• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Orders Halt on Fansub Links for 11 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
Also....they are offering BitTorrent downloads only for Japan...so I could not care less.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Seems like Wagaya is the only current airing series there. Isn't it sad, Animesucky?

Also, most of these shows are finished airing, so what's the point of yelling about C&D's now? In fact, most of those shows were just boring generic suck-fests not worth a re-watch or in some cases, watching in the first place. So indeed, why those shows specifically? Spice and Wolf is the only one I'd care about coming over here, and Mamoru-kun is licensed by Bandai I think, but it's a dumb license, as the show became pretty bad after episode 7 or so.

"Well, at least in some defense, the fansubbing of many of these shows has been long completed." Exactly, most of these shows aren't distributed anymore now anyway. So what's the point of C&D'ing a show we can't legally obtain? It's then not a matter of fansubs versus buying the show, it's a matter of fansubs versus we don't want you to see this, in which case, fansubs would win in my opinion.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Well there are 4 titles here i'd like to get DVDs from, i wonder who will release these state side.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
The only one I'd buy would be Spice and Wolf, which I do hope gets licensed. And this is a show that could receive a dub, for once. I guess just get the regular old cast of JYB and some other people and it'll be fine.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Also....they are offering BitTorrent downloads only for Japan...so I could not care less.

Frankly I think the bittorent for Japan thing is a coincidence and unrelated. Probably.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Frankly I think the bittorent for Japan thing is a coincidence and unrelated. Probably.

I think it's just the opposite: Kadokawa et al. don't really give a damn whether Kadokawa USA or any other licensee bring those titles to North America; they just want those Japanese who "reverse download" anime via overseas bittorrent sites stop doing so anymore and either buy domestic copies or use the domestic download service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is so pointless. They've sent the C&D to Anime--suki but not to the individual fansub groups.

I'm inclined to believe that they're being stupid and didn't bother to actually read the site. They're busy people, but at the same time, if you're going to do something, don't do it halfway to the point that it has no effect.

Well, this forces me to stop watching Wagaya no Oinarisama. That's fine, it wasn't a great series and it wasn't something I'd ever considering owning.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
I found this news quite amusing for a couple of reasons:

1) De-listing from AS doesn't actually remove anything since AS doesn't run trackers, you can just use one of the other tens of torrent trackers out there to find the same thing...

2) Only one or maybe two of these shows has a snowball's chance in hell of being licensed in today's R1 anime industry climate (most of them are crappy shows)

3) Only Wagari and the yaoi trash are even airing anymore, the rest have had the subbing and downloading done for the vast majority of people~
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I think it's just the opposite: Kadokawa et al. don't really give a damn whether Kadokawa USA or any other licensee bring those titles to North America; they just want those Japanese who "reverse download" anime via overseas bittorrent sites stop doing so anymore and either buy domestic copies or use the domestic download service.

Agreed. Given the current condition of the U.S. anime market, I doubt that many of the listed series are likely to be licensed for U.S. distribution in the near future. This announcement is not a prelude to a rash of new licensing announcements by one or more of the remaining American distributors. I wouldn't be surprised if an acquisition of Wolf and Spice is announced at one of the summer conventions, but that's about the only one in that group.
Effect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
There would be no need for this if these companies would simply put up english versions of their site and offer subtitled versions along side the original Japanese. They can not be blind to the fact that thousands if not millions of people are willing to watch anime shows subtitled. They don't have to dub them. Though like said these wouldn't even be coming overseas anyway.

The market is clearly there yet they refused to cut out the middle man and take advantage of it. Will there still be those that go for the fansubs instead of paying yes but the benefit to them would out weight that drastically I feel.

Like said though delisting from AS doesn't stop the fansub. People will just go directly to the groups that are doing the subs.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
That doesn't mean we can't hope Rental gets licensed soon.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
As long as someone finishes Junjou I don't care if I find the torrent through anime suki or another site. I'm just worried that the fansub group will stop because of this (since I believe only 1 group is doing Junjou).
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
An AS de-listing does get the message out fairly quickly as this is where a good number of fansubbers and downloaders hang out. Also, the de-listing from AS makes it a little harder for a regular downloader to find the title. The chatter tends to decrease once a show gets licensed or de-listed there. The "nice" fansubbing groups also tend to stop fansubbing the series.

I disagree on one other thing. A title that is completed is still in circulation for downloading so the C&D that included completed titles was not a waste of time.

dormcat wrote:
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

That's true. Just ignore the subtitle and you'll get a smaller HD file for some of these titles. Then there's the multiple platform usage that's not present with BitTorrent. Distributors should just make a deal with iTunes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
As long as someone finishes Junjou I don't care if I find the torrent through anime suki or another site. I'm just worried that the fansub group will stop because of this (since I believe only 1 group is doing Junjou).

Fansubbers, I would imagine, would stop subbing if the series is licensed here. Otherwise, what's the point in stopping? You have no legal alternative, so no one loses out or benefits. This whole C&D is completely inane, and only a few of those shows would be worth any legal action over.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
An AS de-listing does get the message out fairly quickly as this is where a good number of fansubbers and downloaders hang out. Also, the de-listing from AS makes it a little harder for a regular downloader to find the title. The chatter tends to decrease once a show gets licensed or de-listed there. The "nice" fansubbing groups also tend to stop fansubbing the series.

You know, I think I might have to say that if anything, these series might get downloaded even more simply for stating their existence. Wow, a double lose for Kadokawa.

Also, why is no one talking about Shuffle Memories probably getting licensed since the first series is? That and Wolf and Spice are pretty much the only things on that list worth the time and effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7