• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nitroplus, P.A. Works Make January 2023 Assassin Anime Buddy Daddies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Just because such a set-up might often cater to BL fans, that doesn't necessarily mean this Jan. 2023 anime is. It is possible for a young kid to have 2 parental figures of the same sex and it not be a gay-slanted story. Maybe this show is BL-themed.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
So many years since Yuri on Ice, and still no one dares to do the simple thing it did to reach success. That kind of weakness is disappointing.

Sarazanmai has a male/male "aishiteru" (which YoI didn't) and straight up had a spinoff manga in the BL magazine RuTile (in fact, that had two police officers taking care of a baby. Sounds familiar). But sure, nobody has ever done what Yuri on Ice has since.

Last edited by MagicPolly on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
So many years since Yuri on Ice, and still no one dares to do the simple thing it did to reach success. That kind of weakness is disappointing.

The same Yuri on Ice where the producers censored and toned things down so as not to upset people not into BL? Doing things like blocking an alleged kiss with arm placement? There's been plenty of BL anime before and after Yuri on Ice that have been far more explicit and upfront with there themes. They don't need to copy or emulate Yuri on Ice's wishy-washy stance.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Ranmaru: Anata no Kokoro Otasuke Shimasu was more gay and explicit than Yuri on ice and no one watched it.

spoiler[[img]https://image.myanimelist.net/ui/5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwFikzFX2YPOFBo0gS0DB02O9Hoah1uBPlTjpgj4qps9K[/img]]
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Just because such a set-up might often cater to BL fans, that doesn't necessarily mean this Jan. 2023 anime is. It is possible for a young kid to have 2 parental figures of the same sex and it not be a gay-slanted story. Maybe this show is BL-themed.

So in your mind what's the difference between a show cattered to BL fans, and a BL-themed show....?
Sure, a kid can have two fathers and you absolutely can write an innocent story around their life (not focusing on the parents' romance), but a show by Nitroplus is definitely not a children story/show.

I'm not saying this is automatically a BL romance story but I'm with Kirki on this, the production knows very well what they're doing. And we're gonna ship these two beacuse why wouldn't we? (Though I don't think this is set up for a failure just because it's "not Yuri on Ice"....)
Nev999

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit like looking at Spy x Family and being like 'look. just because a man and a woman raise a child together and it's called Spy x Family' doesn't mean there's going to be any romantic tension between the male and female lead, you're getting carried away, maybe it's just a het-THEMED, it's possible', yet I strangely haven't seen anyone do that! I wonder what the difference is! It really stumps ya!

Yes, it's technically possible for a child to have parents who were never in a romantic relationship, but you generally assume they either are or were in one, and it's really uncommon for that not to be the case. When someone says 'i have two dads' you don't think 'hey they're probably just two bros who happen to be her dads', or at least I hope no one's that far gone.

That being said, I do agree it's way too early to say if this show will be bad or just bait yet, and there have definitely been quite a few stories focused on romance between guys since Yuri on Ice.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:51 pm Reply with quote
As I don't follow BL shows, I don't know what the differences would be.

@Nev999: I do agree that generally when a person says that they have 2 dads/moms, the assumption is that is usu. or likely going to be perceived as an LGBT couple.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:27 am Reply with quote
light turner:
Quote:
Why is the guy on the left dressed like Ed from Ed, Edd, n Eddy

Damn, you're right, I can't unsee it anymore.

This promo is giving me shades of The Millionaire Detective where people will gush about one character because of design alone. I'm hoping that this one will be better, though, and have a more refreshing storyline than maybe a Spy x Family rehash or BL bait that doesn't go anywhere in the end.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:44 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:27 am Reply with quote
We only got cast, name and short synopsis and you already presume this series will be a heavy BL-bait. Like when any buddy cop show or series with two guys taking care of a child is one. It may be one, but let's wait for the actual deal before jumping into assumptions.

Last edited by Nachtwandler on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Like when any buddy cop show or series with two guys taking care of a child is one. It may be one, but lets wait for the actual deal before jumping into assumptions.

Wondering if Miami Vice or Cagney & Lacey were released today, would they have been viewed as BL or GL bait at the start, respectively? Neither had a child though.

The only other more applicable comparison here I can think of right of the bat(I'm sure there are others but they escape my mind), I guess it would be Nanoha and Fate from the NGLM franchise as they have a foster child together. Though in that case I concur there's a general understanding among its audience they indeed are that way off-screen...

Also, people, please, please, slow down on the multi-quotes thing, it makes reading a choir...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote
I personally after reading the synopsis remembered a couple of French comedies (don't remeber if any of them was remaked by Hollywood). Like this one. And I'd rather see a good comedy here than what people presume it will be. Simply because BL/GL is not something P.A. Works ever made (the closest they got were Canaan and Appare-Ranman).

Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:30 am Reply with quote
Nevermind, I take back what I said. P.A. Works will totally make this work, right? (I blame beta Hajime out of this...) Mad
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:06 am Reply with quote
Can't have two male/female leads in a show anymore since it seems to bring out the worst in people.
allnightclerk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:19 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Can't have two male/female leads in a show anymore since it seems to bring out the worst in people.

It's nothing new. Women have been sexualizing male friendships since the dawn of time. It's just a lot more noticeable in the era of social media and the internet. You always hear about how women shipped Captain Kirk and Spock back in the day. I'm sure if social media existed since the 50s we'd see a lot more older shows being treated the same. Something like The Odd Couple with two newly divorced guys living together would be ripe for that kind of demographic. Same for Laverne and Shirley.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3