• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toradora BD Box to Include All-New Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Taiga will be pregnant in the new episode. In the official game if you get a 100% complete on Taiga you can get Taiga pregnant.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting if NISA got their hands on this eventually. To be honestly, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Maybe not right away, but perhaps in a year or two down the line. I'm fairly certain Toradora! is one of their biggest sellers, and a Blu-Ray boxset would likely sell nicely for them as well, and for the DVD owners that want it, I can possibly see them doing a trade-in program to get a Blu-Ray/DVD combo so people don't have two separate sets, or release the Blu-Ray in a box wide enough to hold both the DVD box and the Blu-Ray contents.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
Before you guys completely write it off because it's an upscale, you should check out how it compares.

Here are some comparison shots:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110808_466237.html

http://cfile2.uf.tistory.com/original/191645414E4E44F00CD7FB

It actually looks pretty good.

Thanks for that. Whatever filtering technique they used does look very good, certainly better than straight bi/trilinear scaling.

But are those legitimately stills from the post-upscaled product, or stills run through upscaling process? One of these things is not like the other.
einhorn303 wrote:
Is it really that unlikely? They're doing BD with Katanagatari and Awakawa. Maybe we could get a US BD set with the OVA in 2-3 years to let the reverse-importation-fear window close.

Or hopefully, long enough to have pulled enough profit for a dubbed release.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Micro_Ice wrote:
Around $520 for the box set, that's INSANE, who would actually pay that?

Me?

You guys are always complaining about the price, and it's not such a big deal... not in Japan at least. The weird ones are the westerners, selling a full set of episodes for the production price of two or three. Luckily they aren't the ones creating the anime and they just sell cheap copies elsewhere, with changed colours, resolution, texts, editions, and a lo~ng etc. Due to all that, selling cheap and doing it cheap, they can get benefits. But I wonder, wouldn't it be better to offer high quality boxes, BDs/DVDs, photo-paper colour booklets, correct and consistent translations for 60-70$ for two~three episodes instead of 12/13/24~26/48~52 with trashy booklets/BDs/DVDs/etc for the same price?

I'll admit it, I'm an admirer of well done releases with excellent quality items, and I don't really mind paying 500+$ for a Box (after all, buying the individual releases is more expensive, at least 15~20% more than the Box's price), and I hate above all the trashy releases we mostly get in the west for 1/10th of the price, meaning 1/10th of the quality (well, not really, but the quality is heavily reduced).

Some will think as I do? Surely, as I know many. Some won't? Absolutely, as you two have clearly stated. What's clear is that they just tend to your needs, but not ours, so we (meaning me and those who think as I do) end up not buying western releases and importing Japan's.

you think anime fans in america are going go pay those insane prices? it's hard enough to get them to pay $30 for a full season of something because they are so used to downloading the show for free. japanese are weird about collecting stuff and will pay really high prices for the special editions. i was reading some will buy 10 copies of a game if they really love it. they will only open one to play and leave the rest sealed just to have them sit somewhere in their collection as backup I guess. they are just strange people about collecting stuff and will spend all their disposable income on their hobbies. americans aren't doing that. you are in the very very small minority.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Considering it is unlikely that NISA will be re-releasing this on BD it is a shame there are no subtitles.

Is it really that unlikely? They're doing BD with Katanagatari and Awakawa. Maybe we could get a US BD set with the OVA in 2-3 years to let the reverse-importation-fear window close.

The fact that this release has no subtitles leads me to think that they are leaving the door open to NIS down the road. and yeah, it will probably be a while.
lilly_938

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Or hopefully, long enough to have pulled enough profit for a dubbed release.
I would think of double-dipping if they released it in BD. I would DEFINITELY double-dip & pre-order if they release it in BD & dub!
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, most people actually don't like to spend beyond their means so that they can do more important things than watching anime like eating that week, or paying the bills. There's nothing wrong with being practical with money. If you can afford it, good for you, but understand that there are large numbers of people who can't or would rather buy 3 or 4 series of similar length for that much instead and get more for their money.

Truth! I wish I could spend the money on high quality releases. As it stands, I've gotta live and do other things besides collect anime, so I'll settle for my, according to Chronos02, "cheap" quality Western releases.

Long live the Proletariat!
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
not worth it. although i do love toradora.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The price is way too much for my opinion on the series, but the tech they're using is very impressive.

From their shots there didn't seem to be much of a difference between their SD upscale and some series that are actually made in HD.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Micro_Ice wrote:
Around $520 for the box set, that's INSANE, who would actually pay that?

Me?

You guys are always complaining about the price, and it's not such a big deal... not in Japan at least. The weird ones are the westerners, selling a full set of episodes for the production price of two or three. Luckily they aren't the ones creating the anime and they just sell cheap copies elsewhere, with changed colours, resolution, texts, editions, and a lo~ng etc. Due to all that, selling cheap and doing it cheap, they can get benefits. But I wonder, wouldn't it be better to offer high quality boxes, BDs/DVDs, photo-paper colour booklets, correct and consistent translations for 60-70$ for two~three episodes instead of 12/13/24~26/48~52 with trashy booklets/BDs/DVDs/etc for the same price?

I'll admit it, I'm an admirer of well done releases with excellent quality items, and I don't really mind paying 500+$ for a Box (after all, buying the individual releases is more expensive, at least 15~20% more than the Box's price), and I hate above all the trashy releases we mostly get in the west for 1/10th of the price, meaning 1/10th of the quality (well, not really, but the quality is heavily reduced).

Some will think as I do? Surely, as I know many. Some won't? Absolutely, as you two have clearly stated. What's clear is that they just tend to your needs, but not ours, so we (meaning me and those who think as I do) end up not buying western releases and importing Japan's.

Have you actually gotten any of NIS's releases? For Waganaria it was $50 for a sub only box that's at least as good or better than anything they got in Japan, and a great hardcover extras booklet. Funi does budget releases sure, but we can get good releases @ prices much better than what they're paying in Japan.

And hasn't the video quality issue been more or less debunked at this point? I mean with some releases I'd be inclined to agree (my Baccano DVDs from Funi are almost painful), but it's not an issue with most releases.

Heck, most of your post is about how you'd pay more for a box/extras when most people are concerned with the BDs/DVDs. Confuse.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
This thread is too much. People will find any way imaginable to explain away the insanely exorbitant pricing of sets like this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to post this message for a while and this thread seems like an appropriate place: I absolutely would not be able to afford Japanese prices, so I am thankful that we outside of Japan do have cheaper alternatives. However, as agog as I am at Japanese prices, I am incredibly grateful that there are Japanese otaku willing to pay them because they are the only reason that many of the anime series I love get made. Without that dedicated cadre willing to shell out the big bucks for niche titles, about the only thing that would get made would be Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto. Oh, and my thanks too, to the handful of anime collectors who import from Japan since your purchases "count" when it comes to decisions about what will get made.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've been meaning to post this message for a while and this thread seems like an appropriate place: I absolutely would not be able to afford Japanese prices, so I am thankful that we outside of Japan do have cheaper alternatives. However, as agog as I am at Japanese prices, I am incredibly grateful that there are Japanese otaku willing to pay them because they are the only reason that many of the anime series I love get made. Without that dedicated cadre willing to shell out the big bucks for niche titles, about the only thing that would get made would be Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto. Oh, and my thanks too, to the handful of anime collectors who import from Japan since your purchases "count" when it comes to decisions about what will get made.

The high-paying Japanese suckas, er, I mean, otaku pretty much subsidizes anime for the rest of us. Laughing

Otherwise, we would all have to share the burden more equitably, meaning higher prices for the rest of us. Right now it's not fair, and thank goodness for that. Laughing
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
ugh- why do they need to upscale this?
I thought the original was broadcast in widescreen 720?
or was that the network upscale
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
This thread is too much. People will find any way imaginable to explain away the insanely exorbitant pricing of sets like this.

This thread is too much. People will find any way imaginable to complain about prices no-one is actually expecting them to pay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3