• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime You Should Have Been Watching… in Fall 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other notable shows from Fall 2012 that I don't have room to talk about in detail include the maligned Muv Luv Alternative spin-off Total Eclipse. I've not watched it, apparently it's terrible,

This write-up could do better than second-hand info saying it's "terrible".

Instead, how about "a tedious slog with Satelight's B-team, until the production problems hit mid-way through the second season, after which it becomes a tedious slog with Satelight's C-team."
Quote:
but if you enjoy the currently streaming Muv Luv Alternative Season 2 (that's an actual adaptation of the visual novel),

Almost nobody enjoys the currently streaming Muv Luv Alternative Season 2.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice article! The bread scene from Humanity Has Declined...sweet jeebus...

I had fallen out of my anime fandom around this time and wasn't watching very much, so I missed a lot of the shows mentioned. I've seen Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions and enjoyed it. Psycho-Pass I still need to watch, and I'm adding From The New World to my ridiculously long backlog too after seeing what this article and other comments had to say about it.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Nice article! The bread scene from Humanity Has Declined...sweet jeebus...

Does this bread thing have any similarities to the major reveal in the movie, spoiler[Soylent Green]?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Some favorite 2012 series include From the New World, Lupin III: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and Psycho-Pass. Also Fate/Zero if we're counting that since the second cour aired in 2012.

And despite not watching anime seasonally in 2012, I refuse to believe some of these series came out that long ago haha
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
While admitting never having played the VN, the Robotics;Notes anime is sorely underrated--it's just as much a nicely told relationship drama with a sci-fi backdrop as Steins;Gate, if not better.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The Humanity has declined video has a copyright strike
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The seasonal anime I actually did watch during Fall 2012: PSYCHO-PASS, Robotics;Notes, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, K, second cour of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, and the final two episodes of Eureka seveN AO.

The ones I caught after the fact: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Girls und Panzer, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!, second cour of Sword Art Online, respective cours of Naruto Shippuden, One Piece and Hunter x Hunter, the Is This a Zombie? Of the Dead OVA, and One Piece Film Z.

What I plan on watching in the foreseeable future: Initial D: Fifth Stage.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@Doctorkev If you haven't watched Little Busters! or Angel Beats! u should SERIOUSLY watch them ASAP. Also, most if not all u've listed are big name series that are well known by the anime fandom. I'd like to see some hidden gems if possible that are less well known. As for what u wrote about Girls and Panzer, thank you. I'll pass. For a very long time I've asked occasionally those who rec'd the series to me to convince me to watch it by telling me what its about besides cute girls doing cute things but in tanks (A genre I don't care much about) and they never could. I feel what u wrote is the best the series prolly has to offer, like sounds like tis got some comedy to it but I'll still pass given the cute girls doing cute thigns tend to have borderly boring and or slow as a snail pacing/stories. (Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup o tea lol)

pachy_boy wrote:
While admitting never having played the VN, the Robotics;Notes anime is sorely underrated--it's just as much a nicely told relationship drama with a sci-fi backdrop as Steins;Gate, if not better.
Having watched and played S;G but only watched R;N, I cna say, not even close. Like ok MAYBE u can come to like the chars in both series, but the story is an entirely dif matter. R;N's story in the anime without spoilers is a generic one and done poorly i will add. It made me lose any interest in the series ENTIRELY and for me personally here, made me not care about any of the chars too, outside of the spoiler[one that dies] near the end of the series. MEAN WHILE S;G is a slow watch for its first half, but this is needed, u come to learn about the chars, both R;N and S;G can be described as slow watch however unlike R;N, S;G's 2nd half ramps up and once that ramp happens, u better buckle up for heartfelt emotions u may not have thought u'd exp with the cast of chars of S;G becus that train ride ain't stopping till the end of the series and it really makes the show all the more impactful due to the story and whats happening. The game is the same as the anime. Now Zero's anime isn't the same as the game becus it combines both routes into a single route while making some changes, some were bad, some good, but it cut out a crap ton from the Zero game and wasn't as good as the game, sadly. Both S;G and S;G0 are FAR from generic or boring for both the anime and games. Mean while the Not Zero game of S;G only really cut out one important story bit, not counting the multiple dif endings ofc as the anime only told the true route and its ending. Mean while I hear R;N's game is dif from the anime but, and based on a review I read on this site, is boring and a slow read that by the time u get to the new content, u've lost interest. (Though that review mighta been for the sequel, I forget) Either way at least for the anime of R;N, its a generic anime, story and chars are nothing special and the immense disappointment I felt from having watched C;H and S;G animes back then (B4 I played the SS;G game) when i went into R;N expecting something just as great and grand as the other two, only to be let down by a generic and boring story with no special chars was immense. Am not trying to dis R;N or the chars btw, am just telling it ike it is, a generic story with no special chars and it can't even be compared to how great S;G's story is, or even C;H's story which isn't even as good as S;G's story I'll add.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, 2012... Well, it had Robotics:Notes, a series near the top of my list for most hated shows, which I ended up rage-quitting about 3 episodes from the end. It had From the New World, which I think is stunning and powerful and I never want to watch it again. I do highly recommend it, but it's a hard watch. There was the second half of Hiiro no Kakera, and its nonsensical tale of the Takoyaki Princess and her bishounen retinue. It really lends itself to MST3K-style commentary, so watch with friends.

I very much like looking at K, though I can't follow its storyline or sort its color-coded characters to save my life, and I'm ever baffled by GoHands' use of smooth, easy-listening radio jazz to back their frenzied action sequences.

Finally, a shout-out to Ixion Saga DT! Stupid, silly send-up of isekei and shounen tropes, as well as other genres, and just lots of fun if you take none of it seriously.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll also simulpubs the Space Brothers manga, in the US at least, so you can continue past the end of the anime.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched every cursed minute of Eureka Seven AO, deluding myself into thinking "oh it'll pick up and get good now, right? RIGHT?" and it just never came. In the grand scheme of things, E7 is probably not one of the greatest anime of all time, but it's definitely one of my personal faves and this article is right, everything since the final episode just gets worse and worse. I just fear that in 2025 they might try to do some sort of 20th anniversary thing (since reboots are so ubiquitous in all culture these days, including anime) and people just love their big round numbers.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
^^Oh, don't spread that idea around or I'll curse you! Just a bad enough idea for someone to say "hey, a 20th anniversary revisit is a guaranteed hit, right?" Mad
whatev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
I don't usually consider myself to have unusual tastes in anime overall, but I did not find From the New World to be very compelling. It may be a bit unfair, but from what I watched, it seemed like its core was a pretty obvious thought experiment to me. What if everyone had access to the equivalent of a nuclear weapon? Society is going to be screwed up, no doubt about that. The mystery of the exact nature of the screwiness was not enough to get me to keep watching.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In 2022, Crunchyroll continues to slowly chug ahead with its English dub of the TV show, with… the recently completed Fishman Island arc! Hey, we're only ten years behind, we're practically catching up!

The dub is currently on Whole Cake Island, which is being released digitally and should be done by the end of the year, leaving only Wano (the current arc in the anime) left. For whatever reason, Crunchyroll hasn't brought over the rest of the dub during any of their stealth Funimation drops.

Though the above quote actually does apply to the Toonami TV airings of the dub, which only just recently started Punk Hazard.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
Other than the mentioned Girls und Panzer and Chuunibyou anime, I really enjoyed Hidamari Sketch Honeycomb in Fall 2012. Also Teekyuu I'm pretty sure started around that time which was one of the first shorts I watched... extremely zany sports comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3