• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boruto Manga Goes on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Mushrinku wrote:
Fortunately I do not have to read or watch this garbage. and I do not. sadly though am I exposed to bits of information and manga panels every now and then because I'm in some manga/anime forums/communities that talk about it every now and then, so I can't fully avoid this joke of a series.

I'm simply here to hate on this garbage Cool

I'm getting deja vu...haven't we all been here before when part one of Boruto was announced to be ending?

If you have not read or watched Boruto, and have just seen (admittedly brief) snapshots with no context...how, pray tell, do you know it is garbage? Trash so bad that you are able to make broad sweeping generalizations about the series and author? If you went into it with an open mind...isn't it possible you may like it?

Furthermore, given that context, why do you bother? If no one is forcing you to care, why do you have so much venom for it? Wouldn't it be healthier to just move on with your life?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Wow. I don't recall Naruto ever going on extended hiatuses so this is a first.

the original manga had an extended hiatus in the trasition for the time skip,which was why the original anime went into filler hell before it became the Shippuden series
Shinuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The Viz translator is wrong, he probably got confused with the way V Jump is numbered, the manga it's returning on August, not September, the Manga Plus app also has the date on August 20

But anyway, some pretty dumb hate for the series still going on in the comments as expected from the bubble that is this place, you can clearly see these people don't even read the manga and are just hating on it because they still think is cool to do Laughing
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:10 pm Reply with quote
To all the people bashing people for expressing negative opinions about the series, why? Sure people who dislike the series can just leave and ignore it, but sequel series are a different matter entirely in my opinion. They have the legacy of the original to live up to, and will never be free from comparisons to the original. That's just the fact of the matter. Especially a series as massive and influential as Naruto. Personally speaking, I can't stand Boruto. It is an unnecessary, poorly conceived sequel to my favorite story of all time. A story that means a lot to myself and millions of people out there. This series purely exists to milk the Naruto franchise and there's absolutely nothing compelling or substantive going on here. This holds for sequels in general. Don't expect it to be free from criticism or hate.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:23 am Reply with quote
I think there is enough thematic and story craft going on in Boruto that calling it nothing but a "cash cow" is a bit reductive. But to each their own. I have no issue with you expressing a negative opinion about some random battle manga. But you seemed to have missed what was ACTUALLY going on here...

The people on this thread are not upset about people being negative towards Boruto. This is obvious from even a cursory glance at this thread. The issue I, and others have, is that there seem to be one or two people on this forum who bash Boruto because they HEARD it sucked. They haven't read it. They have not watched it. They are both simultaneously burning with rightous indignation at Boruto and an intense pride about their willful ignorance. They know enough to hate Boruto (with all their second, third, and fourth hand accounts/memes of the series), but they are seemingly unaware of how utterly bewildering and sadly pathetic they come across to those of us who have actually watched/read the show (to say nothing if said thoughts are positive or negative).

You seem like you dislike Boruto based on thoughts formed by engaging with the material. That's cool. Now you can debate with people who actually care/like Boruto enough to engage with you about it. People who hate it because they were told to by reddit are distractions and take away from people's ability to actually talk about the series in a robust way.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
I’ve had the long suspicion that Boruto is switching to a more seasonal format similar to MHA and many others. It just seems like the logical choice since weekly anime series like this aren’t really the norm as much these days. So I’m betting they’ll finish the manga and then make one final season of the anime with little or no filler.
Nayrael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:03 am Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:
To all the people bashing people for expressing negative opinions about the series, why?

Nobody is criticizing this guy for showcasing negative opinions. They are criticizing him for making negative opinions for something he doesn't read or write. In other words, he doesn't even have a negative opinion, he is a troll or is just spouting what others said thinking that it'll make him appear like a cool kid.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the series because it's a cash-in on nostalgia with fans. Kishimoto made a new series and it didn't work out, so he went back to Naruto by making a sequel because he knew that new and old fans would flock to it and it worked. DBS, Princess, etc., and the several remakes of old-time anime series lack any substance. There are exceptions, with some reboots of anime series expanding on lore and creating an entirely new experience after decades of having nothing. I read the series and I felt uncomfortable with the girls in the manga as well as the overall plot being a Naruto lite.
iamdestinygirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:50 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
So, how popular is boruto in general? I feel like it has done significantly worse than naruto but I could be completely wrong.
I can't believe the Boruto manga is on hiatus ..
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
I don't like the series because it's a cash-in on nostalgia with fans. Kishimoto made a new series and it didn't work out, so he went back to Naruto by making a sequel

That's not accurate. Boruto started three years before Kishimoto's new series, Samurai 8, began. Samurai 8's failure had nothing to do with the creation of Boruto.
ManOfMission

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
DBS, Princess, etc., and the several remakes of old-time anime series lack any substance.

They have plenty of substance. DBS sells millions upon millions, if it had nothing people wouldn't be going wild for wanting a continuation 5 years later. Generalizing is bad, and you're stating your opinion as if it was any fact, when it's exactly the opposite of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2