• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Origin ~Spirits of the Past~ DVD [2008-06-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Good review. It's just more Gonzo trash for me to ignore. Laughing
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I have a simple comparison that speaks volumes about Origin: Spirits of the Past (OSP).

To me, it's "Green Legend Ran" (GLR) revisited.

For those who don't know GLR was also an evironmentally themed story in the form of a OVA released in 1992 by then Pioneer. OSP is a movie and blessedly shorter in length.

What I remember the most about GLR is the boy, Ran, screaming Aira's name whenever she was in peril. Guess what, OSP has the boy, Agito, going, "Tooooolaaaaaa!" for most of the movie.

OSP feels somewhat empty and within the realm of anime the whole spoiler[people transforming into trees] spiel falls flat and feels outrageous.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Just got the movie from Netflix and I've got to agree with the review. The art & animation are both stunning (if someone had shown me the visuals and told me it was a Studio Ghibli film, I would have believed them), but the pacing is off, the characters are cliche, and the plot is a hacky imitation of Miyazaki's work. The thing is, Miyazaki himself has revisited this theme over and over again (Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky all featured it prominently); do we really need yet another Technology vs the Forest anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
do we really need yet another Technology vs the Forest anime?

Arguably, if it were done well, the issue of whether or not the story was "needed" wouldn't be an issue.

However, I have to agree - in this case, it wasn't. That said, the review sure was harsh about coming to that conclusion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do some self-reflection to determine why anyone referring to me as "Dear Reader" annoys me so freakin' much. There's got to be a reason for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2