• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll: Shojo Anime Genre Has Strong Growth Potential

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised at all. More shojo and josei, please!!
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Also ignoring the numerous anime that feature Japanese and non Japanese related politics?

I think they're using "political" in the sense of "handling social themes that I'm uncomfortable with and would rather not see." Eg. the LGBTQ agenda, the race agenda, the untouched and pure culture of Japan being infested with woke western influences, etc.

Anyway, I'm not going to touch the rest with a ten-foot pole (because dear god, "shoujo" is not a genre, "shoujo" does not equal romance, generally these labels mean less and less as time goes on, and it would be so great if people would keep up instead of clinging to mostly arbitrary and incorrect definitions and so on and so forth), only adding that if this takes us just one step closer to a Kimi wo shinasenai... anime that's a good thing.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not shocked by this, I remember when you could sort Funimation's catalog by popularity a couple years or so back, and a couple of their most popular titles were shoujo or it's anime-only demographic equivalent. I do think Fruits Basket might not be the most telling indicator or example to use considering it's one of, if not the most popular shoujo title of the past 20 years outside of like... Sailor Moon. But that doesn't change that a lot of shoujo rarely seem to get an anime, let alone a full/on-going series, or go beyond a paint-by-numbers adaptation.

I get why that is in a lot of cases, especially when it comes to returning on investment (like manga or merch sales), and I'm fully in the camp that the industry is probably producing too many anime series every season to really be sustainable and not burn out talented creatives (esp those with low pay). But I still can't help but think of a lot of fun, unique shoujo series that would make for a great series if done well.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
considering they now pretty much own the anime market in the west through Sony,they can make any anime of any genre of any demographic to be popular if they promote them right.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's certainly a large catalog of license rescues and never-licensed series to choose from, if they want something right away. The 90s and 00s were overflowing with good shoujo anime.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I was curious and decided to browse through Crunchyroll's "shoujo" category and the first title that pops up for me is Akebi's Sailor Uniform; a seinen series. Crunchyroll might perhaps be referring to any slice of life series starring girls or romance series in general as shoujo, especially if they're citing Sono Bisque Doll as a factor for this observation of theirs.

I agree with the poster who mentioned that shoujo and josei manga do seem to be adapted into live-action more often than anime. I suppose this might be a case of where Japanese and American fans will differ. Crunchyroll being an anime streaming platform would no doubt prefer more anime adaptions be made so they can profit off them since they don't seem to be in the live-action drama business anymore.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
People have been ignoring or bashing on franchises towards the female demographic. /Fans and critics/. For plots, characters but then giving none towards the male demographic.
I'm proud of crunchyroll. I hope we can get better animation unlike A3 and dynamic cord.
nutmegknight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fans of idol anime shouldn't get their hopes up, however, as female-targeted idol anime were singled out as the exception to this trend

That’s a shame because I quite like a lot of female aimed idol shows and there’s a lot of good ones out there. Also might explain why Crunchyroll never added more of the pretty series after they got Kiratto PriChan season 1, Idol Time Pripara and King of Prism Shiny Seven Stars Sad

I hope that more shoujo series can get English releases in the west, there’s a lot of good ones out there and I feel a lot of people tend to dismiss them because “they’re for girls”
Hi! Jhonathan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
People have been ignoring or bashing on franchises towards the female demographic. /Fans and critics/. For plots, characters but then giving none towards the male demographic.
I'm proud of crunchyroll. I hope we can get better animation unlike A3 and dynamic cord.

People bash series aimed at male audiences all the time, it's twitter favorite pastime
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I do think Fruits Basket might not be the most telling indicator or example to use considering it's one of, if not the most popular shoujo title of the past 20 years outside of like... Sailor Moon.

I'd say Furuba eclipsed Sailor Moon at this point. Crystal didn't really set ablaze the hearts of new fans, but I heard teens talking about the new Fruits Basket in public spaces out in the wild while it was initially airing. The new series is probably the defining shoujo of this time, which is funny considering the manga is a couple decades old.

One thing I'd like to see is just for more shoujo anime to get some follow ups on ongoing stories. It seems like a lot of modern series are rather lengthy, but they only adapt a bit at the beginning for the anime and then never do the next 20 books or whatever. Like, the Yona of the Dawn OVA came out 7 years ago (and we never even got in licensed in the US). It's still ongoing so I don't expect a full adaptation, but I feel like we could have had another cours or movie or something in the meantime to help funnel interest back to the manga.

It's just kind've a bummer that it seems the powers that be don't feel it's ever worth it to do sequel series for shoujo anime based on manga anymore. If CR wants to throw some money at sequel productions for such things, I'd be game for that. (Josei is also always welcome. I'll just keep rewatching Nana as a stopgap until that happens)

Last edited by Triltaison on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mao-sama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:55 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Also ignoring the numerous anime that feature Japanese and non Japanese related politics?

I think they're using "political" in the sense of "handling social themes that I'm uncomfortable with and would rather not see." Eg. the LGBTQ agenda, the race agenda, the untouched and pure culture of Japan being infested with woke western influences, etc.
Writers' room 100% female .....
If this not politics then what? Newton's law?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:58 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Gee, it's almost like people are tired of all the boiler-plate isekai stuff and recognize that shoujo titles do have an audience outside of Japan, and always have had one.
There are Shojo Isekai titles out there. Not every Shojo falls under the Shonen demographic.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:59 am Reply with quote
mao-sama wrote:
SHD wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Writers' room 100% female .....
If this not politics then what? Newton's law?

Because a 100% male writers' room is not "political" whatsoever! That's just how things naturally are, anything different is political agenda!
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:17 am Reply with quote
^^^^
This is literally what @SHD is talking about.
Whether its the writers room being 100% female or a video game having a female or POC as a protagonist, "politics" is just shorthand for "topic related to current events that makes me uncomfortable".
Thats not to say these things are always well intentioned, i doubt CR actually cares it's just a market to tap and it led to the glut of YA adaptations from holywood in the mid-2010s (hunger game, divergent, etc.).
But the pearl clutching is silly and predictable
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Shouji is a demographic, not a genre. I still see people confused about this and such article titles don't help. ^^'

And a demographic can be used to help describe a type of anime. All "shojo anime" indicates is anime that is made primarily to appeal to the shojo (i.e. "young woman") demographic. In appealing to that demographic, though, there are many often-used tropes, concepts, & ideas, because they have been proven to consistently work, which in turn can also make "shojo anime" feel like a genre, in & of itself.

It really comes down to how you want to interpret it, and all Crunchyroll was saying was that they'd like to see companies produce more anime that appeals to that demographic, as the few that are getting made have been consistently doing better than expected, which shows that it's a larger demographic than the industry thinks.

Nope, it just describes its main target, not what an anime (or manga) is about. To make an example with shounen, take Hikaru no Go and One Piece: both shounen manga, but they are different genres.
Words have a meaning, and demographics aren't "genres".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4