• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
In other words, they will be looking closely at streaming numbers before they make their final call on a dub and bluray release. So if you want a dub, watch the streams. Smile
"they" being Section23, I take it.

And agree with tuxedocat, this is most likely the last [?] in the Crunchyroll season lineup. And adding "most likely" squared, most likely North America only, so causing still more rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth among Scandinavian and South American Crunchyroll members.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it been good but not worth getting if its not dub

Something tells me it could easily be subtitle only and like others, I've been enjoying the series as well. Actually really interesting (despite clearly having some well used elements in the first episode.)

It will be interesting to see what Sentai does with this license though.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Better late than never! Good pickup!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it been good but not worth getting if its not dub

Please. Do you even like the show or the idea of the show? Depending on the feedback Sentai gets they could figure that the show itself would not sell enough to support the cost of a dub.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I really really wish they would release blurays for sub-only titles though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Quote:
Yes home video is coming, we just haven't finalized all the release details yet.

That just makes me even more glad that I dropped it. A story which thinks that solving a medium-level Sudoku puzzle is something worthy of adulation is not the show for me.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Of course, if a bluray will normally add x% to the sales and $x to the overhead cost, and a dub will normally add y% to the sales and $y to the overhead cost ... then a bluray release tends to make the cost of a dub easier to cover, and a dub release tends to make the cost of producing a bluray easier to cover.

There could be some series that are in the border territory, where a BD production is justified while a dub is not ... but the risk of not making back the BD production cost is higher for the borderline series than for the ones expected to cover the cost of a dub.

There'll be a level of BD penetration when the BD choice will start to be automatic for anything worth releasing at all, but until then, sub-only DVD release and hybrid dual format release seem like natural market niches.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Of course, if a bluray will normally add x% to the sales and $x to the overhead cost, and a dub will normally add y% to the sales and $y to the overhead cost ... then a bluray release tends to make the cost of a dub easier to cover, and a dub release tends to make the cost of producing a bluray easier to cover.

There could be some series that are in the border territory, where a BD production is justified while a dub is not ... but the risk of not making back the BD production cost is higher for the borderline series than for the ones expected to cover the cost of a dub.

There'll be a level of BD penetration when the BD choice will start to be automatic for anything worth releasing at all, but until then, sub-only DVD release and hybrid dual format release seem like natural market niches.

The actual cost of BD production itself is very minimal (like literally a just a couple $ over a dvd). They can easily pass that onto the consumers, which they already do and more. If anything those are two very independent variables. They can easily make back the cost of blurays and generate more sales than a dvd-only release, regardless of a dub. However, the only other factor and what probably makes the difference is the license cost.

I'm not convinced adding a very costly dub (orders of magnitude more than BD production alone) to the already costly license premium for BD actually generates more profits for *all* their titles, rather than being more liberal with BD releases and more picky for dub releases. Look at NISA--they've taken that latter, opposite approach. I think likewise for Nozomi, that they'll move to bluray before moving to dubs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2