• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Site Sued for Power Rangers Halloween Costumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
Now thinking about it, it took me a long while to figure its from Japan. What threw me off was was mainly seeing the human actors. If been anime, I would guessed better.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Actually, when I was a kid I didn't notice it but when I got older, I noticed Rita Repulsa's lips didn't match sometimes. Later on (like 3 or 4 years ago) I found out it was originally Super Sentai from Japan. Rita (I'm assuming) is an actress from one of the seasons there.

I've also noticed at times that when you don't see the human characters, it almost looks like it's taken from parts of the Sentai episodes (sort of). When it's the human characters, it's from here.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
I think I always realized parts of it were Japanese, but it was my dad who pointed out the bits with them in their suits were from the Japanese version. He also pointed out that the yellow ranger was male in the Japanese take- that threw my 12-year-old self for a bit of a loop.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
Actually, when I was a kid I didn't notice it but when I got older, I noticed Rita Repulsa's lips didn't match sometimes. Later on (like 3 or 4 years ago) I found out it was originally Super Sentai from Japan. Rita (I'm assuming) is an actress from one of the seasons there.

Machiko Soga (who sadly passed away a few years ago) played the Witch Bandora in Zyuranger, and the footage was used for MMPR. IIRC, she also was a character in Magiranger/Mystic Force. If she were still alive, she would have reprized her role as Bandora in the Goseiger Gokaiger 199 Heroes movie.

Quote:
I've also noticed at times that when you don't see the human characters, it almost looks like it's taken from parts of the Sentai episodes (sort of). When it's the human characters, it's from here.

Actually, it is the footage from Sentai. It's not as easy to tell now, given that newer footage is higher quality, but you can really tell in MMPR that the Japanese footage isn't the samem quality as the American footage.

As another interesting note, MMPR went on for much longer than Zyuranger did (most Sentai series only last a year), and since MMPR ran for 2 1/2 years, Saban actually commissioned additional footage from Toei, which is referred to as "Zyu2" by fans. The second season actually has a lot of mixing of footage, since some is Zyu2, and some is from Dairanger (which was the season after Zyuranger, and where the KibaRanger/White Ranger and new Zord footage came from).

Was I the only one who saw the special, where they aired the original pilot episode? They were at a bowling alley instead of the Juice Bar (and Samurai Pizza Cats was airing on a TV in there) when they were summoned. And going to and from the commercial breaks, they showed musical numbers from the Japanese version.

On yet another interesting note, since TigerRanger (Yellow) was male in Zyuranger, that's why the Yellow Power Ranger didn't have a skirt (btw, that was how I figured out it was Japanese). However, in Gokaiger, their ability is to become other Rangers, but suited to their gender. So the male TigerRanger gets a female outfit when Gokai Yellow becomes it. I'm waiting to see how Saban addresses that (although we have another year of Shinkenger/Samurai, and then we still have Goseiger before we get to Gokaiger).
FMABleach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
FMABleach wrote:

Machiko Soga (who sadly passed away a few years ago) played the Witch Bandora in Zyuranger, and the footage was used for MMPR. IIRC, she also was a character in Magiranger/Mystic Force. If she were still alive, she would have reprized her role as Bandora in the Goseiger Gokaiger 199 Heroes movie.

Quote:

Actually, it is the footage from Sentai. It's not as easy to tell now, given that newer footage is higher quality, but you can really tell in MMPR that the Japanese footage isn't the samem quality as the American footage.

As another interesting note, MMPR went on for much longer than Zyuranger did (most Sentai series only last a year), and since MMPR ran for 2 1/2 years, Saban actually commissioned additional footage from Toei, which is referred to as "Zyu2" by fans. The second season actually has a lot of mixing of footage, since some is Zyu2, and some is from Dairanger (which was the season after Zyuranger, and where the KibaRanger/White Ranger and new Zord footage came from).

Was I the only one who saw the special, where they aired the original pilot episode? They were at a bowling alley instead of the Juice Bar (and Samurai Pizza Cats was airing on a TV in there) when they were summoned. And going to and from the commercial breaks, they showed musical numbers from the Japanese version.

On yet another interesting note, since TigerRanger (Yellow) was male in Zyuranger, that's why the Yellow Power Ranger didn't have a skirt (btw, that was how I figured out it was Japanese). However, in Gokaiger, their ability is to become other Rangers, but suited to their gender. So the male TigerRanger gets a female outfit when Gokai Yellow becomes it. I'm waiting to see how Saban addresses that (although we have another year of Shinkenger/Samurai, and then we still have Goseiger before we get to Gokaiger).

Wow, these are a lot of facts that I never knew before! =O

Thanks for the info, Dessa. ^^
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm waiting to see how Saban addresses that (although we have another year of Shinkenger/Samurai, and then we still have Goseiger before we get to Gokaiger).

I think the fact they'll have to explain dozens of other Sentai teams that never got a PR adaption is more of a concern. Or the fact Goseiger is all about angels and religion.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Wait, I thought it was the other way around? Toei found out how popular MMPR was, they commissioned (on Saban's dime) new footage for MMPR?

Also, your forgetting another series that MMPR "retconned": Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. While the suits from Kakuranger were used in the awful Alien Rangers subplot (which was before Zeo), Ninjaman and the Zords got used with the core MMPR team. IIRC, it led to a very bizarre scenario where the Pink Ranger had to share a Zord with the White Ranger because in the original Kakuranger series, there was no "Pink Ranger".

The Alien Rangers series was abit more bizarre in leadership as well. The WHITE ranger is the leader of the group, yet the RED ranger is the Field commander?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
FMABleach - NP. I'm still learning a lot myself, but I have fallen in love with Gokaiger, so I'm learning about all the earlier series. I find it really interesting how some of the more serious PR seasons (notably RPM) are based off of light-hearted Sentai seasons (Go-Onger).

TitanXL - Well, with the upcoming RPM/Samurai crossover spoiler[RPM takes place in an alternate universe], which, from what I understand, is the same excuse that has been used in Masked Rider, they can easily write off the "new" Rangers. I highly doubt their target demographic has even seen most of the earlier seasons, so I think the mysterious skirt added to a "previously female" suit will be questioned more than "oh, I don't remember that character". They'll just write it off as alternate universes/other alien teams. What they'll have a harder time explaining is how Green Ranger, White Ranger, Red Zeo Ranger, and Black Dino Ranger can be in the scene together.

Sunday Silence - Nope. Saban commissioned Toei to make the footage for them, since they'd already gone through most of the footage and all of the monster of the weeks in the first 40 episodes.

And yeah, I didn't mention Kakuranger, one because I didn't see most of those series (I was in high school by that point, and classes didn't let out for me to see them), and two because they didn't mix and match the footage like they did with Zyu2 and Dairanger.

Separate leader/field leaders isn't unheard of in other media, though. I've seen a few series (both American and Japanese) where the leader is great at planning strategies and drawing up plans and everything, but they let someone else take charge in the field, because they're not as good at coming up with changes on the fly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2