• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Historical Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Ikegami, one of the odder historical manga released stateside was Samurai Crusader: The Kumomaru Chronicles, which was set in 1920s France and featured a young Japanese samurai and his sidekick Ernest Hemingway (!) battling Nazis. Kuh-ray-zee. The book was published by Viz, and serialized in Manga Vizion magazine back around '95-'97 or so.

Now that I think about it I rememver flipping through a pamphlet about five year back. Its crazy how many obscure things Viz released that have been lost to time.

Quote:
It's really sad that Historie might have been canceled by Afternoon. Sad

Are you serious? That would be terrible. Historie is absolutely incredible. A recent review compares it to one of Gore Vidal's historical novels, and given Iwaaki's mastery of detail driven storytelling I have to agree. It was definitely the first thing to pop in my mind when I read the topic heading.

Times of Botchan is one of the more underrated titles available in English, historical or not, but I can understand why more people aren't reading it (aside from the fact that they're fairly rare). It really fits the "boring historical literature" mold that a lot of people have of this kind of fiction. There's little plot to speak of and most of its "action" comes from character interactions and its exploration of Meiji-era Japan. I'll admit that it is pretty dry at times but the writing, character development and art are second to none.

And of course you have one of the all-time classics: Lone Wolf and Cub. Though initially episodic tales it eventually develops into a grand epic of honor and vengeance. Fans of feudal Japan will be in heaven. Same goes for the more recent Samurai Executioner, though it isn't nearly as grand in scope as LW&C. Vagabond is another top-notch manga that could be classified as historical, but it takes a much more personal approach to the genre and lacks LW&C's exploration of the era's social structure. Same goes for Blade of the Immortal. It's an excellent revenge saga no doubt but you could have probably set it in any country without altering too many major plot points.

As for the Berserk debate, I mostly agree with dormcat. Miura has done a lot of things that I really like (adding humor, fleshing-out his world) but at the moment he is starting to loose grip on his narrative. It has to be expected of a manga that long and I don't think its too problematic (nothing that should keep anyone from reading it) but it is annoying.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It's really sad that Historie might have been canceled by Afternoon.

Was there an announcement in Afternoon, or are you just speculating?

It seems to be fairly well received in Japan. The only reason I can think of for them canceling it is because of how long it takes for him to release chapters, which has gone from monthly to bi-monthly.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Times of Botchan

I've been meaning to get that for a while now...
I recently bought Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossom, since I've been hearing good things about it. Haven't read it just yet, but I like the loose artwork...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
And of course you have one of the all-time classics: Lone Wolf and Cub.

Initially I thought to include that one... but then reconsidered since it's sort of a superhero tale set amidst a relatively well-researched setting. That, and, well, Koike's stuff is kind of hard to take seriously as a whole.

Quote:
As for the Berserk debate, I mostly agree with dormcat. Miura has done a lot of things that I really like (adding humor, fleshing-out his world) but at the moment he is starting to loose grip on his narrative. It has to be expected of a manga that long and I don't think its too problematic (nothing that should keep anyone from reading it) but it is annoying.

I keep seeing this complaint but still don't see it. It's a vague criticism that I'd like to see backed-up on so I can at least see where one might be coming from.

I also wouldn't hope that you would be thinking less of Berserk by reading it a chapter or so at a time, would you? Because that is the worst possible way to read a developing epic like that, particularly a series that doesn't think in terms of chapters much more.

Finally, reading it a volume at a time after speeding through earlier volumes does not really help one's perception of a piece. I can't really account for dormcat's experience, but much (most?) of the English fandom of Berserk has come together after reading through a more than a couple dozen volumes of it practically in one go, then coming to a grinding halt by waiting for another chapter, never mind a volume, to come out after an extended period of time. You forget information that Miura has previously put forth and also lose the general momentum from feeding on numerous volumes worth of material compared to stagnant waiting periods in-between a story that is concerned with the big picture.

Miura has always had a handle on the narrative, pushing it in new directions but staying thematically consistent the whole way through. Some of of the most important plot and character developments of the series have happened in the recent volumes, and are pushing it forward into the epic that is needs to be.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:

I said "might" didn't I? The "first arc" ended this January; that was a fact and a very bad sign. Few titles can resume serializing after this sort of announcement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Pityless/Envy wrote:

I said "might" didn't I? The "first arc" ended this January; that was a fact and a very bad sign. Few titles can resume serializing after this sort of announcement.

I might be wrong but I've seen raws for two chapter that were released in March and April respectively. They might be fake, but I've not been able to confirm that yet.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a subscription to the magazine?
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I have recently begun reading a couple of volumes from a series I acquired from Book Off, titled Nobunaga.

Speaking of Oda Nobunaga, other manga artists than Ikegami have also drawn manga about Nobunaga. For example, Yokoyama 'Tetsujin' Mitsuteru drew Oda Nobunaga, which is based upon a historical novel by Yamaoka Sōhachi. Also Kojima Gōseki, who had drawn Lone Wolf and Cub, drew Shinchōkōki, which is based on a biography of Nobunaga written by Ōta Gyūichi. Nagate Yuka drew Tenka Fubu Nobunaga. Hirata Hiroshi, whose works were Mishima Yukio's favourite gekiga, draws Shinchōkōki, too.
Mishima Yukio wrote:
私は今みたいに一流新聞や一流誌が劇畫を問題にするずつと以前から劇畫に親しんでをり、今みたいにきれいな印刷や紙質のツルツルしたポケット版の劇畫などを見ると、何か却つて淋しさとはかなさを感じるのである。むかしアメ橫の卸店などでしか手に入らなかつた時代の、貸本專門の劇畫には、野性も活力も、力强い野卑も、殘酷も、今の十倍ほどもあふれてゐた。それはまだ「惡書」に屬してをり、私はとりわけ平田弘史氏の時代物劇畫などに、そのあくまで眞摯でシリアスなタッチに、古い紙芝居のノスタルジヤと、「繪金」的幕末趣味を發見してゐたのである。
It is interesting that Mishima compared gekiga to Ekin's works.
Nobunaga also appeared in Hyouge Mono by Yamada Yoshihiro.

dormcat wrote:
All six of them are available in Taiwan legally (although two of them are hard to find now...). Be envious, folks! Twisted Evil

うーん、原書でフツーに讀んでゐる者からすると、別段羨ましくはないですねえ。
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
I might be wrong but I've seen raws for two chapter that were released in March and April respectively. They might be fake, but I've not been able to confirm that yet.

I don't know about the March issue, but I own the April issue and it does not have Historie for sure.

Pityless/Envy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you have a subscription to the magazine?

No, I buy sporadically. While I can afford the subscription, I can't afford the space to store them (each issue is over 1000 pages thick), and I'm not the kind of person who throw books (manga magazine included) away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lijakaca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

I second this. Since you'd be hard-pressed to find many other manga set in Victorian England, Emma feels quite fresh despite it's story a being bit cliched in the early going. I haven't read volume 7 yet (purchased it not too long ago), but the first 6 were great reads. I'm very much looking forward to the conclusion of main story.

Lady Victorian is another one, it's fun although not very historically accurate. Princess Comics, by Moto Naoko. 20 volumes, I think it might be finished now.

Other historical series I haven't seen mentioned:

One of the titans of shoujo, Royal Emblem (Ouke no Monshou). Girl (blond American archaeologist) gets sent back to ancient Egypt where she's pursued/captured/desired/hated by all the leading rulers of the region. Something like 70 volumes and still going. Barely any historical accuracy here either.

Hiou Shirabyoushi - interesting tale of a young noblewoman in Heian Japan who is secretly an assassin for her adoptive father. In public, she's betrothed to the unknowing Captain of the Guard (or Police Force, can't remember which), in private she tries to keep him from finding out her secret identity while she takes out corrupt politicians. 12 volumes, Hana to Yume Comics.

Kouya na Tenshidomo - set in the Wild West, a story about 4 orphans - 3 young men and a girl - who help the female owner of a ranch against a corrupt local businessman who's in league with criminals. 3 volumes, Hikawa Kyouko. No Jesse James or Billy the Kid!
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It's really sad that Historie might have been canceled by Afternoon. Sad

Afternoon carries the second arc of Historiē now.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Afternoon carries the second arc of Historiē now.

June issue that released today? That would be a great news. Very Happy
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
June issue that released today? That would be a great news. Very Happy

The second arc of Historiē started serialisation from the March issue. The June issue carries Chapter 46. The June issue also has an advertising manga for the Historiē tankōbon on page 318.

休載多くても氣長に待て。文化が違ふんだ
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
休載多くても氣長に待て。文化が違ふんだ

I'm not sure what you were trying to say. Were you referring to the serialization of Afternoon or the entire industry in general?
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
tenkado-shujin wrote:
休載多くても氣長に待て。文化が違ふんだ

I'm not sure what you were trying to say. Were you referring to the serialization of Afternoon or the entire industry in general?

マジリアクションで返された――

ト、
  ,」 ヽ            , イ
  { }  ゝ-―‐ 、__ / /|_
 乂>              { /
 /               く,/
 !  / l__l_  l __l_  l   |
 '、 l  lヽ|、  トハ  l l|
   トゝト○ 丶○ ∨,/,/
  / /l  「 ̄l  /´´/
  '´ l/>,ゝイ<イレ'
   rt―f/__V__|ヽ―tョ
   └ー/ l |!l |ー‐┘ /〉
      く下 ハ寸---- '/
       l:┼┼イ´ ̄ ̄
       「| 「|
     弋j 弋j

文化が違ふ!

冗談の說明は野暮つてもんですが…。
Kōda Rohan wrote:
イヤ怪しからぬ、野暮を云るゝは都の御方にも似ぬ

Well, '休載多くても氣長に待て。文化が違ふんだ' is a phrase that readers of Historiē half-jokingly use, talking about the serialisation of the manga. It is based upon '文化が違ふ!', which is the catch-phrase of Historiē's protagonist. He also says it in Chapter 46, which I have mentioned.

'文化の違ひ' is used humorously by other people, too.
For example,
Sugita Atsuhiko wrote:
大量のロボットが登場する『TF』の設定は、作画の負担を軽減するため、かなりの線を減らして描かれている。また『TF』には日本人が描いた "より人間のプロポーションに近い" 物と、海外スタッフの描いた "なんだかわからないけど、まぁ文化に違いってヤツ?" 系の2種類があり、雑誌展開用に統一した設定をつくる必要があった――というのはタテマエで、とりあえず "この設定ダサイから変えてしまえ" と考えたのは事実。当時、アニメ雑誌などの影響で "設定を無視しても、格好良く描ければOK" 的風潮があったのも追い風に。まぁ、若気の至りというヤツである。
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Well, '休載多くても氣長に待て。文化が違ふんだ' is a phrase that readers of Historiē half-jokingly use, talking about the serialisation of the manga. It is based upon '文化が違ふ!', which is the catch-phrase of Historiē's protagonist. He also says it in Chapter 46, which I have mentioned.

Thanks for the explanation. I read the licensed version so I didn't get the catchphrase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3