• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Anticipated Anime of Summer 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:42 am Reply with quote
I guess Jujutsu Kaisen especially for Gojo's younger days. I have mixed feelings about Mushoku Tensei considering I am afraid of the tone they will give certain controversial themes that will happen. I mean, the anime did justice to Rudeus' meeting with his father but the maid and "treasure" seem to forever be trapped in comedy about the MC's perverted nature.

Other series are Bungo Stray Dogs but just by watching the trailer I notice the show's tendency to avoid killing anybody despite being a seinen while they keep exploiting the formula of Atsushi and Akutagawa for any boss in the season (Dead Apple included). There is Kenshin too which attracts me due to the different art director and the handling of Kenshin's acrobatics. Then again, the anime adaptation of Blade of the Immortal left me concerned about the animation due to Liden using only frames in some early fights.

The one I hope ends well done too is Nier Automata especially because of how amazing was the last route from the game and how the team behind 86 is working on it
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So whats going on with jjk and prequel? It's just really weird that after a prequel film you get a prequel S2, like they just ran out of idea almost right out the gate. It's a shonen, "some guy that stronger than the last guy show up" on a loop isn't hard.

JJK 0 was a short series written before JJK and that was later re-worked into being an actual prequel to JJK, while the arc that will be adapted now is what immediately happens after the event of S1. It's not just repeating the same thing.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So whats going on with jjk and prequel? It's just really weird that after a prequel film you get a prequel S2, like they just ran out of idea almost right out the gate. It's a shonen, "some guy that stronger than the last guy show up" on a loop isn't hard.

That's actually just a consequence of how the original series was published and how they ended up adapting it. JJK0 was originally its own limited series called "Tokyo Metropolitan Curse Technical School", which was published in 4 chapters back in 2017. When the series was turned into a full serialization, the author decided to revamp things by bringing in Yuji and the Sukuna plot, as sort of a soft reboot. It was only later that the mini-series was retitled to "Jujutsu Kaisen 0" to more directly connect it to the rest of the series.Obviously the anime couldn't start with 3-4 episodes of Yuta's story and then suddenly shift to Yuji, so they adapted it as a film, since there's stuff in that story that becomes pertinent later on.

Meanwhile the flashback arc just kinda ended up as the opening part of this new season since the first season stopped right before it.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch the MyGO anime because it's Bang Dream (even though generally with that franchise, the game does a better job of telling stories than the anime), but beyond that, there is NOTHING from this summer season that seems to appeal to my personal tastes. Mostly, these next few months, I'll probably just be catching up on shows I missed from this spring season, or maybe rewatching some old favorites.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The next arc just happens to be a past arc; it's not very long and isn't going to be most of S2(we're also getting the longest arc of the series, or at least part of it). The trailer and advertising is obviously going to showcase what's coming first. Saying they've run out of ideas based on only a trailer or without reading the manga is silly.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Murderface (I know the official name is murder farce but that must be a mistake) could be fun, dunno how episodic it'll be.

The manga's a bit episodic (not sure about the source novels), but the sheer amount of crazy keeps it feeling interesting, especially if you like literary/historical mashups a la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. (And it builds from the earliest plot points, so it gets progressively more bizarre, or at least the manga does.)
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Most anticipated - Mushoku Tensei Season 2 (been reading the manga and looking forward to the school arc)
Runner-up - Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero (one crazy brass manga, should be fun)
Rednal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:36 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Reincarnated as a vending machine obviously would make an awesome isekai parody... which is why its going to play straight, we can't have things. Is it going to go the slime anime route and just straight up have him just turn into a regular human almost right away?

Having read the novels, spoiler[nope, he actually stays a vending machine].
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to:

Ōoku: The Inner Chambers,
Ayaka,
Masamune-kun's Revenge R,
The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses,
My Happy Marriage,
Undead Murder Farce,
Jujutsu Kaisen S2,
Reign Of The Seven Spellblades,
Dark Gathering.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Among sequels, Mushoku Tensei 2 is easily my most-anticipated, especially if its production values hold up to what we saw in the first series. More TONIKAWA is also welcome (even if it's only 4 episodes!). Will watch the returns of Bleach (even though it's no longer a high-priority view) and The Devil is a Part-Timer! (curious to see what novels it actually adapts) as well.

Among new series, I am also intrigued by Undead Murder Farce, but am probably most looking forward to Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon, which I think could surprise some people. Saint Cecelia and Pastor Lawrence also sounds like it could have potential as more low-key tale. I expect a few others to catch my interest during their debuts as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Heavily looking forward to:
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead

Mildly looking forward to:
Helck
Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence
TenPuru
The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses
The Masterful Cat Is Depressed Again Today

Summer is my least favourite season, wrt to Anime. There's usually not much that appeals to me.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Undead Girl Murder Farce. I ain't doin' with that localized title, no sir.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Other than continuing series and returning series, the only series I'm planning to watch (and not just considering) are Ryza (though I may stop that since I still need to finish the game), Am I Actually the Strongest and My Unique Skill as I've enjoyed the manga for both of those. Vending Machine is also on the list since it just seems so odd lol

Continuing series:
Eden's Zero
Blue Orchestra
Sacrificial Princess
Nier
Misfit Demon King

Returning Series:
Mushuku Tensei
Masamune (though I want to re-watch the first season first since it's been so long and there were some OVAs that might also be required)
JJK
Bleach
Duke of Death
Devil is Part Timer

Phew, with all that not sure I'll be able to fit anything else (or even keep up with all that really), but regardless, this looks to be another packed season (already added a few to "considering" from this article). Bring on the previews!

Quote:
And not just because I keep misreading its title as "Undead Girl Murderface" and thinking of Dethklok's bassist from Metalocalypse.

Lol, I wasn't thinking of Metalocalypse (though I am now...), but I definitely missread that the same way at least once.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
My most anticipated is easily Mushoku Tensei season 2 because the first season is fantastic.

The second cour of Spy Classroom is my runner up because I still believe it could be a good show. In terms of new IP's The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen and Undead Girl Murder Farce intrigue me the most.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I find the lack of anticipation for Mushoku Tensei S2 among the ANN staff curious and not surprised at the number of commentators here which are anticipating as I am. While I understand people being interested in (anticipating) new shows more than "old" ones, I always temper expectations because of the number of shows that came from good material that do not adapt well. Mushoku Tensei is to me a "known good" show so there is no reason not to anticipate it.

On the same note, Sugar Apple Fairy Tale S2 is "known good" and I am really anticipating it because of the ending Ms. Silverman mentioned. Can't wait for both these...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3