• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Birdy the Mighty Decode Season 2 OAV flaw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing to convince when you are wrong.

The only compromise I'd be willing to make, is to purge the prologue, and episode 13. SINCE THEY ARE THE SAME THING AS THE CIPHER.

However the cipher came out as the prologue first, and was re-released, making me technically correct.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Sakaraba, I've gone ahead and asked for help on Wikipedia, since this disagreement has spilled over to there. I'm also trying to obtain a copy of the pre-airing special so I can watch it myself and know exactly what it contains.

I do want to point out again that Dormcat has also listed the contents of The Cipher DVD, and has stated that it contains both an unaired original episode and a special promotional episode, as separate things. While I am relying on Google Translate (which does do a terrible job of translating Japanese), I'm pretty certain that Dormcat is fluent in Japanese. I see no reason to doubt that she has listed the contents of the DVD correctly.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Talk all high and mighty. We will see who has the last laugh.
Do what you want with wikipedia. the best they can do is ban and IP> But they have no right to ban an IP over factual information. Maybe they will send a warning to your wiki account for trolling. Thank you for turning "yourself" in to wikipedia.

[Do not threaten other users, either directly or indirectly - Keonyn]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I think you misunderstood. I haven't asked for help on Wikipedia to block you or anything like that, but for help from knowledgeable editors who can resolve the dispute. Over at Wikipedia, neither of us have violated any policies, and there is certainly no reason for any administrator to be involved at this point. Content disputes are resolved by asking for the opinion of additional editors, which is what I've done.

However, your actions here, where you listed Wikipedia as supporting your position while editing it yourself to make it support you, seem to be inappropriate. If I was a moderator here, I would certainly give you some sort of warning for that. But I'm not a moderator here, so I'll leave to the actual moderators to decide if anything should be done.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the show, and don't have any interest one way or another, other than making sure the encyclopedia is accurate, so I looked at the various information available, and sent the whole kit-and-kaboodle to FUNimation in an e-mail asking for assistance.

The Japanese site linked does clearly list two episodes, one of which is an "original unaired episode" and the other which is named "prologue," so hopefully FUNimation will be able to tell us what each of them are.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lets hope. Because like I said earlier If there was other material, I would have seen it.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've managed to obtain a partial copy of the pre-airing special, and have captured some images from it to prove that it is not the same thing as the episode "Between You and Me". Instead, it consists of people talking about the second season, clips from the second season, and a recap of the first season.

Here are the screencaps:

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Calathan/Birdy%20Decode%20Special/screencap1.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Calathan/Birdy%20Decode%20Special/screencap2.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Calathan/Birdy%20Decode%20Special/screencap3.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Calathan/Birdy%20Decode%20Special/screencap4.jpg

The first screencap shows that this special contains clips of actual people (I'm guessing voice actors from the show), talking about the show. The second image is the title screen of the epsiode, where it is labeled "prologue". The third image shows the start of a recap, where it clearly indicates that what follows is recap. The fourth image is a screen capture from the recap.

These images are clearly not from the same thing as the episode "Between You and Me" that Funimation has labeled as "Prologue". That episode did not contain clips of real people, and was an original episode with new content, not a recap of the first season. There is absolutely no way that they are the same thing.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm how are you sure thats not from a quick 30 second promo that someone labeled prologue..

Lets wait until the legit person talks back.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
I would be kind of surprised if someone from Funimation gets back to us on this (and given that I don't think they've licensed the pre-airing special, I'm not certain they would be able to give us much information about it). Though if they do get back to us that would be great.

Anyway, the thing I took those screenshots from is 24 minutes long. When I say I have part of it, I mean I have part of the file, such that some parts of the file won't play.

Aoi Sakaraba, I really don't see why you can't believe that you could have not heard of an obscure special like this that wasn't ever released in English, and which no one really cared about because it was just recap and previewing. I think I've presented a vast amount of evidence that it exists.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
I believe what I find, and in the past I searched left and right for specials and stuff I didn't see, that is why I know im correct. especially since everything with "special" and "oav" is the SAME THING.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
everything with "special" and "oav" is the SAME THING.

What?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I was still talking in context of birdy the mighty decode.

Everything thing I found in terms of oav or prologue/dvdspecial IS THE SAME THING, and believe me I have searched far and wide if there was any material that I missed. If I'm wrong with the whole prologue thing which I'm not under 95% certainty, then the prologue entry doesn't belong in the episode lineup at all. There are A LOT of specials, and prologues to shows out there, and they aren't counted with the anime. For example Hyakko special, or the Saikano special after the series aren't included on their respected episode list.

-btw keo it wasn't a threat to him in my sub-post it was a generalization, wasn't focused directly or indirectly towards him at all, thus I have to argue and say it was wrong taking it out of "my" post.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
While I am relying on Google Translate (which does do a terrible job of translating Japanese)

I find that using Excite Japan's translator in conjunction with Google Translate helps—for my full set of tips and tricks, see the Mania.com/Anime on DVD thread "Getchu.com as a research tool (NSFW)".
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
I've now gotten the whole pre-airing special, and it appears that about 15 minutes of it is recapping the first season. The recap is interspersed with live action scenes of either the voice actors or production staff talking about the show. After the recap, there is a preview of the second season, including some clips and more of the voice actors or production staff talking. They also show what looks like some of the show being created, including one of the artists drawing a character, what looks like maybe a rough draft of the script that they are working on, and production sketches. Since the special isn't really just a recap episode and instead also includes talking to the cast/staff and other live-action content, I would say it shouldn't count as an episode and should be removed from the episode list.
rin_m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
That is drawn severely purposely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3