• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aichi Governor Vows Crackdown on Lewd Selfies by Ghibli Park Visitors

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lily70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:03 am Reply with quote
Blazi wrote:
What a stupid thing to be mad over. They are just statues.

I think everybody knows they are just statues and not real people. But sexual assault is a very common not taking seriously in Japan. So this is only another incident that you’re sending the message that sexual assault is “no big deal “hence why people especially woman are against it.

If you slap the statue, do you think the negative feedback will be as severe? Probably not.

Not to mention, the park is considered a family friendly area. A lot of their parents probably don’t want her children being exposed to anything sexually related
Blazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
Lily70 wrote:
Blazi wrote:

I think everybody knows they are just statues and not real people. But sexual assault is a very common not taking seriously in Japan. So this is only another incident that you’re sending the message that sexual assault is “no big deal “hence why people especially woman are against it.

If you slap the statue, do you think the negative feedback will be as severe? Probably not.

Not to mention, the park is considered a family friendly area. A lot of their parents probably don’t want her children being exposed to anything sexually related
You see the problem is that the statues are in the spotlight here, which doesn't fix anything. In fact it makes it a laughing matter. If you want things to change than crack down on actual assault, not statues.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
Blazi wrote:
Lily70 wrote:
Blazi wrote:

You see the problem is that the statues are in the spotlight here, which doesn't fix anything. In fact it makes it a laughing matter. If you want things to change than crack down on actual assault, not statues.

Agreed, but this is an easy ''win'' to achieve even if it does nothing to make things better.
Blazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:39 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Blazi wrote:
Lily70 wrote:
Blazi wrote:

Agreed, but this is an easy ''win'' to achieve even if it does nothing to make things better.

Fair point, though there needs to be a shift in direction.
onpufan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Lily70 wrote:
I think everybody knows those just statue and not real people. But the fact that sexual assault in many instances, it’s not taken as seriously in Japan send a message that this is this is no big deal even if it’s on a statue.

There are many men who gropes woman on trains, or takes upskirt photos, and most of the time or not taken seriously. So this is only another instance of it’s no big deal, even if it’s on a statue.

I mean it is serious enough that our phones in Japan now have a loud shutter on it so you can hear when a photo is being taken. Is this not an induction of how common and serious
Sexual assault is?

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. Japan saw there was an issue with cellphones being used maliciously so they passed a requirement that aimed to fix that. They also made women only train cars to combat chikan. That sounds like the exact opposite of not taking it seriously. It sounds as if you're punishing Japan for actually addressing the issue rather than other countries where they pretend it doesn't exist or they value things like freedom over safety which is why they can't impede on people's phones or implement women's only spaces. Do you think people don't creepshot in America or something? The only difference is there's no measures being put into place to prevent it.

One just needs to look at the actual statistics to showcase that Japan has combated these issues far better than western countries have. No country is perfect, but those who complain about Japan's treatment of the issue would no doubt be horrified if they saw what it's like in other countries like America or the UK. It's like saying since no one wears masks in America anymore, covid must be beaten and it's safe, compared to Japan who is still wearing masks so it must be a much deadlier issue there.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:48 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. Japan saw there was an issue with cellphones being used maliciously so they passed a requirement that aimed to fix that. They also made women only train cars to combat chikan. That sounds like the exact opposite of not taking it seriously. It sounds as if you're punishing Japan for actually addressing the issue rather than other countries where they pretend it doesn't exist or they value things like freedom over safety which is why they can't impede on people's phones or implement women's only spaces. Do you think people don't creepshot in America or something? The only difference is there's no measures being put into place to prevent it.

One just needs to look at the actual statistics to showcase that Japan has combated these issues far better than western countries have. No country is perfect, but those who complain about Japan's treatment of the issue would no doubt be horrified if they saw what it's like in other countries like America or the UK. It's like saying since no one wears masks in America anymore, covid must be beaten and it's safe, compared to Japan who is still wearing masks so it must be a much deadlier issue there.

I think the women's only spaces discussion is a double-edged sword. Yes, it's good that there are places where women can feel safe, but it wouldn't be necessary to begin with if there was more of an attitude shift towards keeping one's hands to themselves. And the reason why sexual assault statistics are low in Japan is because not a lot of people report them.

But in regards to the statue discussion, Studio Ghibli is marketed as family-friendly so I'm not surprised people were upset with this, because most of Ghibli fans are not anime otaku who are big into fan service.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:22 am Reply with quote
Betcha many of the perps are police officers! Laughing

(It's a running joke in Japan)
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:22 am Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
If the actual creators don't care, I don't see why anyone else should, but Twitter is going to complain about everything at the end of the day. The most charitable reading I can give this governor's response is something like Uchay's take in that it's just a performative boilerplate response to appease the tourism bureau and he doesn't actually care about this.

Otherwise, these kinds of photos are nothing new. People have taken these kinds of photos with statues all the way from Ronald McDonald bench statues to Hindu Goddess statues in India. There's even famous statues like the one in Verona of Juliet Capulet where it's a tradition that groping her breasts is said to bring good luck and it is a common tourist attraction there. The character in question is 13 years old, for those who don't remember their Shakespeare.

And, funny enough, in Romeo and Juliet, her father asks Count Paris to wait another 2 year before marrying Juliet, who is 2 weeks shy of her 14th birthday when the play begins.

And in the English poem the play is based on, Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke, Juliet is approaching her 16th birthday, and Romeo is the same age.

In the Bandello novella, also based on the same poem, Juliet is nearly 18 and Romeo is about 20.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2