• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Commemorative Fruits Basket Video Reveals New Anime About Tohru's Parents, Stage Play in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
I’m curious though, is the Kyoko/Katsuya storyline controversial in Japan, or is it being touted as controversial only in this side of the world?
I personally don’t care for those kinds of romances because I just can’t wrap my head around how an adult could be genuinely interested in teenager.
In the case of Kyoko/Katsuya I never saw their connection. Then again, I never saw the connection between Uotani & Kureno either.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oggers wrote:
Considering how there were two anime this season about teenage girls developing close relationships with older men that may or may not become romantic (Koikimo and Higehiro), I don't think it would be viewed as that controversial.

Clearly you haven't paid attention to forums over the past few years. Rolling Eyes

Well, yes, I have. Maybe I should have worded that differently; it's more like creatives in Japan are still willing to write about large age gaps like those, regardless of how much backlash they might get from western anime fans (I don't know how the majority of Japanese fans feel about age gaps in anime nowadays, so I can't comment on that). So Kyoko and Katsuya's story clearly wasn't left out because of censorship or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2