• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Olympics Rings in Parade of Nations With Japanese Game Tunes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
J-pop singer Misia sang the national anthem. She's known for singing ending themes to Star Ocean 3, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphens, and several popular J-drama themes. Her voice and style are pretty recognizable, at least to the common Japanese person.

To a Japanese person, perhaps. However the opening ceremony is meant to showcase your country to the world. Hence Abe cosplaying Mario during the Japanese segment at the closing ceremony at the 2016 Rio Olympics. Note that the original plans for the opening by Mikiko Mizuno (who is the choreographer for Babymetal and Perfume and was the creative director for the Japanese segment at the 2016 Rio Olympics), included Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira tearing around the stadium.

We saw very little of the host city and even less of Japanese culture, popular or otherwise. Instead we got a very somber ceremony with more overseas talent at some points instead of local talent and culture icons.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Note that the original plans for the opening by Mikiko Mizuno (who is the choreographer for Babymetal and Perfume and was the creative director for the Japanese segment at the 2016 Rio Olympics), included Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira tearing around the stadium.

We saw very little of the host city and even less of Japanese culture, popular or otherwise. Instead we got a very somber ceremony with more overseas talent at some points instead of local talent and culture icons.

Oh man that's too bad! Do you have any more of these original plans? It was a very subdued ceremony indeed. Would have been cool to have maybe like Pikachu mascots or anime mascots showing the athletes the way during their march. Or some Gundam out of nowhere.

Anyway i heard they played the Haikyuu!! theme during one of Japan's volleyball games.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Love hearing the music! Kind of surreal, because I never would have thought that would happen.

As for the subdued-like state, I guess because of Covid and many Japanese citizens opposing to the Olympics that many brands like Nintendo and Toyota didn't want to dip their toes too much in the event. No association, tarnish brand, be more in-tune to citizens concerns, etc.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it was a great flourish, even if it was absurd on some level to see Olympians come out to god-tier Sonic music and the fanfare of a lesser Phantasy Star game.

I didn't watch the ceremony live, I watched the rerun so I don't know what NBC cut out, but I felt that otherwise there wasn't a whole lot of the ceremony that celebrated modern Japan compared to how the Pyeongchang opening ceremonies celebrated South Korea and Korean artists.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's actually extremely territorial with music so this doesn't surprise me. I mean, they are extremely territorial about everything but that's another discussion. For the Video Games Live concert series for many years, while they allowed their music to be performed at their concerts they did not want their music on Video Game Live's CDs. Solely because they did not want their music on the same CDs with music from other video game companies. Around volumes four and five of the Video Games Live CDs Nintendo loosened their purse strings and allowed Mario and Zelda music to accompany everything else.

Not that this is what's going on here because I honestly don't know the details, but it's practically a given that Nintendo was asked and they declined. They decline several offers for people to make comic books, animation, anime, live action and other things based on their properties like all of the time. Saying no to everything is kind of their thing at this point.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
No Nintendo music is not surprising. They are pretty draconic about IP rights and probably didn't like the idea of their stuff being played along side other company's music. Otherwise, I think it was a good selection of music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2