• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mardock Scramble: The First Compression DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
The voice work sounds promising from both tongues. Being an inveterate heathen, I'm eager to hear what Hilary Haag sounds like as Rune Balot; I imagine that it'll be more Chloe than Sister Rosette Christopher or.... uh... Menchi.

This role is not really like anything Hilary has done before. Chloe was similarly soft-spoken but the performance tone was entirely different.

Quote:
I like Andy McAvin too and I expect that he'll play his part nearer to the Duc d'Broglie than Kenichi Kurokawa.

Nothing that I can think of that Andy McAvin has done before even remotely resembles this performance.

Quote:
CareyGrant wrote:
...why choose her to be your super cyborg?

...why would I use some physically and emotionally abused teen...

Why wouldn't you pick, say, someone who's already a highly trained, educated and motivated soldier?

The obvious guess is, to me, that a psychologically damaged adolescent prostitute is more readily appealing and dramatically compelling than a mentally stable professional soldier is apt to be. A cool-headed professional can be all of that, but damaged goods from a seedy back alley do it more directly and perhaps more deeply. The latter is probably also more readily sympathetic to audiences, who probably won't have lived lives very similar to either, but will find the personal and emotional vulnerability of the young prostitute more easily related to than the perhaps inhuman professionalism and discipline of the solider. There is also a certain dramatic value from the illogical and unexpected. Those are, of course, external motivations that the story'll have to rationalize. It'll be something to be in admired if it can do that well.

As a previous poster has suggested, this makes logical sense in the story. Dr. Easter was looking for an excuse to exercise the military tech he developed but was (apparently) never able to use much, and taking up a Mardock Scramble 09 case (i.e. life preservation using forbidden technology) was his only legal way to do that. When Balot's case also involved an opportunity to go after the October Corporation he sought to take down, and when she turned out to subconsciously be a tenacious survivor, it created a perfect storm of circumstances for him to rebuild her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

CareyGrant wrote:
...why choose her to be your super cyborg?

...why would I use some physically and emotionally abused teen...

Why wouldn't you pick, say, someone who's already a highly trained, educated and motivated soldier?

The obvious guess is, to me, that a psychologically damaged adolescent prostitute is more readily appealing and dramatically compelling than a mentally stable professional soldier is apt to be.

Because vulnerable adolescent prostitutes are hawt! Laughing
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As a previous poster has suggested, this makes logical sense in the story. Dr. Easter was looking for an excuse to exercise the military tech he developed but was (apparently) never able to use much, and taking up a Mardock Scramble 09 case (i.e. life preservation using forbidden technology) was his only legal way to do that. When Balot's case also involved an opportunity to go after the October Corporation he sought to take down, and when she turned out to subconsciously be a tenacious survivor, it created a perfect storm of circumstances for him to rebuild her.

Yup I was going to mention this as well.

CareyGrant wrote:
As a man-crush fan of Ghost in the Shell, I'm both surprised that I've not heard of this until now, and happy that some folks in Japan are still making anime for those of us who are less than enamored with the pandering moe revolution of empty, formulaic shows.

It definitely sounds like you will like this. And as mentioned in the first paragraph of the review even more so if you miss these kinds of gritty, graphic, intelligent works.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well now I am surprised at this, I honestly expected this title to be slammed in the review. I'm not sure it'll be my thing (mainly the art), but I can stand to check it out. It'll be nice to hear Andy McAvin, best "villain" voice ever, in a more fitting role than his last one in Canaan, and Haag is a selling point by herself IMO.

Now you guys have gone and made me want to see this so I can compare the performances of the English dubbers to their past works. So far there isn't a variety of perfomances mentioned; there's a lot of Hilary Haag besides Chrono Crusade & Excel Saga. Same with McAvin, he isn't always fated to voice "sub-human scum of the Earth" (Greenfield). But I digress Wink

I do have a question about this particular phrasing in the review:
Quote:
although the writing does also proscribe to the common cyberpunk penchant for requiring viewers to make assumptions based on the esoteric terminology being thrown around.
Is "proscribe" really the appropriate term here? Question

I had totally forgotten about this, so I didn't place my usual RightStuf preorder. If I order now, will they do their "trademark" get it to me before the release date trick? BTW RightStuf humorously says that the dvd is eligible for their manga sale.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Definitely looking into this now. This sounds right up my alley.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Rob Mungle's voice is irritating? I can't believe it. Jonny Yong Bosh? Sure. Vic Mignogna? Sure. But Rob Mungle, one of ADV's first VAs, voice of Pedro?! I can't believe it. Crying or Very sad

I am shocked--shocked--I tell you! Wink

On a semi-related topic, is there any news of a date for the next batch of Sentai's Golgo 13?
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Any idea how long it will take for the second one to come out on dvd after it finishes it's theater run?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Rob Mungle's voice is irritating? I can't believe it. Jonny Yong Bosh? Sure. Vic Mignogna? Sure. But Rob Mungle, one of ADV's first VAs, voice of Pedro?! I can't believe it. Crying or Very sad

I am shocked--shocked--I tell you! Wink

On a semi-related topic, is there any news of a date for the next batch of Sentai's Golgo 13?

The last news we got was at Anime Expo, where they said they were still waiting on the masters, as they had been delayed due to the earthquake and tsunami. My best guess would be early next year.

I have this preordered at Amazon, and will likely double dip on the bluray next year. It seems the Japanese made them wait, as their bluray release is relatively new. They don't want competition from the cheaper American release.

I can't wait to hear Hilary Haags performance in this one. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2