• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Record of Ragnarok

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
As cool as some fights are, we only got 3 fights out of 12 in a single season. What the heck happened? At least we had important info about the fighters. The manga is still ongoing in Japan so I wonder if the staff already caught up with the manga so they used some padding.

The manga is currently up to the sixth match, which is still not over. If they did a second season with the same pace as the first one (about 20 chapters over 12 episodes), it would only cover two matches.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
when reading the manga i understood the fights aa being who wins 4 out of 7 fights,.might have been a translation problem.
completely agree with the poster who talked about kumo.
also back to the review, when 300 slime had a fighting episode i mentioned to a friend that it looked like a dragon ball fight, but i don't know if i was praising or dissing slime.
Quicknav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
As cool as some fights are, we only got 3 fights out of 12 in a single season. What the heck happened? At least we had important info about the fighters. The manga is still ongoing in Japan so I wonder if the staff already caught up with the manga so they used some padding.

The anime adapted the manga pretty faithfully and there wasn't any padding or catching up at all (if anything they skipped 1 to 2 scenes). That's just how long the fights and their exposition really are. The plan wasn't to have all the fights in one season.

btw the manga is currently at 11 volumes and is on fight number spoiler[6] out of a possible total of 13. It's going to be a while till it ends.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I do wish the manga would be released here in the states in a physical format so I could start to collect it the anime certainly made me want to check the manga out but all we get is a bare bones digital release at the end of the day.

It's a digital first release but they will release it physically next year.
Mavado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quicknav wrote:
btw the manga is currently at 11 volumes and is on fight number spoiler[6] out of a possible total of 13. It's going to be a while till it ends.
I'm willing to bet we'll get at least one draw before the end, bringing up the maximum number of total fights.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Personally, I found even the original manga to be deeply meh. It feels like it's riding on the coattails of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure who's high octave energy and absurdity it tires to copy and the Fate franchise, specifically Fate/Grand Order with it's use of legendary and historical figures. Coincidence that it came out in Japan as both were enjoying all-time highs in popularity? I think not.

Right. Rolling Eyes Just like how early Jojo was shamelessly riding the coattails of Fist of the North Star. And I've always found the accusations of Record of Ragnarok ripping off Fate to be ridiculous. Because by those standards every isekai ever is ripping off Alice in Wonderland with they're whole "transported to another world" gimmick.

Also unlike Fate/Grand Order, ROR didn't need to rely on horny fanservice to become relevant.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I do wish the manga would be released here in the states in a physical format so I could start to collect it the anime certainly made me want to check the manga out but all we get is a bare bones digital release at the end of the day.

.[/quote]It's a digital first release but they will release it physically next year.[/quote]

Thanks! Good to know! A physical release is all I really wanted at the end of the day.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
When mediocre or outright bad adaptations of successful manga happens, I always wonder about the creators' feelings. A great anime adaptation (such as KnY or Jujutsu Kaisen) can elevate the material and push the sales so hard the author doesn't have to work anymore at all after doing a single series if they decide to, so I feel they pay a LOT of attention as to how the anime is received. It must be heartbreaking when it's not good.

At least this isn't nearly at the level of the apocalyptic disaster that was EX-ARM (I still think the manga finishing soon after wasn't a coincidence), but still Shuumatsu no Valkyrie had a bigger potencial as a franchise.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
I enjoyed the show for what it was the animation was far to limited in vastly important story moments Mappa or Bones would of brought a real fluid visual presence to the show's animation but such is life. The dub was average at the end of the day but it was a fairly decent effort James Mathis III as the narrator was a highlight of the dub production. I do wish the manga would be released here in the states in a physical format so I could start to collect it the anime certainly made me want to check the manga out but all we get is a bare bones digital release at the end of the day. If a season two comes out I'll check it out as well.

Bones maybe, but MAPPA? With their production schedule? Jujutsu Kaisen felt like a fluke imo. What is clear is that Graphinica really shouldn't be doing full 2D productions if this is their best foot forward (then again, Expelled from Paradise wasn't a good first impression from a studio who primarily did subcontract CG and composite work anyway, so maybe they should just stick to that).

The dub definitely surprised me with some of its casting choices, particularly with casting recognizable union talent like Mathias III or Keone Young, I'm not sure why it wasn't brought up in the review.

Jujutsu Kaisen? A "fluke"? Either you're high or blind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2