• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Gurren Lagann Music Clip Project Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I have 2 words:

One sided.

Those girls either gave up, lost or needed rescuing. It's a sad day for female anime characters. Where's Revy when you need her?

Speaking as a fan of Gurren Lagann, I had the exact same thought when I saw this. After watching Diebuster in 2006, I thought, "Hey, maybe Gainax will be a little kinder to their female characters from now on..." But that ended up being my biggest disappointment with Lagann, so I guess it might have been too much to hope for afterall. Sad
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I have 2 words:

One sided.

Those girls either gave up, lost or needed rescuing. It's a sad day for female anime characters. Where's Revy when you need her?

I agree..Though, Yoko losing to Kamina was a given. You would need to be AT LEAST Big Boss level to beat that or spoiler[a cheap shot from a talking gorilla....]
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Lix wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I have 2 words:

One sided.

Speaking as a fan of Gurren Lagann, I had the exact same thought when I saw this. After watching Diebuster in 2006, I thought, "Hey, maybe Gainax will be a little kinder to their female characters from now on..." But that ended up being my biggest disappointment with Lagann, so I guess it might have been too much to hope for afterall. Sad

That depends on the director, of course. Tsurumaki's work (and Anno's as well) is significantly less misogynistic than GAINAX's other output. But the core otaku audience is comprised of men, and GAINAX's staff is primarily men.
zargas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of unavoidable for something like Gurren-Lagann. So much of Gurren-Lagann is about the revival of old-school hot-blooded manliness; a reaction against the angsty prettyboys and indecisive doormats that have dominated the protagonist roles of modern anime. But since nothing is perfectly balanced and fair, that means there's going to be a bit of old-school chauvinism in there as well.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
zargas wrote:
It's kind of unavoidable for something like Gurren-Lagann. So much of Gurren-Lagann is about the revival of old-school hot-blooded manliness; a reaction against the angsty prettyboys and indecisive doormats that have dominated the protagonist roles of modern anime. But since nothing is perfectly balanced and fair, that means there's going to be a bit of old-school chauvinism in there as well.

Oh, I understand that. If you're making a James Bond film or a revival of old-school anime aesthetics, it's hardly going to be a feminist manifesto. I'm just commenting on the trends I see in GAINAX's work.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Tsurumaki's work (and Anno's as well) is significantly less misogynistic than GAINAX's other output. But the core otaku audience is comprised of men, and GAINAX's staff is primarily men.

Most Gainax staff hate women?

Believe the word you're looking for is "sexist." It's a trait certainly more overt with their work compared to FLCL and Evangelion, never mind Honneamise (which is as sexually inoffensive as they come in fiction, as the one instant that is potentially controversial comes out of logical and need development, not tiltilation).
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Tsurumaki's work (and Anno's as well) is significantly less misogynistic than GAINAX's other output. But the core otaku audience is comprised of men, and GAINAX's staff is primarily men.

Believe the word you're looking for is "sexist." It's a trait certainly more overt with their work compared to FLCL and Evangelion, never mind Honneamise (which is as sexually inoffensive as they come in fiction, as the one instant that is potentially controversial comes out of logical and need development, not tiltilation).

Yeah, I was being imprecise. That was what I intended to say.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:

Yeah, I was being imprecise. That was what I intended to say. But sexism isn't as prevalent in GAINAX work so much as in the typical harem show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2