• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sonic and the Secret Rings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't played Sonic and the Secret Rings and this review coincides with the other reviews I read of it. The last good Sonic game that I played was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the game cube the only drawback that I found with it was the knuckles and rouge levels, but the one thing that I absolutely adored about Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was the music, and I could listen to it all day if I had to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Pants: I thought the Adventure games had everything that was missing from Mario 64, like a plot, features, and some direction, but everyone went off on the dub and the "OMG RPG elements" that we had to get stuck with those weak spin-offs with Shadow and Heroes to make them satisfied.
honeybunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
From the review:

Quote:
Sonic and the Secret Rings for Nintendo Wii is easily one of the best Sonic games to come out to date. But, that doesn't say much for the hedgehog-with-an-attitude.

What the hell does that mean? If it actually was "one of the best Sonic games to come out to date" that would say a lot. Have you ever played the Genesis/Megadrive games? I doubt it. If you had , there's no way you could say that being one of the best Sonic games is meaningless.

The original Sonic games were Sega's answer to the early Mario games, but they were so much better. If you haven't played them, I don't think you're qualified to say that being one of the best Sonic games to come out to date is meaningless. And if you had play them, there's no way you'd be saying that this is one of the best Sonic games to date.

And was the music in that youtube video actually the in-game music? God, that's horrible. I don't understand how Sega can think people want to listen to generic made-for-videogame hard rock.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a diehard Sega fan, and yet, the only 3D Sonic game I played all the way through was Adventure 1 on the Dreamcast, and the last Sonic game I bought was Mega Collection Plus for the Xbox. Perhaps Sega should rethink Sonic. I hope the new Nights game is good, though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
Perhaps Sega should rethink Sonic. I hope the new Nights game is good, though...

Or at least take a break, the reason why Zelda isn't boring is because we only have a new game every 3-4 years. Whereas Sonic feels like there's a new game every week, hell I am a bit confuse by Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, that game worries me a lot.

@Iwatch2muchanime

The problem with the Wii is that there aren't any games for it. Everything is either a port from another system or a tech demo. Red Steel is basically the only original property develop for the Wii at it sucked. Hell both Paper Mario and Zelda are ports of what were suppose to be Gamecube games.

honeybunch wrote:
What the hell does that mean? If it actually was "one of the best Sonic games to come out to date"

I think that he means the best sonic games in recent years. Which would be perfectly true seeing as how PS2, Gamecube, Xbox had awful Sonic games.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

I think that he means the best sonic games in recent years. Which would be perfectly true seeing as how PS2, Gamecube, Xbox had awful Sonic games.

Yeah, I see what he's saying. I thought it was the best Sonic game in recent memory but I still hated it.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah, I see what he's saying. I thought it was the best Sonic game in recent memory but I still hated it.

Isn't that such a terrible thing to admit? A game that most of us would grade with a F is best in recent memory. I feel really bad for Sonic, here the character that was going to challenge the plumper and win. He was everything mario was not, and yet look at him now a shell of his once great self.

ferrarimanf355 wrote:
I hope the new Nights game is good, though...

I hope so for SEGA sake seeing as how they could use a hit right now, I must say my hopes are too high after they failed Toe Jam and Earl game.

Edit Switch Sega for Sony

Last edited by Deltakiral on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the biggest Sonic fans growing up. But seeing the state of the series now its make you shake your head in disgust. How can such a sacred video game mascot fall this hard from grace? Its was the only video games mascot to serious challenge Mario in Nintendo heyday. And I hope Sega is happy with what they did to Sonic. Its a unfair disservice to all the Sonic fans who made Sonic popular in the first place. I really hope Sonic do not go the way of Crash Bandicoot. To drop off the face of video games relevant . And to be reduce to the bargain bin basement.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rowsdower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

ferrarimanf355 wrote:
I hope the new Nights game is good, though...

I hope so for Sony sake seeing as how they could use a hit right now, I must say my hopes are too high after they failed Toe Jam and Earl game.

Uh. Sorry, but the NiGHTS sequel is currently a Wii exclusive. I haven't heard anything about it being ported to Sony also, but I'm definitely sure it's in the works as a Wii title.
brichibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

That pretty much sums it up. I played the XBOX 360 one because we have it on a demo at work, and yikes... that one was horrid. The controls are terrible!

We have a bit of fun at GameStop and look at which games get traded in the fastest, and Sonic and his Bling *coughs* I mean Secret Rings gets traded in a lot, we never go a day without having a used copy of it for sale. It's just not a fun game at all Sad

When "Sonic Adventure" had us gain experience it was fine, because it was tricks like, "Now you can automatically zoom across a row of rings," but speed? We have to get experience for his speed in this new game? Wha-?

I miss the old Sonic games, the Mega Collection was like my smartest purchase because all the classic games are on it. Hopefully Sonic gets better when "Mario and Sonic Olympic Games" comes out later this year.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
I hope so for Sony sake seeing as how they could use a hit right now, I must say my hopes are too high after they failed Toe Jam and Earl game.

Uh. Sorry, but the NiGHTS sequel is currently a Wii exclusive. I haven't heard anything about it being ported to Sony also, but I'm definitely sure it's in the works as a Wii title.

Yeah I meant Sega sorry Embarassed, It's definitely coming out for Wii and I hope that it is good for Sega sake seeing as how other then Virtual Fighter they don't have a whole lots going for them.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually hoping that Nintendo will outsource F-Zero for the Wii to Amusement Vision again.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
That review was harsh. Very harsh! Then again, I kinda do agree. A least the gaming reviews are back. -.- I was wondering what happen about it. I was about to go apply or say something about it this week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I thought this was one of the best sonic games in a while... Nowhere near as good as the genesis games, but this was pretty fun nonetheless. I never once had problems with the controls. Then again I never had a problem with Red Steel's controls either... Either something wrong with me or something wrong with everyone else, I dunno.
Aleclom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person in the entire world besides Alter User Kazuma who actually managed to enjoy this game? It wasn't uberly awesome, but I had fun.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3