• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Boston: Geneon Announces The Familiar of Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Knew it. Diamond blew them hard on this one. MariMite later this weekend guaranteed ^^

Why? There panel was this morning and its over and ZnT was their license announcement. How does that guarantee MariMite this weekend?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Knew it. Diamond blew them hard on this one. MariMite later this weekend guaranteed ^^

Why? There panel was this morning and its over and ZnT was their license announcement. How does that guarantee MariMite this weekend?

Some companies have more than one panel. I recall it happening elsewhere too, but don't quote me on that.

Anyways, Zero no Tsukaima is a great series. Any main character who kisses a princess he barely knows right on the lips is a main character worth liking.

Now.... (prepare for groans people).... if only the novels would be licensed.
Chiikaboom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
For fricks sake, what people liscence makes me want to cry.

What about Host Club? Honey and Clover? Nanoha? Kanon 2006? Air? What about the animes that DESERVE to get liscenced?!

I've never heard of "The Familiar of Zero" or "Innocent Venus" and they aren't even half as popular as the above shows.

ADV and Geneon have failed me.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Never fear, TEREK is near!

Chiikaboom wrote:

When they Cry...

Chiikaboom wrote:

What about Host Club?

Limbo.

Chiikaboom wrote:

Honey and Clover?

VIZ Media.

Chiikaboom wrote:

Nanoha?

Geneon.

Chiikaboom wrote:

Kanon 2006? Air?

Serious harem drama like that are too expensive to license and have too small an audience to be profitable; FUNimation took a stab with a (seemingly) cheap and short show called Rumbling Hearts, so if we hear massive sales for that title there might be some hope for those pieces.

Chiikaboom wrote:

What about the animes that DESERVE to get liscenced?!

Nanoha deserves to be licensed? Rolling Eyes

Chiikaboom wrote:

I've never heard of "The Familiar of Zero" or "Innocent Venus" and they aren't even half as popular as the above shows.

Zero no Tsukaima is a generic, poorly animated adaption of its novel counterpart - I'd agree, it's a title I'd never think to be licensed, given it basically only appeals to Shana and FSN fans (two titles Geneon owns, which sort of makes sense).

Chiikaboom wrote:

I can't believe how sympathetic I've grown toward ADV over the past year or so; at one point I considered Geneon one of the best anime companies around, but thus far they're the only group that angered me enough with their piss-poor and dilatory releases I actually returned what I bought from them.

In contrast, I've always ratted on ADV for weak dubs, and I still do, but since they've got to struggle against folks in Bandai + Geneon who have "corporate hereditary connections" and are entitled to certain shows, I'm always impressed whenever they announce something that was likely pretty competitive to aquire.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiikaboom wrote:

What about Host Club? Honey and Clover? Nanoha? Kanon 2006? Air? What about the animes that DESERVE to get liscenced?!

You know we still have Anime Expo and Otakon since that's where most of the big license announcements come from.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Some companies have more than one panel. I recall it happening elsewhere too, but don't quote me on that.

But Geneon only had one panel. ADV had something on Friday in which they showed a few of their upcoming releases, but as far as I can tell, everyone else had one panel. I think its safe to say we'll be getting info on MariMite at one of the other upcoming panels and I'm really hoping for Geneon to announce Nanoha soon, but the latter isn't anywhere near guaranteed and we won't be hearing about MariMite this weekend.

Malintex Terek wrote:

Zero no Tsukaima is a generic, poorly animated adaption of its novel counterpart - I'd agree, it's a title I'd never think to be licensed, given it basically only appeals to Shana and FSN fans (two titles Geneon owns, which sort of makes sense).

I can see how it might appeal to Shana fans, but I'm not seeing the link to the F/SN fanbase.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Like Zero, Negima is among the Harry Potter of anime. Actually, it's more like Harry meets Love Hina (both Negima and LH were created by Ken Akamatsu). Zero is yet another harem anime.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, classic whining about how "favorite show A, B, and C" are SOO much better then "Show Y", of which you never heard of. Mildly annoying, but it's good to see how mature people are.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Zero is yet another harem anime.

Yes, because if a show has more then one girl in it, it's automatically a "harem" anime Rolling Eyes

There's an OF in the name of the show for a reason, I'll let you figure it out. Wink
Rin Tohsaka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

I can see how it might appeal to Shana fans, but I'm not seeing the link to the F/SN fanbase.

I believe he's referring to the Akiba-kei type of otaku, the ones whose likes and dislikes tend to fall in line with Japanese fans' interests.

I'm pretty excited myself, though I wish Geneon would comment about Shana season 2. I guess I'll have to wait for AX, then. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2