's official site). Volumes 2 and 3 will release on May 26th and August 25th, respectively.

Yes, and five or six days of sales are a bit soon to say they've "sold miserably".
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I should have been more clear that only the first volume is out, but the next volumes are unlikely to move more than the first volume sold and the first volume is unlikely to have a sudden dramatic uptick from its 875 sales.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Yes, I should have been more clear that only the first volume is out, but the next volumes are unlikely to move more than the first volume sold and the first volume is unlikely to have a sudden dramatic uptick from its 875 sales.

Not every show is going to move mountains with a first volume release.
Especially the more esoteric ones. Usually those move more numbers once the show has wrapped and people have had time to let settle their feelings on the show and whether its something they want to hold onto. Additionally, judging by individual volumes is a bit of a misnomer as many people outside of Japan don't like buying multiple volumes and will just wait for a complete season/series.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
I think people in this thread like Weg but BD/DVD sales are average. Overall it's doubtful that anime sell more units next volume unless it add event ticket or gacha codes. SK8 volume was released the same day as WEG and sell 6678 units compare to 875. Many anime have sub 1k sales and that's fine, each year BD/DVD market shrink. Streaming numbers are more important and eventually merch sales.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:49 am Reply with quote
It's also worth noting that Wonder Egg has more episodes per volume, and is being sold at double the price of a regular BD. So the relative success compared to other anime is probably double what the numbers say. Not amazing numbers, but far from "miserable". I'd call them pretty average numbers considering how much more money is being made each volume.

That said, it's 2021. All Blu-ray sales are down, and even in Japan streaming is a big thing now. I've considered importing and I'll at least buy the show on Blu-ray when an English release hits, but even that puts me in a minority camp.
zxcsjf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
After watching 2 times of the 12 ep, spoiler[I think Ai (the real one) lost the left eye by the attack of DOT, and the AI(from the egg) lost the protect of Ai, so she died in the wonder world(and also lost the left eye by the DOT). But after the real Ai go back to the real world, she recalled the fact that it was her weakness finally couldn't protect she and feel very regretful, such a sensitive girl!]
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
That's actually pretty common. A lot of anime get western (and Eastern outside Japan) animators in for small sections. One of my friends who lives in America did work on Boruto, and I've seen other non Japanese animators work on all sorts of shows.
Rather than seeing that as "their production is screwed" I think it's better to look at it as them giving other animators a chance to not only work in the industry but also to shine. Some of them get to do amazing work and for an anime like WEP, these contributions just make the show even better.

Also I believe they've outsourced to "fan" animators (I don't think that really discredits their work considering a lot of now professional animators started off as fan animators until they were given the chance to get employed...) from the beginning.

I guess the stuff I read was being hyperbolic then. It made it sound like people were complaining about the studio exploiting fan animators to do work for them.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I guess the stuff I read was being hyperbolic then. It made it sound like people were complaining about the studio exploiting fan animators to do work for them.

I don't know what you've read so I can't say if there is or isn't any truth in it, but it's becoming a more and more common practice because there are a lot of good non Japanese animators out there.
That said, I believe all of them are probably being exploited in a way because animators are severely underpaid in general, and I imagine western animators would be paid even less. But that's an industry wide problem, not just one studio.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
The 1st DVD/BR usually have the highest sales. I guess there could be exceptions but yeah. 845 is not so good and I don’t think this series will be an exception. Even if the first volume is more expensive because there are more episodes it also means there are less to buy overall so I don’t think that would mean they will make more money off lower sales.

That being said I wouldn’t have expected this type of series to be a top seller in Japan so I am not really surprised at the low sales. Buzz online unfortunately doesn’t necessarily translate to sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3