• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars: Visions Anime Shorts Reveal Studios, September 22 Disney+ Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
Not everything needs to be a series, just like not every short story needs to be a novel. Sometimes you can just have short-form media, it's good.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Not everything needs to be a series, just like not every short story needs to be a novel. Sometimes you can just have short-form media, it's good.

Exactly.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
Its more likely that some of these shorts will prolly inspire some kind of story down the line one day.

I mean I can imagine The Elder short may give some writers ideas of a Samurai epic akin to Vagabond.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
Watch this become the most interesting non-movie release this cursed season. The project isn´t supposed to be canon btw but who knows where some of these pilot pitches can lead us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:33 am Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

Hopefully, we get some interesting Anime original titles that Disney will add to their service and possibly license.

The big networks' subscription services (Disney+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, etc.) aren't typically into licensing - they're into owning, so they can keep it and monetize it forever. Any content they don't outright own, they get rid of (like Crunchyroll)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote

Funny because it is true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
If it's streaming on Disney+, PASS.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Love the design of that padawan.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

If you can just do the free subscription thing when its fully aired so you can watch in one go without having to pay for it.

Bam simple and done.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

If you can just do the free subscription thing when its fully aired so you can watch in one go without having to pay for it.

Bam simple and done.

I don't care, ever since certain things that I found out happened last year, I'm not giving Disney so much as a penny anymore.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
This looks cool, I'm particulary interested in the Trigger shorts and the Tezuka inspired one. I hope Lucasfilm will produce more projects like this, it would be cool if they made one inspired by science fiction anime like Gundam, Macross or Yamato but focused on X-Wing and Tie-Fighter pilots like the fan-animation that came some years ago.
I wonder if Disney will make more anime projects, they are no strangers to anime, I remember hearing about a cancelled Hannah Montana anime they were developing with Toei. A magical girl show inspired by the Disney Princesses could work.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

Hopefully, we get some interesting Anime original titles that Disney will add to their service and possibly license.

The big networks' subscription services (Disney+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, etc.) aren't typically into licensing - they're into owning, so they can keep it and monetize it forever. Any content they don't outright own, they get rid of (like Crunchyroll)

I disagree, with you, Disney is slowly getting into the anime dubbing game with their Disney+ streaming service sooner or later as shown through the various articles posted this year such as this Hollywood Reporter article back in April:

Quote:
"Sources close to Disney in Asia, meanwhile, say the studio is looking to build out a robust team and slate of Japanese scripted originals, believing the category offers under-leveraged value. The studio also is said to be pursuing a more targeted, rather than high-volume, approach to anime, picking marquee hits that match the Disney+ brand."

And the Project Anime.org article released back in February:

Quote:
"The streaming war on a region-by-region level will likely end after Crunchyroll is acquired by Funimation Global Group, a joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex. With Netflix announcing at least 16 anime titles set for 2021, the fight for more anime and titles will intensify and go global. Disney is most likely the newest player to enter the global streaming war and may acquire anime for its streaming platform Disney+. Disney has already signaled an interest with 10 animated Star Wars films by Japanese anime creators set for 2021. The details behind how involved anime creators are vague at this time. But I expect Disney to be involved, possibly acquiring full TV anime series or adapting their own property into anime series, following the success of Netflix original anime series.

Disney is also no stranger to anime and has an established track record with Studio Ghibli films. Walt Disney Japan has active relationships with various Japanese companies, including Aniplex. Additionally, Walt Disney Japan and Aniplex launched a new mobile game called Twisted Wonderland, which depicts multiple villains and groups from the Disney franchise in a visual novel style. The game is currently available in Japan but bolsters over 1.5 million users. I anticipate it could be a jumping-off point for Disney to dive deeper into the anime ecosystem."
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
Not the biggest Star Wars fan these days, but some of them look cute. I like the designs in The Ninth Jedi, but the Twins one is pretty much just Lio
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

They were already working on the CG series before those shorts came out.

Maybe but I presume had the microseries not gotten popular the CG series may never had happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2