• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Screens U.S. Premieres for New Rurouni Kenshin Anime, Rascal Does Not Dream of a Si

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ItsThatBriGuy wrote:
This is actually the second film for the franchise but, as far as I know, the first (Rascal Does Not Dream Of A Dreaming Girl) remains unavailable for streaming in NA or for Region 1 home distribution.

Right Stuf sells the Aniplex Blu-ray release, at least. I don't think there's a DVD release, though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's really interesting, although also a bit frustrating -- I'm not sure I like the franchise so much that I want to chase down and buy a Blu-Ray / DVD. Shocked
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:33 am Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
Live-action will never be able to compete with animation

That's entirely your take, not a factual truth.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think a lot of us will voluntarily choose not to consume it (me included), but it has seemed pretty clear for a while it will remain at the level of a discourse between consumers.

Personally, I won't be viewing it. My bridges are burnt with Watsuki and the Kenshin series at this point. However, I don't expect this to have a big effect on the success of the show. The majority of casual anime fans will be unaware of its creator's crimes, and at least a good portion of those who are aware will watch it regardless due to it being an important series for them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree; I think "a lot" of people will abstain, but I mean 'a lot' in absolute numbers, not in percentage terms. I expect it will be a commercial success, maybe even a massive one, mostly depending on quality of the production/writing, and on advertising.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Oh, that's really interesting, although also a bit frustrating -- I'm not sure I like the franchise so much that I want to chase down and buy a Blu-Ray / DVD. Shocked

If you don’t mind reading, you could just pick up the Light Novels instead. The first season adapts the first 5, the first movie Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl adapts the next two volumes, and the new movie will adapt volumes 8 and 9.

But if you can find the movie, I highly recommend watching it, it absolutely destroyed me and had me asking why I didn’t get into the series when I could’ve seen the movie in theaters here in NY back in like October of 2019. Took me until the pandemic to fall into the Bunny Girl Senpai rabbit hole (pun intended). Probably the name convinced me it was just another harem series and I was not interested in that kind of stuff. Then Aniplex did their online con during the pandemic when they played the first episodes of a bunch of their anime as filler, and I liked enough of what I saw to look up the rest of the episodes and then the movie, and they hooked me like they meant to; where I spend a bunch on merch and the LNs and everything now.

My flight leaves LA on Monday night at like 10, so I’m probably gonna have to duck out early of the movie to make sure I get to LAX on time, but I’m def catching this if possible.

Also, Kenshin was the first manga I fully collected when I was in college back in the mid 2000s, so it holds a special place in my heart even with Watsuki’s baggage. I’m able to disassociate creators from their creations for the most part (though for some like Rowling it’s harder than others), so I’m still interested in this, but am unsurprised at the amount of fulmination in the replies to the Aniplex tweet announcing this. Tired of it ofc, and knowing that the JP side will likely not care one way or the other unless it gets severely review bombed and their bottom line hurt, which I believe is unlikely. Also, hope this doesn’t blow back on Rieri being there for the panel, because she’s so damn nice of a seiyuu I’d hate to see her get any flack for being associated with this project as I know some people will tar her with.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Also, Kenshin was the first manga I fully collected when I was in college back in the mid 2000s, so it holds a special place in my heart even with Watsuki’s baggage. I’m able to disassociate creators from their creations for the most part (though for some like Rowling it’s harder than others), so I’m still interested in this, but am unsurprised at the amount of fulmination in the replies to the Aniplex tweet announcing this. Tired of it ofc, but frankly unsurprised, and knowing that the JP side will likely not care one way or the other unless it gets severely review bombed and their bottom line hurt, which I believe is unlikely. Also, hope this doesn’t blow back on Rieri being there for the panel, because she’s so damn nice of a seiyuu I’d hate to see her get any flack for being associated with this project as I know some people will tar her with.

I recall people did go after the voice actors in Hogwarts Legacy and demanded they're explain themselves for accepting the role and demanded apologies for working on the game to begin with. Although it still went on to break records and sell incredibly well regardless. There is a game of guilt-by-association that goes on when it comes to these kinds of things. I've seen some people go after Eiichiro Oda for being friends and supporting Watuski still as well. I wonder if people also boycott One Piece as well or just how far the association extends.

But I think people overblow backlash when it comes to this kind of thing. Most people genuinely do not care or concern themselves about actors and writers personal lives or beliefs. There's Hollywood actors who have done far worse than Watsuki and continue to find work and fans. It's just not something the average person concerns themselves with. It's especially different when it comes to the Japanese side when the blowback is mostly from westerners.

We've seen cases like the production staff for Shield Hero comment that none of the 'controversy' of the show existed in Japan and it was only a western issue in their eyes. There was also a few news sites and game journalists that constantly tried to bring up Sugiyama's political views when it comes to Dragon Quest, but it was clear with how much publicity and endorsement he was getting from everyone in both the west and Japan like the Olympics and other game creators that it wasn't a big deal to most people and they were fine with him.

I think the main takeaway should be people always seem louder on the internet. I wouldn't take Twitter people dog-piling on an announcement tweet to mean anything substantial, especially if they're all in English. That kind of thing happens all the time and mangaka deal with it constantly. Kenshin is most assuredly going to do well regardless of how some people may feel about it or the creator. But it is up to each individual, I ultimately feel.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
If you don’t mind reading, you could just pick up the Light Novels instead. The first season adapts the first 5, the first movie Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl adapts the next two volumes, and the new movie will adapt volumes 8 and 9.

I never used to read manga or LNs, but as part of learning Japanese have begun to try doing so, so that might actually be a reasonable option. Thanks!

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Also, Kenshin was the first manga I fully collected when I was in college back in the mid 2000s, so it holds a special place in my heart even with Watsuki’s baggage.

I mostly have very fond memories of watching it obsessively when I was younger, and getting very, very into the Kyoto arc; it's definitely a property I've got a lot of strong nostalgia for still. I wish I could watch the new series without regret, but, well.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
There was also a few news sites and game journalists that constantly tried to bring up Sugiyama's political views when it comes to Dragon Quest, but it was clear with how much publicity and endorsement he was getting from everyone in both the west and Japan like the Olympics and other game creators that it wasn't a big deal to most people and they were fine with him.

The irony in raising the point of game music at the 2020-21 Olympics opening ceremony is why those tracks were used at all. The ceremony's original composer Keigo Oyamada resigned only four days earlier, after interviews in Japanese magazines resurfaced about his personal past.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-07-19/ghost-in-the-shell-arise-composer-cornelius-resigns-from-olympics-after-youth-bullying-resurfaces/.175313

The Olympics organizers had to scramble to reorchestrate the entire ceremony in just days — hence a loop of 19 game music tracks for the Parade of Nations. Their choices were limited because several companies pulled or curtailed their involvement due to widespread criticism of the Olympic organizers before the games. (Note that Nintendo, Pokémon, and other game franchises were not in the final ceremony, despite being initially in the promotion before the games started.)

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-07-23/tokyo-olympics-rings-in-parade-of-nations-with-japanese-game-tunes/.175493
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Tokyo-2020-Olympics/Japan-Inc.-Olympic-sponsors-shy-away-from-Games
https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-was-supposed-to-be-involved-in-olympic-opening-ceremony-report-claims

It was less an issue of acceptability and more an issue of sheer last-minute expediency.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2