• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Creator Kentarou Miura Passes Away at 54

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VioletCherry

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm speechless. He was, in my opinion, one of the greatest storytellers of all time. One of the greatest artists too. Berserk was a phenomenal story that transcended the pages it was drawn on. I'm absolutely devastated that he died so young. What an incredible human being. I feel for his loved ones.

I just want to thank him for inspiring me, and so many others over the years. Rest in piece.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Heartbreaking. Beserk was a gut-wrenching series I didn't always enjoy reading, but I always felt that Miura had a lot to say. I was looking forward to seeing what he had to say with the rest of the story. Rest in peace.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I've only dabbled with the series but this still just hit me hard. What a tragedy, shit. Crying or Very sad

Rest In Peace
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this sucks.
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
For once, I'm speechless. He's already been gone for 2 weeks.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This is horrible news. I'm not even sure how to react...

R.I.P. Miura-sensei
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
acute aortic dissection

That's what my grandmother passed away from when I was young. That's really bad. That's an awful way to go given how much damage it causes, doubly so if its not caught early on.

Heart goes out to his friends and family because oof.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
My only experience with Berserk has been watching the original anime series and the first of the reboot films but the original was an incredible classic and still one of the best fantasy anime series. 54 is too young to lose such an important and talented mangaka. RIP Miura and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
While I don't care for Berserk (at least yet, still on the backlog) you can't deny his skills as an artist. RIP
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget to include all the other series he did over the years; Giganto Maxia (published in English by Dark Horse), Duranki (Kentaro and Studio Gaga, not published in English), Japan (published in English by Dark Horse), King of Wolves (published in English by Dark Horse), Legend of The King of Wolves (sequel, not published in English), and the two one-shots before Berserk, NOA and Futatabi.

I really want people to know him more than from Berserk - which is also one of the reasons why he's popular - yet I want to show other titles he did, especially the two one-shots, NOA and Futatabi, which was 4 years (or so) before he did Berserk.

More info about those series on the mangaupdates page https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=670

Further I wish the Miura family, friends, colleagues, partners, et al, all the best in upon hearing the news probably on May 6th all the while downplaying that everything was ok during the tumultuous 14 days before the public announcement.
We lost another fantastic mangaka and as Guts said in the panel https://imgur.com/a/aGiguTf, "He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was Happy"

Last edited by dragonquiz on Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Heart of the Foreign God

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
May he rest in peace, and may his legacy go on
PhantomRow

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never posted on a site out of respect for a creator that passed away but Kentarou Miura deserves my respect. I watched the hell out of the first anime series, the movies, and read an arc (or 2) in the manga that came after the original anime series story ends. I still remember playing the opening to his first anime series so many times while riding the subway train. It always gave me peace. Aside from that I've beaten Dark Souls 1 and played most of Dark Souls 3 spoiler[(I still gotta kill the Nameless King and the game's final boss).] I'm grateful for how he influenced series like Castlevania as well. There's just so much great work that was derived from him or created based on this property that I can't help but acknowledge him. He inspired me so much and the impact he's made on my life helped me get through college 2016-2017 (Dark Souls 1 and 3) and many other dark times I faced. My condolences to his family, friends and any other fans. May he rest in peace. I'm going to load up Dark Souls 3 this week (or next) and finally beat it when I find some time between school assignments and work.

Last edited by PhantomRow on Wed May 19, 2021 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Aw, so sad. My thoughts are with Miura’s family and fans. Sad
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Rest in Peace to the author of my favorite manga series, and possibly favorite piece of fiction ever. The impact his series has had on me is indescribable. And it not ever getting a conclusion is even more gut wrenching. The manga community, and indeed fantasy genre itself have just suffered a major loss. He was/is my mom's age, give a couple months, which I've always found cool, but given his death brings me dread.

I hope it's not disrespectful to Miura, but I wonder if the next chapter was at all close to being released. If so, they could release a volume 41. Though what would make me happiest is seeing notes/sketches for the ending, if they exist. This was his Magnum Opus, his life's work, his masterpiece of a lifetime, after all. Not that I would ever stoop to demanding such answers, I can make my own peace.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Just...
Damn it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8