• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Anime's English Dub Debuts in N. America on November 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Is this going to be a batch of episodes or just one
Good question, I'm actually curious if there is a dub of the entire show or just what they got up to before the whole SAG thing. I mean you would think it was mostly dubbed and they are currently finishing it off, but something about the way it is being released makes it seem like they are just off loading an uncompleted dub to whomever will have it.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Good question, I'm actually curious if there is a dub of the entire show or just what they got up to before the whole SAG thing. I mean you would think it was mostly dubbed and they are currently finishing it off, but something about the way it is being released makes it seem like they are just off loading an uncompleted dub to whomever will have it.

never understood the SAG issue since it was dubbed in Canada,where they have nothing to do with stuff recorded there(and in fact,some LA actors with Canadian citizenship freely work in Canadian productions like Tara Strong)
Philville

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This shows dub has been streaming on some pretty weird places.

Since the streaming release plan of this show seems to be pretty opaque, it probably helps to know about the uphill battle The Adventure of Dai series is facing for its Western release (for reasons that baffle me). I thought I'd quote @Cain Highwind from the thread which initially reported about the English dub ("NEWS: Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Anime Gets English Dub"), since they offer an excellent overview of the issue (sorry for cross-posting, but that thread is now obsolete):

Cain Highwind wrote:

I think Dai just got dealt a bad hand and had a lot of stuff going against it.

-Toei keeping the show to themselves rather than license it to Funimation or Viz. This resulted in very little fanfare or attention for Western anime fans.

-No dub window or Western release plans

-Outside a couple of social media posts a week for each episode, they was practically no promotion for the series. I think outside episode drop notices from Crunchyroll, I think I saw ONE post for it on Twitter and it was when they were facing a huge backlash for the whole Mob Psycho 100 English dub fiasco.

-Dropped by Hulu in the middle of airing

-Dragon Quest is already fairly niche here but with the little fanfare/promotion there was probably a lot presumptions and misconceptions about the series like requiring knowledge/experience of the games, not knowing it's a Shonen Jump manga, thinking there's no appeal outside Japan.

-The above leading to it failing ANN's arbitrary voting rule denying even more possible exposure. A real unfortunate Catch 22. I think more reviews and discussion from ANN could've rectified the above problem but it just ensured its obscurity.

I think there was some good word of mouth by the end of the series and I think getting a dub out there will really help especially if they can get it on something like Toonami.

It sounds like there never was much of a coherent release strategy by Toei and I do wonder how they're going to make 100 episodes available to the widest audience possible if episodes are being released on platforms no one has heard of. As I initially wrote in my response to this post:

“I don't understand why DQ is still niche in the West considering that DQ11 sold well globally (over 5 million units if I recall) and that DQ12 is on the horizon. Not to mention that, as you point out, Dai no Daibouken is a Shonen Jump title and that there's an Akira Toriyama connection through the character design of the games. You'd expect Toei/Shueisha to market the hell out of the franchise in the West. Or do they really not care given the popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan?”

Maybe someone here has the answer.
brainrotter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:28 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

never understood the SAG issue since it was dubbed in Canada,where they have nothing to do with stuff recorded there(and in fact,some LA actors with Canadian citizenship freely work in Canadian productions like Tara Strong)

The Canadian union (ACTRA) works closely with SAG on this kinda stuff
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It should be pointed out the same thing happened with Digimon Adventure 2020 where Hulu just aired the first 50 episodes and stopped after that. All I can guess is either Toei only allowed a limited amount of episodes to air on Hulu for whatever reason or whoever is in charge of licensing Toei anime only ordered a set number of episodes and not the whole show but it isn't just Dragon Quest where this has happened.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1589723202615652355

First 50 episodes for now, 25 more than what's on BBC right now.

Curious if this includes the recap.that aired after 37.
Philville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
It should be pointed out the same thing happened with Digimon Adventure 2020 where Hulu just aired the first 50 episodes and stopped after that. All I can guess is either Toei only allowed a limited amount of episodes to air on Hulu for whatever reason or whoever is in charge of licensing Toei anime only ordered a set number of episodes and not the whole show

Interesting -- but it's precisely the "reason" for this that I don't get. If you know that a series is going to have significantly more than 50 episodes (which a streaming service may not always know, to be fair) why only license a limited number of episodes? Is the streaming service waiting to see how well it does? Is Toei capping the number of episodes to be in a position to bargain with other services?

NJ_ wrote:
https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1589723202615652355

First 50 episodes for now, 25 more than what's on BBC right now.

Curious if this includes the recap.that aired after 37.

That teaser video has just reminded me how downright epic Yuki Hayash's OST in this series is. At its best, the music rivals some of Sugiyama's iconic compositions.

Last edited by Philville on Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

Interesting -- but it's precisely the "reason" for this that I don't get. If you know that a series is going to have significantly more than 50 episodes (which a streaming service may not always know, to be fair) why only license a limited number of episodes? Is the streaming service waiting to see how well it does? Is Toei capping the number of episodes to be in a position to bargain with other services?

I assume either Hulu doesn't know there's more episodes or maybe Toei has episodes 51 and beyond as part of a separate licensing deal and Hulu isn't invested in enough to buy the rest or they might think episodes 51 and beyond are like a "second series" they don't think they need to get. Netflix also does the same thing with Pokemon where they only have the first 50 episodes of the Kanto arc and I'm not sure they're aware there's more than that for Kanto.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I assume either Hulu doesn't know there's more episodes or maybe Toei has episodes 51 and beyond as part of a separate licensing deal and Hulu isn't invested in enough to buy the rest or they might think episodes 51 and beyond are like a "second series" they don't think they need to get. Netflix also does the same thing with Pokemon where they only have the first 50 episodes of the Kanto arc and I'm not sure they're aware there's more than that for Kanto.

I suppose that must be it. I still find it hard to believe that they aren't aware of the existence of the remaining episodes, and I think that licensing negotiations play a significant part in these decisions, but who knows. At the end of the day it's subscribers that inevitably feel shortchanged.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

I suppose that must be it. I still find it hard to believe that they aren't aware of the existence of the remaining episodes, and I think that licensing negotiations play a significant part in these decisions, but who knows. At the end of the day it's subscribers that inevitably feel shortchanged.
I'm sure part of it is down to how do the Japanese licensors categorize their shows and a lack of communication with the streaming apps about it. Like with Digimon Adventure 2020, Toei probably lists like the first 50 episodes as "season one" and the remaining episodes are "season two" and they probably didn't communicate with Hulu that these are all one show and they need the rest to be complete. Of course it's also possible Toei only wants a sample of these shows on Hulu to direct people to go to Crunchyroll or the digital stores to get the rest.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cardcaptor Takato"]
Philville wrote:

Digimon Adventure 2020, Toei probably lists like the first 50 episodes as "season one" and the remaining episodes are "season two" and they probably didn't communicate with Hulu that these are all one show and they need the rest to be complete. Of course it's also possible Toei only wants a sample of these shows on Hulu to direct people to go to Crunchyroll or the digital stores to get the rest.

I find that lack of communication baffling, although I guess it also depends on the streaming service and whether or not they have a dedicated animation department. Slightly off-topic, but since you're clearly knowledgeable about it, would you recommend Digimon Adventure 2020? I haven't watched Digimon since the 1999 anime, which I was watching around the same time as the Pokémon original series, and I'm starting to feel nostalgic (yes, I'm old). It seems like a pretty big committment, but then again I just finished watching 100 episodes of The Adventure of Dai and don't feel like I wasted a minute.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but since you're clearly knowledgeable about it, would you recommend Digimon Adventure 2020? I haven't watched Digimon since the 1999 anime, which I was watching around the same time as the Pokémon original series, and I'm starting to feel nostalgic (yes, I'm old). It seems like a pretty big committment, but then again I just finished watching 100 episodes of The Adventure of Dai and don't feel like I wasted a minute.
Not unless you're a diehard fan. It starts off good and it has some entertaining moments but it also loses it's way about halfway through and becomes more of a standard action show at the expense of the character writing and it ends up feeling like a redudant reboot. If you want to see better examples of modern Digimon, Xros Wars and Digimon Universe Appli Monsters are both subbed on Crunchyroll and are worth checking out and Ghost Game has been all right. If you have Hulu, the fan favorite season and my personal favorite, Digimon Tamers, is streaming dubbed on Hulu. If you have the chance to see it, I also really enjoy Data Squad though the old dub DVD boxset is OOP now and it's not streaming anywhere.
Philville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Not unless you're a diehard fan. It starts off good and it has some entertaining moments but it also loses it's way about halfway through and becomes more of a standard action show at the expense of the character writing and it ends up feeling like a redudant reboot. If you want to see better examples of modern Digimon...

Thanks! I appreciate the honest opinion. I'll probably still check it out for nostalgia's sake, and also because I'm interested in seeing what a modern Digimon production looks like, but I probably won't commit to 67 episodes. I'll definitely check out Digimon Tamers though, since I was aware of it back in the day and was reminded of it last year after the "cancel culture" conspiracy theory controversy surrounding Chiaki Konaka. It's good to know that it became a fan favorite over the years and that it can be streamed at the moment. I suppose it was never remastered in HD?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate the honest opinion. I'll probably still check it out for nostalgia's sake, and also because I'm interested in seeing what a modern Digimon production looks like, but I probably won't commit to 67 episodes. I'll definitely check out Digimon Tamers though, since I was aware of it back in the day and was reminded of it last year after the "cancel culture" conspiracy theory controversy surrounding Chiaki Konaka. It's good to know that it became a fan favorite over the years and that it can be streamed at the moment. I suppose it was never remastered in HD?
If you still plan to check it out, it might be best to wait for the dub as Studiopolis is producing a dub of Digimon Adventure 2020 with a brand new English voice cast. But at the rate they're taking to dub it I won't expect it till next year. I imagine it will probably be like Dragon Quest and they release the dub in chunks. Tamers got an upscale BD release in Japan but I don't know how the quality is. Discotek is just about to release their HD remaster of the original Digimon Adventure on BD with a sub coming soon so most likely if that release is successful they'll probably eventually do the other seasons too. The Digimon streams on Hulu are based on the previous DVD remaster by Cinedigm that came out a couple of years ago.
Philville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If you still plan to check it out, it might be best to wait for the dub as Studiopolis is producing a dub of Digimon Adventure 2020 with a brand new English voice cast. But at the rate they're taking to dub it I won't expect it till next year. I imagine it will probably be like Dragon Quest and they release the dub in chunks.

I'm not in a rush, so I don't mind waiting for this actually. I watched Dragon Quest with subs, which is what I generally prefer when watching a new show, but I enjoy watching old Digimon and Pokémon dubbed because of how I remember first experiencing them, and for some reason that extends to the reboot of Digimon Adventure (although there's no logical reason for this).

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Discotek is just about to release their HD remaster of the original Digimon Adventure on BD with a sub coming soon so most likely if that release is successful they'll probably eventually do the other seasons too.

Now we're talking! It's a good time to be feeling nostalgic, it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3