• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What We Know About the Funimation-Crunchyroll Merger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, none of this was particularly encouraging, especially regarding blu-ray production and changing "all titles" to an "overwhelming majority" that will transfer over.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Quote:
Will Crunchyroll upload the home video versions of catalog shows for streaming, as Funimation's streams have done for some titles in the past?

The spokesman said that the titles will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, either for possible home video launches or for streaming.

Basically, don't expect uncut releases going forward. That's not encouraging at all.

This would be incredibly stupid on Sony’s part. Imagine spending a billion dollars to buy Crunchyroll and then making a decision like this that would drive people back to piracy.

To bad it wasn’t possible for them to keep both services running. I think running one as PG13 service and one as an uncutt service would have worked well for them. As far as home video there is no reason to go back to edited releases unless they want to kill their business.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

To bad it wasn’t possible for them to keep both services running. I think running one as PG13 service and one as an uncutt service would have worked well for them. As far as home video there is no reason to go back to edited releases unless they want to kill their business.

Keep in mind here "uncut" doesn't just mean "uncensored nudity". What they mean is that Funi used to go back and replace the broadcast versions of their simulcast videos with the home-video versions, which quite often have animation fixes. Plenty of shows without any sort of nudity still drastically differ from their broadcast versions because some scenes (or occasionally entire episodes) are touched up or re-drawn to fix mistakes that couldn't be caught during the TV airing. That's what's in question here, not whether the company will start censoring fanservice titles for home video release or whatever.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Keep in mind here "uncut" doesn't just mean "uncensored nudity". What they mean is that Funi used to go back and replace the broadcast versions of their simulcast videos with the home-video versions, which quite often have animation fixes. Plenty of shows without any sort of nudity still drastically differ from their broadcast versions because some scenes (or occasionally entire episodes) are touched up or re-drawn to fix mistakes that couldn't be caught during the TV airing. That's what's in question here, not whether the company will start censoring fanservice titles for home video release or whatever.

Yeah, a perfect example would be Berserk 2016/2017. When it was simulcasted on Crunchyroll the animation, especially the CG, was understandably insulted to no end, but a decent amount of it was either improved, & some of the CG was straight-up replaced with traditional animation, when it was released on home video. Sure, people can still argue that even the home video version may not look great still, but at least that'd be more because of the direction the staff went with the visuals, not as much the quality of it all, like the simulcast got.

I imagine FUNimation streams Berserk's home video version, while Crunchyroll still streams the broadcast version used for the simulcast. Now, to be fair, I imagine that Crunchyroll will likely switch Berserk over to the home video version, since it's such an infamous example, but we can't guarantee that for everything.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
They made a bunch of the Funimation titles premium. Now a lot of anime I was able to watch for free before cost money, which really frustrates me, since I don't have the ability to pay for a premium membership. Not to mention they don't seem to be bringing over all the titles, including things I was planning on watching. I'm really disappointed.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Yeah, a perfect example would be Berserk 2016/2017. When it was simulcasted on Crunchyroll the animation, especially the CG, was understandably insulted to no end, but a decent amount of it was either improved, & some of the CG was straight-up replaced with traditional animation, when it was released on home video. Sure, people can still argue that even the home video version may not look great still, but at least that'd be more because of the direction the staff went with the visuals, not as much the quality of it all, like the simulcast got.

I imagine FUNimation streams Berserk's home video version, while Crunchyroll still streams the broadcast version used for the simulcast. Now, to be fair, I imagine that Crunchyroll will likely switch Berserk over to the home video version, since it's such an infamous example, but we can't guarantee that for everything.

Yea, I’m not happy. Legit Funimation just put up AoT season 4 part 1’s Blu-ray version. A lot of shows benefit from it. Also I like streaming THEN watching it again unedited / the final version.
Ninten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
As a french guy I'm pretty happy about that merge, I don't care much about the Funimation brand (it pretty much doesn't exist here) and two of the main 3 anime broadcasting service belonged to Sony, it was absurd to keep it like that.
ButtonSmasher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Quote:
Will Crunchyroll upload the home video versions of catalog shows for streaming, as Funimation's streams have done for some titles in the past?

The spokesman said that the titles will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, either for possible home video launches or for streaming.

Basically, don't expect uncut releases going forward. That's not encouraging at all.

KitKat1721 wrote:
Yeah, none of this was particularly encouraging, especially regarding blu-ray production and changing "all titles" to an "overwhelming majority" that will transfer over.

Guys, remember that, contrary to what the branding may imply, the surviving company is Funimation. They are just rebranding Funimation Global Group to Crunchyroll LLC. Colin Decker (current General Manager of Funimation) and his management team will continue to oversee the "new" Crunchyroll.

Honestly, I won't expect any major changes to the way Funimation operates. Those answers are empty PR statements to cover their back. Funimation Films will keep distributing theatrical releases. They were helping Crunchyroll with Jujutsu Kaisen 0 release, and they will expand their footprint to other markets with Sony Pictures' support.They are currently looking for a Vice President, Global Theatrical Distribution.
As @lossthief said, given Funimation's experience with dubbing and Home Entertainment, their teams will lead those segments. Voice acting-related positions are in Texas, where Funimation headquarters and studios are located.

We will keep getting Home Video releases, it will be just under a different brand and logo.
There will be layoffs though (app development teams, news, and marketing teams...) that will touch the two entities, which sucks.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate ANN trying to get some answers here, but I don't think we're any further in getting answers than before.

Ongoing things from the Winter season continue on Funimation, but no indication of whether they will also be on Crunchyroll either now or fairly soon.

Closed-captioning and streamlining language options in the player are still a "working on it" status.

Adding the home video version to streaming sounds like they might as well have said, "Don't count on it." I'm not going to be surprised if it's considered a premium reserved for physical discs alone.

I do commend ANN for asking about layoffs and subtitle rates. No surprise there wasn't an answer given, but I think we can probably assume they will pay CR's lower subtitle rates.
By a similar reasoning, I think odds are that dubs will be done in Texas to avoid union rates. I suppose it's conceivable that there not being a Funimation to record for means far less to tie an actor to that area instead of moving to LA. Then again, remote recording kind of turned location-based casting on its head.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
"All titles" being changed to "overwhelming majority" does not inspire any amount of confidence. I expect a lot of more obscure/older shows to disappear
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Not going to lie, but if I cannot stream legally the version I want to watch, I'm not going to buy the physical version that costs multiple months' worth of subscription fees for one show. I will simply not watch it or go somewhere where I can stream it. I've waited months to years for some streaming services to correct this, but have been disappointed. I won't illegally stream content if it is available for streaming legally.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope they figure out a good way to transfer digital purchases. Didn't see that much information about it
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So completely killing off a decades-old physical media brand in favor of a brand that up until now has no presence in that space? That is incredibly stupid.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I hope they figure out a good way to transfer digital purchases. Didn't see that much information about it

It wasn't said here, but they said before that they were working on a way to transfer watch queues, watch history and digital purchases to Crunchyroll. Hopefully they figure that out.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
all this talk of funimation is reminding me of how much i miss bandai visual usa. they truly knew anime fan wants Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5