• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Not The Best Of Pals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I've played about 30 hours of Palworld so far. It's really fun, but then I also really liked ARK back in the day so ARK but with cute monsters and a better art style and more single-player focused is right up my ally. It's got a lot more QOL features over ARK, especially as a single player game. Beat the first two bosses so far. I haven't played it online yet though. I might see if some friends want to make a dedicated server some time.

Quote:
When asked about his creative vision, Pocket Pair's CEO responded, "I don't have a creative vision. I just want to make a game people like."

That's actually really nice to hear. I feel like a lot of modern game designers have lost sight of this. We really don't need any more Hideo Kojimas or Neil Druckmanns who hold themselves as the saviors of a medium who are redefining what it means to be a video game which always seems to mean making them more like Hollywood movies and TV shows. Just focusing on making fun games is something a lot of modern studios and creator have forgotten. So I can't deny it's been satisfying seeing so many AAA studios and devs eating crow the past few days. Shout out to the Larian Studios CEO who dropped an entire think piece on why subscription services like Game Pass are bad for developers and games the day before Palworld dropped and went on to sell 8 million on Steam alone while on Gamepass.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
Shout out to the Larian Studios CEO who dropped an entire think piece on why subscription services like Game Pass are bad for developers and games the day before Palworld dropped and went on to sell 8 million on Steam alone while on Gamepass.

Meanwhile, the Gamepass version of Palworld is the worst version because it's several updates behind the Steam version. Doesn't even have community server access, and I'm still waiting on Microsoft to refund me for that version of the game.

It's not like Larian spent years meticulously crafting Baldur's Gate 3, creating last year's GOTY or anything like that. Laughing
lapisipal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
GAME FREAK's genuine craft in the Pokémon games means nothing to people who stick to surface-level "Lol, look at the framerate and draw distance!" complaints

I'm not interested in Palworld because I don't really like survival-crafting games (and I don't really want to shoot Pokemon with guns). But saying the visual/performance issues in Scarlet and Violet are "surface-level" is pretty disingenuous. Imagine saying about people who were disappointed with Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4. Sometimes visual/performance issues can be bad enough that they ruin an otherwise good game. I bought Violet on day one and desperately wanted to enjoy it. Gameplay-wise it seemed to have everything I wanted in a Pokemon game. But the visual issues were so distracting; things appearing from twenty feet away, entire chunks of the landscape blinking out of existence when you cross certain locations, NPCs that look like stop motion characters when there's not even that much occuring on-screen... it's incredibly distracting, and in some cases it absolutely affects gameplay. The draw distance for wild Pokemon is incredibly low, so not only can you typically not see them unless you're pretty close, but if they leave that range they de-instance entirely and they're gone.

I think it's great if people are able to overlook these issues and still enjoy the game but it's incredibly difficult for me. I've tried three or four times to go back to it and give it another chance. To say the people upset about that maybe just "grew out of Pokemon" is absurd. I know a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of these games, but "running well/not looking like garbage" is absolutely not one of them. I adore Legends: Arceus, and Scarlet/Violet looked like they would be even better gameplay-wise, and I still think that's true. I just don't understand why some people are so dismissive when other people bring up how atrocious those games look/run. I don't think they're objectively bad games and I don't expect everyone else to feel the way I do, but the people who have issues with the visuals and performance are not overreacting.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
(and even then the series kind of became long in the tooth before then with the rather pointless remakes and spin offs

Given how old the first two PS2 games were. The first of which had a notoriously unliked English dub (which was the only dub you could play the game in because of the circumstances at the time). Whereas Ishin originally was never released outside of Japan I would mn’t call them pointless.

oilers2007 wrote:
It also doesn't help the target audience for the games now seems to be nothing more than pandering to streamers and their followers like Yong Yea and xQc and all the other people who were literally put in Isshin.

My dude the games are known for using models of real people including actors & professional wrestlers and 7 was blatantly inspired by DragonQuest one of the most beloved franchises in Japan but it only panders when it casts streamers in various roles?

oilers2007 wrote:
It was like Cyberpunk's gimmick of having streamers in it but even worse since the original version didn't have them. I kind miss when "Yakuza" was more niche and focused on what it wanted to do rather than mass market appeal.

Don’t know why since that niche appeal often meant as mentioned we didn’t get all the games 3 of which as of this writing we still don’t have. And if and when we did, it was long after Japan got them. I also believe that played a hand in the rather iffy change of the series’s title from “Like A Dragon” to “Yakuza”.

juaifan wrote:
That's actually really nice to hear. I feel like a lot of modern game designers have lost sight of this. We really don't need any more Hideo Kojimas or Neil Druckmanns who hold themselves as the saviors of a medium who are redefining what it means to be a video game which always seems to mean making them more like Hollywood movies and TV shows. Just focusing on making fun games is something a lot of modern studios and creator have forgotten.

I don’t think they’ve forgotten how to make fun games. The issue(s) tend to be games that are half baked usually because of a rushed development cycle or messed up development cycle, inconsistently written story & character writing if they’re story driven, poorly designed or implemented gameplay mechanics. All of which together or individually can make a game unfun to play depending on player preference.

Issues that the medium has had with it’s game numerous times in the preceding decades,

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to play Palworld, but I have been enjoying watching every member of Hololive play it these past few days. It seems like a really fun game. I did spoil myself a but by seeing some of the tower bosses and I really enjoy their designs but I feel like the game is transformative enough that my playthrough won't be the same.

I think the feud between Palworld and Pokemon is silly myself. More than one cute monster game can exist and there have been many monster collecting games for ages. And like people have said it's not "Pokemon with guns" so much as it's "Ark with cute monsters" I understand a lot of it probably comes down to fanboy wars and people have to defend their franchise from criticism but people could stand to tone it back a bit.

lapisipal wrote:
I think it's great if people are able to overlook these issues and still enjoy the game but it's incredibly difficult for me. I've tried three or four times to go back to it and give it another chance. To say the people upset about that maybe just "grew out of Pokemon" is absurd. I know a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of these games, but "running well/not looking like garbage" is absolutely not one of them. I adore Legends: Arceus, and Scarlet/Violet looked like they would be even better gameplay-wise, and I still think that's true. I just don't understand why some people are so dismissive when other people bring up how atrocious those games look/run. I don't think they're objectively bad games and I don't expect everyone else to feel the way I do, but the people who have issues with the visuals and performance are not overreacting.

I agree. I feel like it's hard to overlook the graphical issues when it's a core part of the gameplay. Pokemon will suddenly pop in while you're running and you'll trigger a battle since the draw distance is too close. Also it's more of a personal preference but I do not care for open world Pokemon much. I prefer specifically crafted worlds like the past games. I hate games that let you just fly/run past everything and are full of empty spaces. None of the towns or areas seem all that interesting or unique when I'm just crawling over every building on Koraidon compared to the old 2D games. Maybe I'm just a boomer though and it's what kids like these days.

And personally, even if we're talking about actual graphical issues and performance, I just find the art style to be ugly. The generic trainer NPCs are atrocious. It's hard to think this is the same franchise that gave us gems like Hex Maniac in the past. All the generic trainers just seemed, well, generic. And while some of the named trainers had nice designs in theory, the art direction of the game's engine certainly doesn't do them any favors.

I did enjoy the last hour of the game in Area Zero where the wild battle music was great, and the boss battle there was well presented and nice. I assume that was where all the Toby Fox magic went to. But everything leading up to it wasn't for me. The only character I really clicked with was Clavell/Clive.

Full Discloser: I've never played the DLC and probably never will because the main game turned me off so much. If it truly does fix the game and make it good then fair enough, but I'm not going to pay $35 USD to find out for myself.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:38 pm Reply with quote
lapisipal wrote:
To say the people upset about that maybe just "grew out of Pokemon" is absurd. I know a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of these games, but "running well/not looking like garbage" is absolutely not one of them.

Go back. Read what I wrote. I'm not ignoring the bad performance, I've called that stuff out before. But some folks don't really care if a game chugs or stutters or dips in framerate, and I'm one of them. It's very obvious the schedule imposed on game freak by TPC is not sustainable. But boiling everything Pokémon does do framerate and draw distance? Yeah, I ain't about that. If you do, fine, but I won't align with that line of thinking.
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:28 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
People aren't disappointed with modern Pokemon games because they're for kids, they're disappointed they're just mediocre..

Exactly. Being a "kids game" doesn't mean they should stop trying to challenge the player or push the envelope. Imagine not releasing a game like Mario 64 because it wasn't "child friendly" enough back in the day.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
faboo95 wrote:
oilers2007 wrote:
People aren't disappointed with modern Pokemon games because they're for kids, they're disappointed they're just mediocre..

Exactly. Being a "kids game" doesn't mean they should stop trying to challenge the player or push the envelope. Imagine not releasing a game like Mario 64 because it wasn't "child friendly" enough back in the day.

"This episode of Caillou is too simple, they need to make better television for children."
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I think a lot of folks who wring their hands about The State Of Pokémon™ would be better off just realizing that they outgrew Pokémon and stop making that GAME FREAK's fault.

Yup, another way I've seen it put is that a lot of people are going through a breakup with Pokemon and making it everyone else's problem. No guys, Palworld is not making Game Freak nervous, especially when the release calendar has bigger names coming out.

And of course I have to bring up the other big news story this week in that the thing we predicted would happen with the ActiBlizz buyout happened: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750543289227284649

I'm sure there will be a more comprehensive write up, so I'm just going to get to the point and say screw Satya Nadella, screw Matt Booty, and screw Phil Spencer and his overpriced working class cosplay. Despicable behavior that anyone could have seen coming.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:56 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Quote:
But I think a lot of folks who wring their hands about The State Of Pokémon™ would be better off just realizing that they outgrew Pokémon and stop making that GAME FREAK's fault.

Yup, another way I've seen it put is that a lot of people are going through a breakup with Pokemon and making it everyone else's problem. No guys, Palworld is not making Game Freak nervous, especially when the release calendar has bigger names coming out.

And of course I have to bring up the other big news story this week in that the thing we predicted would happen with the ActiBlizz buyout happened: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750543289227284649

I'm sure there will be a more comprehensive write up, so I'm just going to get to the point and say screw Satya Nadella, screw Matt Booty, and screw Phil Spencer and his overpriced working class cosplay. Despicable behavior that anyone could have seen coming.

I'm not sure what I couls add about the Acti-Blizz layoffs, I could cut and paste everything I've said about all the other layoffs and it still applies. It's like The Onion and the "Only Nation Where This Happens" template they use. Not that I don't care, it's infuriating. But you'll forgive a man for getting a little tired once every while. Crying or Very sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

I'm not sure what I couls add about the Acti-Blizz layoffs, I could cut and paste everything I've said about all the other layoffs and it still applies. It's like The Onion and the "Only Nation Where This Happens" template they use. Not that I don't care, it's infuriating. But you'll forgive a man for getting a little tired once every while. Crying or Very sad

No kidding. The Onion article I was thinking of was the Iraq War one, but as "This Merger Will Shrink the Industry, Consolidate Too Many Studios Under a Bloated Megacorp, and Cost Thousands of Jobs vs No it Won't." Yeah, very angry right now and I'm going to hang this over every MS' apologist's head. In the meantime, I have Pikmin 4 to play
King Chicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
No game could reach a peak of 2+ million players on Steam just thanks to pure spite. If the game is this successful, it's because people like it for what it is (not Pokemon but a survival game) and find it fun, which is reflected in the user reviews. Very weird to try and build a strawman out of people rightfully frustrated with GameFreak's embarassing laziness. The catastrophe that was Scarlet/Violet still was a massive success despite all its infinitely many problems, so not sure why anyone would take TPC's side and attack an indie game that managed to explode like this. Also to say Palworld runs "marginally better" than those games is utterly ridicolous, you can easily reach 60 fps on low end GPUs while S/V surpassing 20 fps was a miracle.

I suspect this is just going to be Hogwarts Legacy 2.0. No game people dislike will ever be successful on it's own merits ever again. There's always a conspiracy to rationalize why something they don't like is doing well and nothing is genuine anymore. The lines in the sand have already been drawn. I eagerly await the articles in a month of two from outlets about how Palworld has lost a fraction of it's current Steam users or how it has had zero "cultural impact" which always just means the writer's circle of friends on Twitter don't share memes and fanart of it to them.

FinalVentCard wrote:
"This episode of Caillou is too simple, they need to make better television for children."

I feel like this analogy would work better if kids shows like Batman the Animated Series didn't also exist and prove you can make shows for kids that are more than just 30 minute babysitting fodder for toddlers.
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Let's all be honest here, 80% of the people saying that Palworld is the "Pokémon killer" are going to buy the next Pokémon game on release day, and then probably complain it's not what they expected, as a cherry on the top Laughing

I have my issues with the newest Pokémon games and Gamefreak, for sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves---the reason people like Pokémon is not the same reason people like Palworld, cause other than collecting cute critters (several games have done that in the past decades, either as core features or minigames) they are nothing alike.

As for Palworld, I played it, didn't feel anything special. If I'm going to be honest, I'm definitively starting to feel the burnout on "open-world, survival" games these last two years, so maybe it's a "me" problem. Game isn't very polished even then, though, and and the 'cute creatures' part clashes too much with the realistic setting of the game, imo.

The creator's background doesn't inspire confidence that they will ever "finish" it, either. Most likely outcome is that they will try to rush out some updates at first, then slow down updates once player numbers inevitably decrease, as the game gets forgotten under the pile of new releases this year. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but devs who only chase the latest trends without passion don't really care for each of their projects other than making quick money and jumping ship into the next, popular thing.

In my opinion, Early Access is, 95% of the time, a trap, and an excuse for devs to release incomplete shovelware and receive a quick buck for it.

Dragon Quest Monsters is an excellent game and I'm happy it was referenced
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
To everyone complaining about the Pokemon series due to GameFreak being lazy you all need a reality check. The reason why Sword Shield, and Scarlet Violet have these performance and graphics issues isn’t because GameFreak is lazy, it’s because they only have 2 years to develop these games. Full development of Sword and Shield started in 2017 and the full game was released in 2019. The reason they removed Pokemon wasn’t due to laziness it was because they only had 2 years to develop the game.

The only other experience they had making Pokémon for the Switch was for the Pokemon Lets Go games and the development for that game started 1 year before Sword and Shield, in 2016, and were being developed at the same time. Also, Let’s Go only had the original 151 Pokemon and wasn’t a full 3d game it was still in the top-down perspective, and it’s much easier to make a 3d game if the game is still using the same exact top-down perspective of the games before the leap to 3D. Scarlet and Violet likely had the same issues with development as Sword and Shield and has several completely revamped gameplay systems and new stories, and is a completely open-world game, unlike Sword and Shield which was only partially open-world. That’s why Scarlet and Violet have such performance issues.

TLDR; the issues with the Pokemon games have nothing to do with GameFreak being “lazy” It has to do with the insanely short development time all of these games get, and if any of the people complaining about Pokemon these days actually did some freaking research and didn’t just parrot opinions from Youtube Grifters who make their entire career over complaining about the series due to GameFreak reusing the assets for Pokemon on the 3ds games, which again isn’t due to laziness but due to the need to create 40-100 new Pokemon every game and keep all of the old ones which is pretty hard to do with only 2-3 years for development, I might be more inclined to take your complaints seriously. Again Pokemon is not a perfect series and I have tons of complaints about the games since the jump to 3D, but acting like it’s laziness is just not true.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I do wish TemTem got some of this attention. Only because it feels closer to what Pokemon could be than Palworld does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6