• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XVI Game Banned in Saudi Arabia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilers2007

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It always comes down to risk vs investment. Square-Enix censored Kingdom Hearts 3 for China (Winnie the Pooh) because that market is big and would be bad to not capitalize on. I don't know how big a market for FFXVI Saudi Arabia was but it's probably not worth the effort on their part to censor things. Especially if it'll require more than just painting over a cartoon bear and the whole game is full of religious and violence and sexual things.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
It always comes down to risk vs investment. Square-Enix censored Kingdom Hearts 3 for China (Winnie the Pooh) because that market is big and would be bad to not capitalize on. I don't know how big a market for FFXVI Saudi Arabia was but it's probably not worth the effort on their part to censor things. Especially if it'll require more than just painting over a cartoon bear and the whole game is full of religious and violence and sexual things.

Now SE has no excuse to just not sell a game in China when Xi comes a knocking for them to censor their game.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Now SE has no excuse to just not sell a game in China when Xi comes a knocking for them to censor their game.

Square-Enix has also censored their games for American and European markets too. I wonder how people would react to them just not releasing games in the west due to the need to censor it for our sensibilities and not wanting to. That's what Nintendo did with games like Captain Rainbow and Mother 3.
ViviP

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:10 am Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
Part of localization is understanding that sometimes things need to be changed to fit the new target audience or a different country's moral and cultural standards. It's a natural part of the process. At least that's what translators here say when people complain about changes made in English versions, but I'm assuming it applies to other countries as well.

Localisation for me, censorship for thee.

What strikes me as odd is how the article truncates the ESRB summary. All the descriptions of violence are reduced to one word points, whilst the description of sexual content is partially quoted giving it a much larger impact than it has when reading the ESRB summary.
Inserting such a selectively summarised piece of information between two other paragraphs which describe the harsh standards of Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Media seems to me, to be a deliberate attempt to lead readers into associating two seperate pieces of information together and drawing the ‘correct’ conclusions. Or at the very least fuelling the hatred of those who already have strong bias.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed and kind of feel like my (and everybody else’s) intelligence has been insulted, and I hope to see a higher standard in the future.

edit:
Unless I’m completely mistaken and there is some innocent reason for this editing decision, in which case I would really appreciate it if someone should take the time to explain it to me.

Last edited by ViviP on Sat May 06, 2023 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
drxx21

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:34 am Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:
I remember Ocarina of Time got in trouble for using an Islamic symbol and hymm in the game back in the day.

in an early version of OoT, the chanting in the Temple of Fire is actually the Islamic testimony of faith, this was removed in later revisions.

CAPCOM did the same thing with Steet Fighter V when the Thailand temple stage (M. Bison stage from SF II) was released and they quickly removed it and released an apology.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:
Square-Enix has also censored their games for American and European markets too. I wonder how people would react to them just not releasing games in the west due to the need to censor it for our sensibilities and not wanting to.

Considering this has been a thing on and off since the days of the original NES it wouldn’t be that big a deal.

https://gamerant.com/square-enix-ps2-games-never-left-japan/#front-mission-online

https://www.thegamer.com/square-enix-final-fantasy-games-japan-exclusives/#before-crisis-final-fantasy-vii

CrimeVsCrime wrote:
That's what Nintendo did with games like Captain Rainbow and Mother 3.

Captain Rainbow bombed even in Japan so you can potentially imagine what would’ve happened had the game been brought west. The Mother games meanwhile have a shaky presence in the west the original game was slated for a U.S. release but wound up cancelled (though it eventually came out 25 years later) whereas the 2nd game came stateside but apparently didn’t sell terribly well. There’s also the fact that the GBA ports of Mother 1+2 was never released outside of Japan.

As for why exactly both games never came stateside as far as anyone knows it had zero to do with the content in either game.
webbingupcheetor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
As for why exactly both games never came stateside as far as anyone knows it had zero to do with the content in either game.

Content is the only realistic reason we never got Mother 3 at this point. We saw with Operation Rainfall that Nintendo is not afraid to take a chance with lesser known RPGs if there's enough demand. for them, and Mother 3 has always had a lot more demand than either the original Xenoblade or The Last Story did at the time. We've also seen Nintendo release long lost games like Star Fox 2 and Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1) with no real issue. And to add insult to injury, they have zero problems putting up fully Japanese games on the American Nintendo Switch Online without a care if they're readable or not by the average English speaking player. There's really no other explanation why Mother 3 isn't released here at this point, even if it's just a untranslated rom on NSO in the most lazy release possible to shut people up finally. If they never released Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings on NSO then we could maybe theorize it's a rights issue with Shigesato Itoi, but the fact it's only 3 really points to no other reason than the content in that game compared to the others.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
What strikes me as odd is how the article truncates the ESRB summary. All the descriptions of violence are reduced to one word points, whilst the description of sexual content is partially quoted giving it a much larger impact than it has when reading the ESRB summary.
Inserting such a selectively summarised piece of information between two other paragraphs which describe the harsh standards of Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Media seems to me, to be a deliberate attempt to lead readers into associating two seperate pieces of information together and drawing the ‘correct’ conclusions. Or at the very least fuelling the hatred of those who already have strong bias.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed and kind of feel like my (and everybody else’s) intelligence has been insulted, and I hope to see a higher standard in the future.

edit:
Unless I’m completely mistaken and there is some innocent reason for this editing decision, in which case I would really appreciate it if someone should take the time to explain it to me.

There's been no official statement on what content caused this ban, people are just speculating. But one random no-name gaming website is being cited by a lot of people on social media that it's because of an "intimate gay sex scene". The website itself does not list any source at all beyond the standard 'anonymous leaker' attribution so take it with a huge grain of salt. I've also heard other "leaks" say it's a straight sex scene. And others still that this 'intimate gay sex scene' is a scene of one guy getting caught in a brothel with another man and it's played off as a joke. And then the people who aren't focusing on the sex part of the theory is saying it's about the general violence or offensive religious themes and depictions of Middle Eastern culture. We won't know what the real reason is until we get more info on the game or it releases.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:29 pm Reply with quote
webbingupcheetor wrote:
There's really no other explanation why Mother 3 isn't released here at this point

You don't really have to think too deeply about this. It was a text-heavy game in a very niche series that came out for the GBA a year and a half after the DS had already been on the market. Earthbound only sold about 140k copies in the USA despite a heavy marketing campaign. Not localizing Mother 3 is a very simple business decision: it would not have made as much money as it would've cost to translate. That's still true 17 years later.
ViviP

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
There's been no official statement on what content caused this ban, people are just speculating. But one random no-name gaming website is being cited by a lot of people on social media that it's because of an "intimate gay sex scene". The website itself does not list any source at all beyond the standard 'anonymous leaker' attribution so take it with a huge grain of salt. I've also heard other "leaks" say it's a straight sex scene. And others still that this 'intimate gay sex scene' is a scene of one guy getting caught in a brothel with another man and it's played off as a joke. And then the people who aren't focusing on the sex part of the theory is saying it's about the general violence or offensive religious themes and depictions of Middle Eastern culture. We won't know what the real reason is until we get more info on the game or it releases.

People have the right to speculate, no matter how ridiculous some of it may be (anonymous leaks lol). News articles do not have the right the speculate or make implications.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
webbingupcheetor wrote:
Content is the only realistic reason we never got Mother 3 at this point.

We never got the 3DS version of DragonQuest XI eventhough the 3DS was still on store shelves when it came out. And back in the day Capcom never brought Gyakuten Kenji 2 stateside which to this day is the only game in the Gyakuten series that’s never been localized a distinction it shared with Dai Gyakuten Saiban which managed to get localized after many years. Neither of those games had any problematic content that stopped them from getting localized. The likely reason is lack of popularity/weak sales of their preceding title.

As I mentioned Mother 2 when it was released here did not sell all that well so it would stand to reason that after the 2nd game failed Nintendo never looked at the possibility of localizing Mother 3 along with the other circumstances Vanadise mentioned.

webbingupcheetor wrote:
We saw with Operation Rainfall that Nintendo is not afraid to take a chance with lesser known RPGs if there's enough demand.

Far world of difference in taking a chance on something new and proven and taking another chance on something that was a proven flop. The three games in operation Rainfall had success in their home market which gave them the opportunity to be looked at for releases outside of Japan. Mother 3 which was the sequel to a game that Nintendo had already brought stateside years earlier and as mentioned sold poorly didn’t get that opportunity because of the 2nd game’s failure.

Not to mention it is funny when you look at how Xenoblade Chronicles became this major series of renown while Last Story & Pandora’s Tower are largely forgotten.

webbingupcheetor wrote:
and Mother 3 has always had a lot more demand than either the original Xenoblade or The Last Story did at the time.

Mother 3 had the advantage of most of the people clamoring for an official release having played the game via emulation with some lucky enough to be able to play the original cartridge. Word of mouth though can only do so much.

webbingupcheetor wrote:
We've also seen Nintendo release long lost games like Star Fox 2 and Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1) with no real issue.

Aside from the fact that originally Earthbound Beginnings was only playable if you had a WiiU which not everyone did. And unless I’m wrong there’s no way to play the Switch version unless you have a Nintendo Online Subscription. Whereas Starfox 2 was only playable initially if you had the SNES Classic Edition which was frequently sold out though eventually it released on again on NSO.

And as it’s been oft mentioned Nintendo (& Sony as well) have this thing where they’ll shut down services after awhile so if there’s a game that can only be obtained (legally) on said service or worse you bought the game on said service you can’t redownload the game on succeeding hardware among other issues.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I bet that an adult gay man kisses another on the cheek while parting. Something a US kid's cartoon could show for half a decade in a daytime slot and for longer in the EU.

Anyway, based SE and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD had an M-rating. These mean nothing. It´s called Rated M for Money for a reason. The EU ratings will be more interesting. FF VII and XV got a 16. The M means nothing if the Pegi rating isn´t an 18. That one is still pending. Skyrim is an M and so is the updated rating of Oblivion (mostly due to the assasin´s guild). The content there compared to The Witcher is night and day.

Forgot: Stranger of Paradise is also an M. Lol. I think we all forgot that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:08 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I bet that an adult gay man kisses another on the cheek while parting. Something a US kid's cartoon could show for half a decade in a daytime slot and for longer in the EU.

Anyway, based SE and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD had an M-rating. These mean nothing. It´s called Rated M for Money for a reason. The EU ratings will be more interesting. FF VII and XV got a 16. The M means nothing if the Pegi rating isn´t an 18. That one is still pending. Skyrim is an M and so is the updated rating of Oblivion (mostly due to the assasin´s guild). The content there compared to The Witcher is night and day.

Forgot: Stranger of Paradise is also an M. Lol. I think we all forgot that one.

Have you seen the blood in the trailers?
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

It depends on the content. Persona 3 got an M rating in America while it's CERO B in Japan, aka for ages 12+. Whether it was the satanic demons or the evoker guns the kids shoot themselves with, apparently Americans felt it was too adult for a T for Teen rating.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I want to hear from each and every single one of y'all who was talking like MBS was going to save anime and video games from the woke mob.

Can some context be provided here? I haven't the foggiest idea what is being referenced but the idea of a country with an authoritarian regime with a population of 36 million and no influence beyond petrol having any impact in global media seems both strange and fascinating. Yes, they are an investor but not exclusively or even disproportionately in Japanese media and not even to the extent that a lot of other countries are, such as China until very recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3