• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Streams Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
That looked way better than I expected. I'm not sure how well the cartoonishness will hold up in full length episodes, but I like that the ships feel heavy when they move and aren't just zipping around like fighters in Star Wars.
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay, they just cleaned my slate. I'm excited to watch it. I don't expect it to be great, but I hope it's at least decent or at least fun enough.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Impressions!

Well... looks... cartoony...

On the one hand, the stylized world and FX look pretty good, not how I would've ideally done it, but I can dig it. A bit too dark though... but I can go along...

But on the other hand... the acting is definitely hammed up a lot more than I would've preferred... almost as if they are trying to match that to the stylism... That, I don't quite dig...

I know Mad Pierrot and Teddy Bomber are out there and are one of those things that work a lot better in animation than live-action. But there are better ways they could've gone about this... It's like they just gave up upon looking at a few concepts and settled on let's just cartoony everything.

Also the interactions between the cast are really... wrong... Faye's character comes off as very very annoying. And it's like they know that, and are compensating with Spike continually comically expressing wanting to kill her...

Sigh... I guess I'm curious about what original episodes they're doing. On the hopeful side, if this is halfway successful, then maybe Sunrise or whoever will rope Shinichiro Watanabe back in with the old crew and we'll get a new anime movie in the vein of Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Liking what I'm seeing. Hoping it'll at least be a fun romp.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has no particular expectation because I have zero knowledge of the original show, this looks really really cool and fun Smile
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
As a horrible man once said, "not great, not terrible".
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm still not completely sold on this thing yet. Something about the dialogue and the character relationships feels too snarky and not as subtle or layered as the original, at least in these trailers. Also, I really don't think the gag of Spike pointing his gun at Faye and wanting to kill her is funny or endearing. It's pretty lame, to be honest. BUT, I'm still going to give it a chance.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
The ship scenes provide a Firefly vibe
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
The budget is there but all the charm has been bleached away and neither Spike nor Faye come off as authentic. Not that I ever like Faye´s anime getup. I saw worse in live-action and this is much better than the recent Scott Pilgrim styled teaser but I can´t see me lasting past the pilot. Just blasting the anime OST ain´t it either. New takes on the material need their own scores. Here is hoping that that side can deliver for at least a YT playlist.

At least this might be better than the 2 separate manga and the games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
An interesting thing about CB, is that even though it is sci-fi, it had an old gritty look to it. Machines and environments often looked run down, like the locations had been built many hundreds of years earlier, and they travelled around in old unmaintained vehicles. There is a clean look to this, like every building was just built and every vehicle just came off of the assembly line.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
The swearing feels out of place.
They try to use "bad words" to make their show feel more "adult".
But that is not needed. I had the same issue with Netflix' Castlevania Animation Series.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed in the trailer, I felt like everything shown in the trailer was already shown prior in the previous teasers and leaks. nothing felt new.

I'm still looking forward to it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
The swearing feels out of place.
They try to use "bad words" to make their show feel more "adult".
But that is not needed. I had the same issue with Netflix' Castlevania Animation Series.

The original anime had a ton of cursing. It was admittedly toned down for the Adult Swim airing since they were still dipping their toes into adult content.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
I watched the stream last night, with a clip from the premiere too. I think they’re following the Speed Racer model of adapting the vibe of the anime almost as much as the story. And about the music, people can say oh it’s just Tank again, it’s just What Planet Is This, but two points… they wouldn’t have gotten Yoko Kanno just to have her play the hits. Second, even if it were the old music on replay, would that be so bad?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
They're trying so hard to replicate Bebop without even beginning to understand what made it work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3