• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Thanks! CR used to have a little sidebar on series pages with that sort of info when delays happened, but either they moved it, got rid of it, or I'm just blind. Smile

Unfortunately, they never ported that feature over with the new redesign, which is really annoying. At least there is still one place that shows the times that shows are released: the schedule page that is hidden away (I don't think anything links to it anymore): https://www.crunchyroll.com/simulcastcalendar [note that if you aren't logged in, and maybe don't have premium, it shows the free episode schedule by default, but you can change it]

The schedule doesn't show any future releases though, even within the current day, so you won't find Iruma episode 7 there.

The release in Japan is about 14 hours from now, so maybe CR will also post it in the early morning tomorrow (PST-EST time zones).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Clara having her own toybox dimension where she can play with childlike versions of people until they get their magic drained and collapse or "fall head over heels" is the most Clara thing ever.

And of course, the return of the musical numbers!

That "I love you the most" was a critical hit.

Was not expecting Dosanko's gang to see hot Agares.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:17 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
the schedule page that is hidden away (I don't think anything links to it anymore)

It's at the top under "browse".

I find it rather annoying to the point of frustrating that any of the Royal One students would take points from each other when keeping Royal One depends on everyone's success.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:14 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
the schedule page that is hidden away (I don't think anything links to it anymore)

It's at the top under "browse".

I find it rather annoying to the point of frustrating that any of the Royal One students would take points from each other when keeping Royal One depends on everyone's success.

Emerje

Not really, there are actually 2 competitions, if they failed this they still get another chance. Another thing is that this go back to a fundamental aspect of most demons: They are selfish and more often than not can be easily caught up in the pursuit of their own goal. Basically now the misfit class have to prove themselves to their tutors, thus they are pursuing that goal while forgetting why they even in this competition to begin with.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'm just here to say I love the ED, both the visuals and the song
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be interesting to know if this is what his evil cycle looked like before meeting Iruma, because it really does seem to be a manifestation of his feelings for the other boy.

No, it was most likely the same - if he's ever had an evil cycle before, that is. (I think the story is a bit vague as to when it starts to happen and in what way demons are dealing with it, other than the whole idol business. Anime smile + sweatdrop ) The anime somehow failed to make this clear, but his family's heirloom power is "beautiful destruction": the Asmodeus family (ie. the demons Asmodeus) controls virtue and destruction, virtue in Japanese is "bitoku" 美徳 with the kanji of for beauty (美), destruction is "hakai" 破壊, so mash the two words together and you get "bikai" 美壊 which means "beautiful destruction", and that is the meaning of the word "vino" that he kept repeating. No, I'm not making this up, it's in the manga, volume 13. The "nock nock" he was saying means "destruction". (Maybe I can link to these snaps without my entire post getting deleted...)

The safe word is needed so that he can snap out of it at command, instead of having to wait for it to pass naturally, and that's where his feelings for Iruma come into the picture - that Iruma is the only thing that can penetrate the fog in his mind when he's in this state, which is part sweet and part really impressive re: his all-encompassing love for Iruma, which is even stronger than his natural demonic instincts.

Anyway, while I enjoyed this episode, I was a bit disappointed by the production values. I had hoped that an episode like this would get a bit more budget to look really good. Alas... I guess they're saving the money for Irumi.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
All this over a complete misunderstanding! Even if it's not intentional, it feels fitting knowing how much of a troll Furfur is.

I was not expecting Evil Cycle Azz. Dude became a Bishonen unleashed with all that drunken, sensual, rampage. The only thing that can stop him is his pure love for Iruma.

I wonder what Sabro's is like. And his codeword?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation @SHD Smile

I hope we can see more evil cycles from the other misfits as the series goes on.

Quote:
At this point, I felt like it's safe to say that we'll be in this story arc for the rest of the season

You're probably right, but I'm hoping not the entire season, maybe by 15 or so it will be over? It's not terrible or anything (not even close), but definitely the weakest Iruma has been for me.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
At least the Dorodoro Brothers can top to when they've lost, even if they want a rematch. I wonder if they'll ever resolve this misunderstanding about their "master."

I'm not surprised a Keroli segment involved cross-dressing and idol performances, but I wasn't expecting an animal music number either.

Ameri down so bad for Iruma that one of her subordinates has finally noticed the obvious.

I wasn't expecting any of the Misfit Class to drop out, so seeing that Jazz and Allocer did surprised me. I'm curious why they did it and if they won't be the last of the Misfit Class to do so.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This arc is alright I just wish the actual competition was more exciting. I'm ready to move on so I hope this arc doesn't go on too long.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Ameri down so bad for Iruma that one of her subordinates has finally noticed the obvious.

Her friend totally walked her into a trap there. She was gonna try deny it but ultimately went with ".... yeah.".

I'm not sure she's gonna get her hoped for proposal just yet. Iruma is a bit too dense for that still.

What con is Jazz pulling here? Can he earn points running a gambling den?
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
I don't think the story itself is mediocre, I think the main problem with this arc is that it just doesn't really work as well as anime as the previous arcs that were more focused on Iruma and had a tighter story.

Remember, this is a weekly manga, and as such it has very short chapters - they're basically snack-sized in volume and content, you can read a chapter in a couple of minutes and get about as much entertainment out of it, with the exception of the occasional important plot point, or heavier storyline. So basically every month you get 4-5 chapters, altogether ~10-15 minutes of what is, most of the time, ultimately fluff (not necessarily in the negative sense of the word). That is by design, that's how the story is written and developed.

But with anime being not as static as a manga, by nature, they can't just speed through a story like one would read a chapter. Something that was designed for a quick 2-minute read takes ~8-10 minutes to convey in animation, if not more, and there's simply not enough content, or not enough quality content, for that. For example, while in the manga it was fun to check in on the adventures of the secondary cast (eg. Jazz, Kurumi, Allocar, etc.), they were really just check-ins, something that was fun to consume in the 2-3 minutes it took to read a chapter. But in the anime they're full 20-minute episodes of content that was not developed for the reader/viewer to spend that much time with - honestly most of these characters are simply not interesting enough to carry full episodes by themselves, they're not designed to be.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:52 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I don't think the story itself is mediocre, I think the main problem with this arc is that it just doesn't really work as well as anime as the previous arcs that were more focused on Iruma and had a tighter story.

Remember, this is a weekly manga, and as such it has very short chapters - they're basically snack-sized in volume and content, you can read a chapter in a couple of minutes and get about as much entertainment out of it, with the exception of the occasional important plot point, or heavier storyline. So basically every month you get 4-5 chapters, altogether ~10-15 minutes of what is, most of the time, ultimately fluff (not necessarily in the negative sense of the word). That is by design, that's how the story is written and developed.

But with anime being not as static as a manga, by nature, they can't just speed through a story like one would read a chapter. Something that was designed for a quick 2-minute read takes ~8-10 minutes to convey in animation, if not more, and there's simply not enough content, or not enough quality content, for that. For example, while in the manga it was fun to check in on the adventures of the secondary cast (eg. Jazz, Kurumi, Allocar, etc.), they were really just check-ins, something that was fun to consume in the 2-3 minutes it took to read a chapter. But in the anime they're full 20-minute episodes of content that was not developed for the reader/viewer to spend that much time with - honestly most of these characters are simply not interesting enough to carry full episodes by themselves, they're not designed to be.

This is a fair point. The perils of adapting a gag manga I guess. I don't know how you'd restructure this arc to make it work better without fundamentally rewriting it. The show works best when it's either focused on Team Iruma doing a thing, or as an ensemble cast that bounce off each other in wacky ways. And the content here just doesn't support that. It has felt like it's dragged it's feet a bit, taking a very long time to slowly inch a fairly thin plot forwards. It's not terrible, but it's weaker as a anime than earlier seasons.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
First Love Memories is a powerful thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6