• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub or sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm prefer subbed, but I like watching dubs now and then, usually on re-watches. Most recently, I re-watched Haruhi dubbed and I plan to rewatch Lucky Star dubbed when it comes out since I liked what I heard in the trailer. Before that, the last titles I watched dubbed were Ghost Stories and then Chrono Crusade immediately after. Watching Ghost Stories made me want to watch CC dubbed due to Hilary Haag playing the lead in both.
Jen526

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
For newer series, my default is usually to start by watching the dub... but with subtitles on. I enjoy seeing how the English script evolves from a more direct translation.

If the dub doesn't work for me, I'll switch... though the reasons for switching vary wildly - from big things (like annoying voices or major differences between what the dub is saying vs. the subs) to picky personal stuff (like the fact that I really, really hate it when a dub uses "senior" to replace "sempai", even though it's a perfectly reasonable script choice).

For older series, I usually go right into the sub. Something about the pacing or visual cues or something of older shows doesn't really work in English for me.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
countchocula86 wrote:
If I had it my way, I would watch dubs and they would be perfectly acted and the translation would be immaculate.

Barring that, its kinda dependent what I get to first. If I see the original version with subs, I get accustomed to voices, and any new dub voice no matter how good just sounds weird. At the same time, if I start with the dub, then it feels odd listening to the original.

That happens to everyone.However you saw or heard it the first time,is pretty much how you like it and remember it.That's why I haven't gotten rid of my VHS dubs.I still prefer subs though.

Exclamation Careful,this is a risky and overkilled topic.A topic that makes Zac,toss and turn at night Exclamation
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it's been a while since the last time I answered to one of these threads so...

I generally prefer subs. Once in a while, if it's an anime I don't plan on watching on fansubs, and the dub has been highly praised, I will watch the dub instead of the sub (examples: Cowboy Bebop & Fullmetal Alchemist). Other than that I will always watch subs unless I'm with somebody who insists on watching the dub (I have a few friends like that). The reason I watch subs is mostly because I'm too used to them to watch anime any other way. I also have a huge affinity towards Japanese seiyuu.
koukin74

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the series really. Some English dubs are awful, others are great and I find I like them more than the original Japanese. Excel Saga comes to mind as one series where I enjoy the English voice track more than the Japanese. Honestly, I can't remember the last anime where I didn't like both tracks. Maybe Ikki Tousen, but it's been awhile - I know what I'm watching tonight Very Happy.
Dreaming Sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with either version but I usually prefer an english dub so I don't have to risk straining my eyes reading subtitles. But sometimes I prefer the subtitled version of a show to the dub, so I'd say it depends on the series.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
If the dub is good, I almost always watch the dub, UNLESS I had seen it fansubbed first(full metal alchemist). And by good, I don't mean the like 1% of what's out there. I check reviews here, dubreview.com and animeondvd.com though they rarely watch it in english. If people reviewing the dub(so, therefore, people who most likely like dubs) say anything too negative, I don't bother.

With Gundam Seed, I switched to japanese because of not so positive reviews of the dub; same with Someday's Dreamers.

I also like to keep some dubbed anime "at the ready" so that I can have something to watch while I eat. Been eating a ton of oranges lately and I can't peel and then take all the extra bits off(OCD) while trying to read.

I honestly can't tell when a japanese VA is bad. I know when I really enjoy a japanese voice or when they sound great, but I hardly ever think they're plain bad. I don't switch often either. I usually only watch each anime whichever way I saw it first. So all the adult swim stuff(from about 2 years ago and everything prior) is always in english, everything I watch fansubbed is always in japanese and everything on DVD is a toss up.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not nearly as against dubs as I used to be, but I still prefer subs just because it sounds better to me and I'm more comfortable w/ it.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow a Dub/Sub thread that hasn't turned into a war zone? Cool, I've literally never seen one before.

For me, it's English dub all the way. I just don't connect as well with the Japanese performances and I'm extremely used to reading in near absolute quiet. Trying to read while people talk around me (like when I've read at any time while at school, college, etc.) is irritating so trying to read subtitles and follow the action on screen with my full attention drives me nuts.

I can watch subbed, I have watched subbed, I just like it better dubbed. And as long as both language tracks are available on the DVDs, I don't see why we all can't get along.

Just look, this thread hasn't fallen into madness yet, so lets try to make this a new beginning! No more rants against either fan preference ever again! (By page 4 I'm sure someone will be trolling.) Wink
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I honestly can't tell when a japanese VA is bad. I know when I really enjoy a japanese voice or when they sound great, but I hardly ever think they're plain bad. I don't switch often either. I usually only watch each anime whichever way I saw it first. So all the adult swim stuff(from about 2 years ago and everything prior) is always in english, everything I watch fansubbed is always in japanese and everything on DVD is a toss up.
I feel the same way. You can especially hear the emotion put into it more is the way I interpret it which in turn makes it more enjoyable, well at least thats how I see it.

Richard J. wrote:
Just look, this thread hasn't fallen into madness yet, so lets try to make this a new beginning! No more rants against either fan preference ever again! (By page 4 I'm sure someone will be trolling.) Wink
Don't jinx it! If theres not gonna be a safe thread at least here, then theres no hope for mankind Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
i watch anime both ways like for fullmetal alchemist i first saw the series subbed and then rewatched it dubbed. doesnt bother me whether its dubbed or subbed, half the time i dont even realize it. a few times I've put in a dvd and it the sub was on instead of the dub and my friend would have to point it out since he prefers dubs because i wont notice. lol
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
I feel the same way. You can especially hear the emotion put into it more is the way I interpret it which in turn makes it more enjoyable, well at least thats how I see it.

Since I don't know the Japanese language much, the way it's spoken and all, I can't always tell acting quality. While performances never really sound bad to me, I can't always tell if they're good either. I can actually hear the emotion in English better than the Japanese often times. I could actually hear the emotion in Voices of a Distant Star from the English actors, while the Japanese actors simply sounded like they were doing this monotoned whispering.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
At the very beginning I watched anime dubbed, but once I switched over to subs, I just kind of stayed that way. Since then, I think I've learned a lot about vocal inflection in the Japanese language, and how to recognize subtleties. However, I understand that this is not a substitute for being a fluent speaker.

If I'm with friends who dislike subtitles, I'll watch dubbed, and usually enjoy it. However, most of the time, I just check the voices on a few key points (which I agree, is not a fair substitute for seeing the full dubbed version), or possibly an episode or two. I do tend to be finnicky though about voice acting in general, and because of my familiarity with the language, I can more easily find fault with the English track.

I personally tend to prefer the subtitle scripts, as well. But then again, a somewhat "detatched" way of speaking more fits my aesthetic taste than the usually more upfront script of the dub.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I always give the dub a chance before watching a show subbed(unless it's a fansub of course). If the dub is just god awful or if the dub script differs way too much from the Japanese script, I'll watch it subbed. Also, if most of the characters in the show are children I usually find myself watching it subbed because there are more Japanese actors that can do good voices for kids. One example would be Now and Then Here and There(as much as I like Crispin Freeman he just doesn't do well as the voice of a kid).

However, if the dub is at least decent I'll watch it dubbed. Nothing beats sitting back in your couch and enjoying the artwork without having to keep your eyes glued to the screen all the time to read subtitles, especially if the show is dialogue heavy like GitS SAC.
zhir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
I prefer subs, with the exception of Bebop, which is much better dubed. If the dub is very good though, I tend to mark it as a show that can be watched while eating, gaming and the like. So far I've done that with Bebop, FMA, and GitS: SAC.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20