• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Not Require Masks, Proof of Vaccination at 2023 Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
psipsy wrote:
They probably decided on this after seeing the lack of enforcement at Katsucon.

I think this is really the interesting dynamic about this announcement. There were at least a few cons with masking mandate but basically no enforcement in the past couple years. This is becoming more a public health issue than a recommendation of what's good for individuals.

Dropping the vaccination mandate probably made sense, but it's definitely tone deaf and too soon.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:

Because it's annoying and an inconvenience.

Having people who know they’re sick going into a public place and infecting people with what they have is annoying and inconvenient to say nothing of potentially deadly.

But you’re griping about masks?

monsieurb1982 wrote:
It's how people act when you use force against them. The mask became a symbol of submission for them. For the vaccine, young people don't take it anymore. There are even people who used to take other vaccines that stopped taking any vaccine, COVID or not. If at least they used recommendation instead of using the force, that would probably be more different today.

They used force because you had irresponsible people refusing to get the vaccine once it was introduced or wear masks even with both being recommended. In the process getting themselves infected with the virus and or infecting others.

Not to mention the whole nontroversy over mandates was made all the more stupid by the fact that certain entities like public schools and even the military has had mandates for years requiring those who enroll or enlist to be inoculated against certain diseases. But with Covid people wanted to act brand new for no reason beyond stubborn stupidity for the most part.

Like you would think given the black plague, and influenza pandemic which killed millions of people, modern society would know enough to not take stupid risks with viruses and diseases but nope you got diseases like Polio & Measles coming back into circulation along with the odd death or near death from stuff like tetanus because of grown adults who should know better being idiots and dragging others including their own kids down with them.

monsieurb1982 wrote:
Sad but true.

You theory ignores the fact that the anti science/anti vax movement had already existed for decades prior Covid so you still would’ve had holdouts. The stupidity over the vaccine and mask mandates would’ve been mostly avoided had you not had rich people wanting to make easy money over people’s lives, ignorant entitled people being selfish & reckless, and so called medical professionals either demonstrating they were out of their depth or giving bad advice for clout and money think Doctor Oz or Stella Immanuel.
costmuffled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice. I haven't been attending Otakon since the mask craze hit. Sounds like I might finally be able to make it this year.
tasukete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
costmuffled wrote:
Oh, nice. I haven't been attending Otakon since the mask craze hit. Sounds like I might finally be able to make it this year.

"Mask craze" is an unfounded insult. Cite legitimate sources or retract, thanks.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I still wear the mask every day.
nathangsm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:52 am Reply with quote
Enforcing a vaccination requirement should be easy, you have to submit proof when you buy your badge. And not just the primary series, they should require a booster, too. It's simply basic. Nobody should be allowed to attend mass public events who isn't up-to-date on their pandemic vaccinations, period. End of conversation.

As for masks, cloth facial coverings are not masks. Surgical masks and procedural masks are not acceptable, either. N95s, KN95s, KF94s, i.e., are the basic standard. Quality and inexpensive respirator masks have been easily available since late 2020, there is absolutely no excuse to be wearing anything less. OVER the nose, with a proper fit.

As for mask enforcement? Try walking around the convention without a shirt. Or pants. They'll enforce that REAL quick. Not wearing a mask should be the same. Enforcement is easy. Not enforcing mask compliance is a choice.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:13 am Reply with quote
The world has moved on from COVID, even though it is still around. Who knows when the next viral emergence comes about.

Nobody is requiring masks or proof of vaccination anymore.

If masks and proof of vaccinations are not required at sporting events or concerts, I see no reason for anime conventions to require them. It is not fair or reasonable to single out anime conventions for this, when hardly anyone else cares about it.

I am full vaccinated with two boosters. I wear masks on airplanes and crowded areas. Take your own risk assessments and protect yourself as you see fit. The rest of the world doesn't care anymore. Even the six foot physical separation thing is a thing of the past.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:15 am Reply with quote
We literally just had a Japanese singer have to ask her fans to please take a shower before going to her concert yet weebs are convinced anime conventions are the healthiest risk free places in the world now Rolling Eyes
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
We literally just had a Japanese singer have to ask her fans to please take a shower before going to her concert yet weebs are convinced anime conventions are the healthiest risk free places in the world now Rolling Eyes

I would like to 2nd that con goers.. please do your part in the effort to stop con funk.. Take a shower, we will be here all weekend.

Con Funk.. a much more pressing topic then masks.. just sayin.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I am full vaccinated with two boosters. I wear masks on airplanes and crowded areas. Take your own risk assessments and protect yourself as you see fit. The rest of the world doesn't care anymore.

I wouldn’t say the rest of the world doesn’t care anymore especially when you still have the odd outbreak and people still insisting that the vaccines and masks are useless and shame anyone for getting the former and wearing the latter.

Only good thing is that Ivermectin sales have thankfully dropped off.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I am full vaccinated with two boosters. I wear masks on airplanes and crowded areas. Take your own risk assessments and protect yourself as you see fit. The rest of the world doesn't care anymore.

I wouldn’t say the rest of the world doesn’t care anymore especially when you still have the odd outbreak and people still insisting that the vaccines and masks are useless and shame anyone for getting the former and wearing the latter.

Only good thing is that Ivermectin sales have thankfully dropped off.

My main point is that I find it strange that we are singling out anime conventions, when other bigger and crowded events, (like concerts and sporting events) don't require masks or proof of vaccines.

Yeah, there will always be a low level of concern for new viral outbreaks, but for the most part the world doesn't really care anymore. There are no mask mandates and you no longerly need your proof of vaccinations anymore. And even if you put some separation between you and the person in front of you, there will still be someone standing directly behind you with no separation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

My main point is that I find it strange that we are singling out anime conventions, when other bigger and crowded events, (like concerts and sporting events) don't require masks or proof of vaccines.
Pretty sure most people supporting masks at cons also think there should be masks at concerts and sporting events.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Pretty sure most people supporting masks at cons also think there should be masks at concerts and sporting events.

Yeah, would assume the same. It would certainly be hypocritical (/incoherent?) if someone wanted stringent protocols (including masks) at one densely crowded event but not another (unless, say, they had good reason to believe case rates would be much lower in the attendees of one event than the other, or the population would be much younger, healthier, and less likely to mix with at-risk populations afterwards, at one event than the other, or some such, but that's more nuanced than these conversations usually seem to get), but I doubt that's a very common take.

Maybe there's less public conversation about whether masks should be present in large sporting events etc, but that's probably just a difference in who does/doesn't attend or take interest in them, and in where conversations about their health protocols are held. i.e., the ANN forums reach a very different slice of the world population than, uh.. , an American sports bar, or the the comment threads on ESPN.com articles (really, ah, stretching here, trying to pretend I have any idea where people discuss traditional sports Laughing )?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:03 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Yeah, would assume the same. It would certainly be hypocritical (/incoherent?) if someone wanted stringent protocols (including masks) at one densely crowded event but not another (unless, say, they had good reason to believe case rates would be much lower in the attendees of one event than the other, or the population would be much younger, healthier, and less likely to mix with at-risk populations afterwards, at one event than the other, or some such, but that's more nuanced than these conversations usually seem to get), but I doubt that's a very common take.
I haven't even been back to the movie theaters in like three years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2