• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Supporters Project Posts Toshio Okada's Criticisms of Production Committee System

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:54 am Reply with quote
Toshio Okada should not be blaming the production committee system for the poor pay animators in Japan get. He should be blaming the real culprits: the animators. Animators refuse to band together and collectively tell the anime industry that they won't work until they get paid properly. Therefore their exploitation will continue. Okay, sure, perhaps by complaining about poor wages, some improvement might eventually be made voluntarily by the money people but... good luck with that.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Toshio Okada should not be blaming the production committee system for the poor pay animators in Japan get. He should be blaming the real culprits: the animators. Animators refuse to band together and collectively tell the anime industry that they won't work until they get paid properly. Therefore their exploitation will continue. Okay, sure, perhaps by complaining about poor wages, some improvement might eventually be made voluntarily by the money people but... good luck with that.

Absolutely. I've stated this before - one or two animators making a fuss will get one or two animators better pay. Progress will be interminably slow and uneven, and in time the noise makers will find themselves getting fewer opportunities and pushed out of the industry altogether. That's harder to do if animators en masse are making the same forceful push. at the end of the day, outsiders making a stink is going to only have so much effect on anything at all.

As to the structural aspect, the theory that fewer projects will equate to better all around wages is hopeful thinking. What's more likely to happen is that it will get funneled into a few pockets at the top and that's it. You MAY get some "better quality" of productions, but that's not exactly likely. You will likely also see some decrease in the size of that labor force, as there simply isn't going to be the need for as many animators if you sizably cut the amount of works in production. The push for more productions has the chance at increasing wages from a pure demand standpoint - the best out there offered bigger checks to entice work on project A over project B - but that is not entirely guaranteed either, given the nuances of the market. It does make for a more complex answer than I think many want to admit.
hiro-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
The idea is sound it's just that they picked the wrong things to back. What I wish they would do is fund anime that was successful in the West but were never finished and have no real shot of getting finished by Japanese companies. An example would be Soul Eater. I'm sure everyone has a series or ten that they wish would get a rebooted with little hope of it actually happening.

When was the last time CR made an original? I think they got the message after the backlash to those initial projects and focus on anime now. I heard they did that with Shield Hero but I don't know if it's true.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Interesting tidbit on the control of the funding process. Seems American companies shouldn't be buying into an existing production committees, but rather create their own.

Ridiculous comment. Crunchyroll tried to make their own cartoons like High Guardian Spice, Onyx Equinox. No. One. Liked. Them.

Probably, but that doesn't disprove what I said, merely that Crunchyroll made bad choices.

Mainly my comments were meant about control of the process, not the end product. According to the article, the biggest investor controls the budget and controls what the other investors put in. Not to mention, the controlling interest can divert money to other projects.

If US companies are the controlling faction, they control the show's budget, and how everyone gets paid (which is what everyone is complaining about). I am not saying the US companies would wear a halo and pay everyone what they deserve, but at least they would have the authority to do so.

As to what comes out of US companies making anime. If you are going to invest in Japanese anime, then make Japanese style anime, not American anime (not talking about cartoons). If you are just going to make American anime, then you don't need the Japanese.

Exactly, they need to stop using the money on glorified Tumblr/Twitter projects, this is one reason why High Guardian Spice was hated from the beginning. They got to start making anime for a Japanese audience, America has good action titles and still can make them today; which means that is their option as America is not good at romances these days and hasn't been since the mid 2000's (I can't see them even making a romance anime that holds a candle to even a simple masterpiece like Otonari no Tenshi-sama) and far too soft for fanservice.
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
hiro-chan wrote:

When was the last time CR made an original?

Assuming Original with capital O, it's Shenmue, according to Wikipedia.

The web page for Crunchyroll Originals, https://www.crunchyroll.com/originals/en/index.html, redirects to the main page now, so it appears they've mothballed the branding.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Absolutely. I've stated this before - one or two animators making a fuss will get one or two animators better pay. Progress will be interminably slow and uneven, and in time the noise makers will find themselves getting fewer opportunities and pushed out of the industry altogether. That's harder to do if animators en masse are making the same forceful push. at the end of the day, outsiders making a stink is going to only have so much effect on anything at all.

As to the structural aspect, the theory that fewer projects will equate to better all around wages is hopeful thinking.

Exactly so. There is no correlation between the production committee system and the criminal underpayment of animation workers. The problem is that from the dawn of the anime industry, producers make their money by keeping budgets as low as humanly possible. How do you do that? Simple. Just don't pay the people actually doing the work properly. I hate to sound like I'm blaming the victim here, but sadly nothing will ever change for animation workers unless they collectively band together and force the money people to cough up more yen. The money people aren't going to start paying fairly out of the goodness of their... "hearts." It will take pressure and lots of it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I hate to sound like I'm blaming the victim here

Clearly not enough to stop doing it though.

Blood- wrote:

There is no correlation between the production committee system and the criminal underpayment of animation workers. The problem is that from the dawn of the anime industry, producers make their money by keeping budgets as low as humanly possible. How do you do that? Simple. Just don't pay the people actually doing the work properly.

Which they could do if they took the money that was pouring into making more productions into the people doing the work. That's the correlation. It's obvious as hell. More money than ever is going into the industry and none of it is making it to where it should be because of the production committees making sure it doesn't. But no, it's clearly the fault of the exploited and there's no correlation anywhere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:55 pm Reply with quote
@ ATastySub - Animators being underpayed isn't a new issue. It predates the influx of more recent foreign investment. It's not like animators being underpayed was some kind of inelastic budgetary issue. "Gosh, we'd love to pay you more but there just isn't the cash to do it. So sorry." It was because that's how the industry was set up. Producers saw that animators would accept low pay to do the work they love doing. That meant more cash in their pocket (because they didn't have to pay fair market value for the work being done). So more money flowing into the system isn't going mean better pay for animators.... unless the animators start demanding it. It's the mindset of the money people and the willingness of animators to go along with that mindset that is the cause of low pay.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This is the equivalent of saying that if a child suffers abuse from their parents, the one that should be punished is the child for not preventing the issue instead of the actual parents for doing the abuse. Flawless logic you have there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Blood- wrote:

This is the equivalent of saying that if a child suffers abuse from their parents, the one that should be punished is the child for not preventing the issue instead of the actual parents for doing the abuse. Flawless logic you have there.

No, it's not. Your analogy makes no sense. Animators are not powerless like children. They are not helpless like children. They actually have the power to change their situation if they ever decide to use it. It's called collective bargaining and workers all over the world have used to mitigate their exploitation.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
They actually have the power to change their situation if they ever decide to use it. It's called collective bargaining and workers all over the world have used to mitigate their exploitation.

You make it sound so easy.

Who is going to lead them?
Who is going to make them all 'buy in"?
Who are going to be the sacrifices, when everyone doesn't buy in?
Who is going to put food and rent on the table?

Saying its been done before, ignores the complex histories of how unions formed and evolved. Some animators will be sacrificed on the altar of unionization. It is not as simple, as saying everyone just has to get together, you actually have to get everyone, or most, together. Not a simple task, since their real world needs also have to be met.

Not saying you are wrong on what needs to be done, just that we shouldn't blame the animators, as it is not just that simple.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I am not blaming the animators. And I agree that for them to act collectively is no easy task. I just don’t see what the alternative is. I don’t see how pay improves unless they band together and demand it.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am not blaming the animators.

Blood- wrote:
Toshio Okada should not be blaming the production committee system for the poor pay animators in Japan get. He should be blaming the real culprits: the animators.

Errrrrm.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes I was being a bit cheeky with my first post. My more serious position is that I wish animation workers would band together in a way that leads to them being paid better.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Blood- wrote:
They actually have the power to change their situation if they ever decide to use it. It's called collective bargaining and workers all over the world have used to mitigate their exploitation.

You make it sound so easy.

Who is going to lead them?
Who is going to make them all 'buy in"?
Who are going to be the sacrifices, when everyone doesn't buy in?
Who is going to put food and rent on the table?

Saying its been done before, ignores the complex histories of how unions formed and evolved. Some animators will be sacrificed on the altar of unionization. It is not as simple, as saying everyone just has to get together, you actually have to get everyone, or most, together. Not a simple task, since their real world needs also have to be met.

Not saying you are wrong on what needs to be done, just that we shouldn't blame the animators, as it is not just that simple.

But I feel like this is far too much like a lack of agency on the part of the animators. Yes, it was very hard, is very hard, for unions to establish themselves. But it can be done. And even if a union, per se, is not the end goal, cooperative pressure to force change is entirely plausible and possible. Who leads, who puts it all together? They figure it out, like every labor movement in history. But what is the alternative? Sit on their hands and wait for all these companies to just decide that giving out money while cutting potential residual revenue streams is in their interest, which it clearly isn't?

The fact of the matter is, short of forcing legislative determination of pay rate - which, again, is not going to happen if the animators themselves don't move to force it to happen - or legislating away the committee system, there is absolutely 0 that is going to push any committee to cede its power or abandon its pursuit of larger revenue. Companies, little different from individuals, are not going to voluntarily take a cut in their paycheck unless they can see it leading to some tangible benefit.

You say don't blame the animators, but I feel like there is too much coddling of them too. They can push for change, hard as it may be, but there is little evidence of that happening. One or two folks taking shots from afar at disparate parts of the system is not at all effective or going to lead to meaningful results. It's frustrating in that they clearly need to do something, and will quietly bemoan the situation, but won't stand up for themselves. Others opining on idyllic outcomes from afar without actual concrete action from those actually on the ground living it isn't going to do anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3