• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Manga Volumes Pulled from July Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The good news is, Chibi Vampire wasn't cancelled, so fans of Karin can rejoice.

For now, although the Chibi Vampire novels were cancelled by TP. But from what I heard the Karin manga is one of TP's top selling titles so I don't think they'll pull the plug on the series (at least not yet, anyway).

My main concern is about ARIA. It was a very poor seller when ADV Manga had it, so I'm curious as to how the ARIA manga is doing saleswise under TP's control.
DekarMaximGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
Well, this gets a big Anise-boo from me. Just 1 months worth of titles and there are 4 series I was collecting stopped Confused

Of them, I'll miss Atelier Marie and Elie the most. I was ecstatic when I saw it on the shelves, as I'm not sure there was any kind of announcement for it before that. I guess there's nothing that can be done, but darn. Doesn't look good for some other titles I want the rest of, like Dragon Sister or Foxy Lady. I'll almost guarantee now that both of them will be cancelled... I just hope Kannazuki no Miko doesn't meet that fate. It's only 2 volumes, so hopefully.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The good news is, Chibi Vampire wasn't cancelled, so fans of Karin can rejoice.

For now, although the Chibi Vampire novels were cancelled by TP. But from what I heard the Karin manga is one of TP's top selling titles so I don't think they'll pull the plug on the series (at least not yet, anyway).

My main concern is about ARIA. It was a very poor seller when ADV Manga had it, so I'm curious as to how the ARIA manga is doing saleswise under TP's control.

At least the manga wasn't cancelled. Too be honest, I don't really care about the other titles. I knew this might happen, Tokyopop is in need of stabilizing their company.
Shonaille

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
It looks like to me they are just delaying the releases of some titles like Love Mode. Apparently volume 10 and 11 would of been released 2-3 months from each other before they removed 11 from the July solicits. They will most likely push the last volume to December or early next year when the company is stabilized because I know that is one of their better sellers for the Blu line if Amazon is any indication.
Also as a customer, I would be pissed to buy 10 volumes of a series, only to have the last volume never come out. That kind of practice would hurt them in the long run because who would trust them to actually finish a series in the future? I know I wouldn't.
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Gah, I was hoping the Trinity Blood novels would be okay, but apparently not. D:
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
erilot wrote:

Plus, the prices just keep getting worse. Come on, $9.99 for a manga.

What's wrong with 9.99? That's been the standard price for manga in the U.S. for years. Most none Shonen jump/Shojo Beat titles from Viz are 9.99. Del Rey charges 11.95 to 12.95. DMP charges 12.95, Seven Seas some of their titles are 11.95. I could keep going on. Tokyopop is one on of the primary reasons manga is priced at the 9.99 price point. It used to be all titles were 14.99 to 19.99 and up. Yes manga in the U.S. is more expensive then in Japan, but it also sells way more in Japan which then makes up for the lower price point. Also there is a licensing fee to consider for every where else in the world. Remember companies are in business to make profit.

I'm a bit sad though, I have several titles on that list. I hope they well get re-solicited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
While I am relieved that none of the titles I am buying were listed, I am dissapointed about the cancellation of the Chibi Vampire light novel series. I found the first 4 quite enjoyable.

I am a big Gundam anime fan, but every review of Gundam manga has been so bad that I have stayed away from them. Not to mention that mech fights need motion. The only manga I own with mechs is the Full Metal Panic! series, which clearly focuses on the other parts of the series than the mech action. Oh yeah, I forgot about Evangelion, which has provided an enjoyable amount of extra depth to the Eva mythos.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
try living north of the border. I have to pay 12-15 bucks per manga STILL even though our dollar is on par with US.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I am a big Gundam anime fan, but every review of Gundam manga has been so bad that I have stayed away from them. Not to mention that mech fights need motion. The only manga I own with mechs is the Full Metal Panic! series, which clearly focuses on the other parts of the series than the mech action. Oh yeah, I forgot about Evangelion, which has provided an enjoyable amount of extra depth to the Eva mythos.

As a big Gundam fan myself, I really liked it. I find the early stuff making me think of a mix of Gunbuster (young female pilot-in-training who isn't really good at first, older female top ace in class, older and mysterious teacher, older boy the main girl starts to crush on) with the real robots and war of Gundam.

I really hope it gets restarted. This is volume 9, and while I don't know how long the series is, I wouldn't think it would be much longer. Perhaps maybe two or three more volumes. With so much already out, I would hope they go ahead and finish it.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to note that Gosick, Missing, and the Karin novels have been confirmed to be cancelled 2-3 weeks ago on AoD. So don't expect those to come back unless a miracle happens and they decide to continue them.

posterior_praiser wrote:
try living north of the border. I have to pay 12-15 bucks per manga STILL even though our dollar is on par with US.

Well, if you know where to shop, you can buy it at American cover price, without paying tax to boot.

Unless you live in a small city/town and you know your options available are the only options you have, then I digress.

In any case, I was only collecting two titles from Tokyopop regularly - one finished last month (Dragon Head) and another I suspect that they won't cancel, but I'm still taking a "anything can happen" approach in case it does (Welcome to the NHK!). So in terms of those, I am safe.

Though the stuff I've been buying infrequently aren't, though. Notably, this would be Boys Be... (2nd), which has had its release pattern altered twice, with the recent slowdown now becoming one volume every six months, which certainly doesn't bode well in terms of its future, and one can only imagine how well its selling based on that.

I'm also a little worried about The Twelve Kingdoms novels. I only purchased the first volume because it was such a steal (I got my hardcover copy for only $5!), but I have heard how good it is, so I wouldn't want to see a good series that I'm about to start, cancelled.

I was also planning on buying the Trinity Blood novels, seeing as that's the original source material. But now I'm going to wait until we have an indication that it's not going to be cancelled. I know that things can be re-solicited, but I don't want to take my chances, seeing as I already have one MIA title (Cromartie High School) on my bookshelf.
Iceqwene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
It seems like I'm the only person still reading Dragon Voice. It was on it's last volume too. It seems that for having only 1 volume left they could finish most of these series. I buy a lot of series, both anime and manga. Starting with Geneon, I have had numerous series that are left incomplete. I know the companies need their customers to buy their anime/ manga to stay in business, but I find it hard to want to put money in to a series just to have the company discontinue it.
LavenderAna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Yeah, not good for Suppli indeed. I hope it gets re-solicited. I'll still buy volume 3 though.

Ditto.
JnxCsc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
NO! I was looking foward to the second Gosick novel.

Well this sucks.

I also wanted to start reading Twelve Kingdoms. Everyone said the books were so good. I thought I give them a try since it's easier for me to get involved in a book than an anime.

Last edited by JnxCsc on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Well my friends won't be happy about Noatsu Junkie being delayed, but I'm more upset about the Trinity Blood volume since there are 12 of those books, at this rate I'm going to be in and out of college by the time they are done.
On the bright side, this does give me time to buy the others so when they start releasing again I'll be able to buy them as they come out...
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
emilydastrange wrote:
I was only worried about Silver Diamond

I wouldn't worry about Silver Diamond for a while. The editor told me that the release rate may slow down, but the book is still on the active list for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5