• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars: Visions Project Gets Volume 2 Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Matros wrote:
Honestly really funny that SW got owned because every freaking studio is busy at the moment due to overproduction and there being dozens of action anime coming, so they have to look for creators in other countries.

I'd say it's more marketing. They billed Visions as being anime and made by Japanese creators, but now they can put western animators on it and still brand it as anime like Netflix and other platforms do and ride on the coattails. But personally I'm not really interested in western Star Wars content. The reason Visions worked was because it was different and didn't just feel like typical LucasFilms cartoons and movies, almost a return to older era Star Wars.

I mean, the wording indicates that they could now hire creators from the countries to work with the Japanese studios for the shorts.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I mean, the wording indicates that they could now hire creators from the countries to work with the Japanese studios for the shorts.

A creator out of California is probably going to give us what we already see being done with Star Wars currently only the animation might be better if Japanese studios are doing it.

Visions was hands down the best Star Wars thing we've seen since the Disney buyout. But it's not really surprising they'd find some way to ruin it in the end by completely changing the main appeal of it.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

A creator out of California is probably going to give us what we already see being done with Star Wars currently only the animation might be better if Japanese studios are doing it.

Visions was hands down the best Star Wars thing we've seen since the Disney buyout. But it's not really surprising they'd find some way to ruin it in the end by completely changing the main appeal of it.

Dude, we don’t even know what each short will be about, so no need to get think of the worst about it at the moment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

But personally I'm not really interested in western Star Wars content. The reason Visions worked was because it was different and didn't just feel like typical LucasFilms cartoons and movies, almost a return to older era Star Wars.

It's weird that people would classify Chile, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain, South Africa, India, and South Korea as all "western"

And even in western countries like the west is a monolith. It's like America has taken over the west, and all western countries reflect America

The point of "Visions" is to get other cultures' take on Star Wars, not to pander it just to Americans. They want to sell Star Wars to the whole world. Other countries, be they eastern or western, still have their own cultures and mythologies (and I'd daresay guarantee the Indian's take would be way different than could be expected). The French ain't like the Spanish ain't like the English - look at the type of films they make
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

But personally I'm not really interested in western Star Wars content. The reason Visions worked was because it was different and didn't just feel like typical LucasFilms cartoons and movies, almost a return to older era Star Wars.

It's weird that people would classify Chile, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain, South Africa, India, and South Korea as all "western"

And even in western countries like the west is a monolith. It's like America has taken over the west, and all western countries reflect America

The point of "Visions" is to get other cultures' take on Star Wars, not to pander it just to Americans. They want to sell Star Wars to the whole world. Other countries, be they eastern or western, still have their own cultures and mythologies (and I'd daresay guarantee the Indian's take would be way different than could be expected). The French ain't like the Spanish ain't like the English - look at the type of films they make

Yeah. Look at Ireland itself, it produced some of the most beautifully animated films of all time, so their style would be interesting with Star Wars.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Here's a possible preview of one now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bDzHP6_Pk
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that they're branching to different regions. Makes me wonder how it'll all looking coming together.

I was just curious if they were do any sequels to volume 1 or use any new studios.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd give some of these studios and their SW world more than 7 to 20 minutes to tell a story.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it, loved the first volume, so more works out pretty well
Aster97

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Visions is the best thing to come out of Star Wars since the Last Jedi, so I was hoping more. Hopefully they'll tell more stories that aren't almost totally about Jedi and Sith this time around, as that was the only real limitation to it. Though I fully expect sequels to Lop and Ocho and The Ninth Jedi.

yah the ninth jedi was one of my favorite shorts too, really wanna see if they can rescue her father
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2